John Tortorella rips into Jack Johnson, Jim Rutherford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Small man in small org has small man syndrome. Hard to respect an operation so insecure.

Reactions: Trade

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I'll admit, when I first read Jack Johnson's comments, I thought that it could be taken as a slight to Columbus. I didn't think that they were malicious but they were a little careless. However, Tortorella's response is (as usual) way over the top. I'm honestly surprised that he has coached in the NHL for as long as he has given his proclivity for non-productive look-at-me rants. If a team is in part a reflection of their coach, why the hell would anyone choose John Tortorella and his emotional man-baby syndrome to build a culture around? If I'm picking I would choose cool, calm and collected ten out of ten times over the exhausting emotional circus this dude hangs his hat on. X's and O's are important, but attitude is, too.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

me1ch

Jul 18, 2006
Vancouver
What Jim Rutherford said amounts to an assertion that the Columbus organisation did not treat a player fairly and is not committed to put in the best lineup. The Columbus GM and coach obviously need to assert on record that is false, especially during the free agency period. The style of the retort from Torts is just him being himself, with the reasonable assumption that JJ told JR that.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You call it "baseless speculation" on JR's part, but he didn't say "well, I think I might know what the reason is..." or anything to that point. He straight up said "I know the reason Jack wasn't play." That's not speculation. He's not a person who has a history of lobbing baseless accusations at people, so, yet again, why should we be inclined to believe he would start now?

I think Tortorella's reaction is more telling than anything anyone from Pittsburgh said (JJ or JR)

That's how this works now?

Sweet, I'm about to go making baseless accusations against all sorts of people. And if they react negatively, it's obvious that they're hiding something and therefore it's obviously all true.

This will be fun.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What Jim Rutherford said amounts to an assertion that the Columbus organisation did not treat a player fairly and is not committed to put in the best lineup. The Columbus GM and coach obviously need to assert on record that is false, especially during the free agency period. The style of the retort from Torts is just him being himself, with the reasonable assumption that JJ told JR that.

That makes too much sense to be true. It must be that all these Pens fans actually know the real truth.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Where did JJ " Rip" Columbus? He said it was good to come to a winning organization. Is anything he said incorrect? Are the Pens a winning organization?

Well since JJ himself apologized for how he worded it, I'd say it isn't out of the realm of possibilities to assume one can read this into a "Columbus is an organization with a losing mentality" sort of statement.

But yeah, he apologized and that's that.

That should have been the end of it, but let's ignore the Rutherford jabs and completely rip on Torts since it's the cool thing to do and just jump on the "Torts is crazy" bandwagon.

Torts is a class act and it's just silly to see how certain groups rip on the guy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll admit, when I first read Jack Johnson's comments, I thought that it could be taken as a slight to Columbus. I didn't think that they were malicious but they were a little careless. However, Tortorella's response is (as usual) way over the top. I'm honestly surprised that he has coached in the NHL for as long as he has given his proclivity for non-productive look-at-me rants. If a team is in part a reflection of their coach, why the hell would anyone choose John Tortorella and his emotional man-baby syndrome to build a culture around? If I'm picking I would choose cool, calm and collected ten out of ten times over the exhausting emotional circus this dude hangs his hat on. X's and O's are important, but attitude is, too.
New guy comes to a team that won 2 in the last 3yrs. He's gonna say that sort of thing. Only an idiot turns it into something about him.

Which naturally Torts did. Not surprised. That guy is a moron. Surprised Columbus still has him around to be honest. I thought he already wore out his welcome a while ago.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
New guy comes to a team that won 2 in the last 3yrs. He's gonna say that sort of thing. Only an idiot turns it into something about him.

Which naturally Torts did. Not surprised. That guy is a moron. Surprised Columbus still has him around to be honest. I thought he already wore out his welcome a while ago.
I assume JR is a saint in your POV?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This seem like a huge overreaction. What Jack Johnson said sounded more like a comment on the Penguins to me. You go to a team that has won three Cups, you comment on their winning culture. That is not an insult to anyone else.

As for Rutherford's comment, I don't get why he would drop some weird hints like that. I'm not a fan of it. It seemed like he just respond to the backlash with "well, there's a reason we like him more than anyone else does." But again, I don't see it as something worth getting bent out of shape for. And Torts really seemed bent out of shape.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Well since JJ himself apologized for how he worded it, I'd say it isn't out of the realm of possibilities to assume one can read this into a "Columbus is an organization with a losing mentality" sort of statement.

But yeah, he apologized and that's that.

That should have been the end of it, but let's ignore the Rutherford jabs and completely rip on Torts since it's the cool thing to do and just jump on the "Torts is crazy" bandwagon.

Torts is a class act and it's just silly to see how certain groups rip on the guy.

Isn't this the same guy who said Malkin & Crosby are " Whiners". And if you're gonna say he was " right", then you can't turn around & say JJ was " Wrong" for what he said.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Yeah did I miss something Jack Johnson said? It was pretty tame.

He said " I'm glad to go to a winning organization". Now, if he had said:
" It's finally good to be with a winning organization", yeah....I could see them getting upset.

Torts is upset because he thought JJ was indicating Pittsburgh is a better organization. I think Torts knows, deep down, they are a better organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad