John Tortorella rips into Jack Johnson, Jim Rutherford

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Surprised to see those comments from Rutherford considering he's usually a pretty milquetoast controversy-averse GM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who whines about not being played when he isn't one of the 6 best guys?

It's tough but that's the business.

Also idk what Rutherford is talking about besides trying to make his decision look better?

That's what my original thought was, I didn't think anything of the comment until Tortorella went full psycho on it.

Here's what I'll say on their comments, if what Rutherford said wasn't true, this isn't the reply that makes me think that he was just making shit up. This looks like the reply of someone who is guilty and is overly defensive about it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That's what my original thought was, I didn't think anything of the comment until Tortorella went full psycho on it.

Here's what I'll say on their comments, if what Rutherford said wasn't true, this isn't the reply that makes me think that he was just making **** up. This looks like the reply of someone who is guilty and is overly defensive about it.
Yeah I wouldn't have said what Torts said obviously. First, I don't feel like anyone needed to address why Johnson didn't play (or why the CBJ went out after Ian Cole at the TDL when their defense was all healthy). Just say "we are glad to have him, he is a good player, yadda yadda."

After their comments, Torts should have just hit on the points:
Isn't one of our top-6 defenseman.
Was a good soldier for the team when he was here.
It's a business. You have to make tough choices.
We will continue to be a competitive team with a winning culture.
Good luck.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Torts is an angry little man. You'd think that Johnson went on a tirade. All he said was he was happy to be a part of a winning culture.

I could see why the Blue Jackets would take offense to that comment, but to fly off the handle like that is pathetic.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Here's what I'll say on their comments, if what Rutherford said wasn't true, this isn't the reply that makes me think that he was just making **** up. This looks like the reply of someone who is guilty and is overly defensive about it.

Please. That was a clear shot at the Jackets on something the guy has no clue about. Johnson got outplayed by six other guys -- end of story.

Sign the guy, be happy with your acquisition, and move the hell on.

Reactions: BCYa

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Please. That was a clear shot at the Jackets on something the guy has no clue about. Johnson got outplayed by six other guys -- end of story.

Sign the guy, be happy with your acquisition, and move the hell on.

The comments Rutherford and Johnson made were nothing comments until Tortorella got insanely defensive about them. Most people didn't even react to them when they were tweeted out.

Tortorella has always proven to be a massive baby, so I'm guessing that's why he reacted like this. His insanely defensive reaction just gives credibility to the probably baseless claims that Rutherford made. I truly thought that if that comment meant anything, it was just JR trying to justify giving JJ 5 years after the season he had last year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
One thing I do think that needs to be mentioned is that Tortorella and Johnson had a very personal bond.

I'm not saying they were lovers but... this kind of reaction seems like the one you'd see by a stilted lover on facebook.

Also good on Jack Johnson for being the bigger man.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

jack johnson responds back

That's what I interpreted Johnson to be saying in the first place. I didn't think he meant "I'm glad I'm on Pittsburgh because Columbus was a bunch of losers", I thought he meant "I'm glad to be on Pittsburgh because they've won a lot in recent years". That's why I don't get the reaction by Tortorella, I didn't view him to be taking a shot at the Jackets.

Reactions: pi314

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
The comments Rutherford and Johnson made were nothing comments until Tortorella got insanely defensive about them. Most people didn't even react to them when they were tweeted out.

It wasn't a "nothing comment.". Nothing comments don't cause reactions from the pervious GM and Coach. It was a classless shot by Rutherford no matter your spin.

Reactions: BCYa

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Tortorella has always proven to be a massive baby, so I'm guessing that's why he reacted like this. His insanely defensive reaction just gives credibility to the probably baseless claims that Rutherford made. I truly thought that if that comment meant anything, it was just JR trying to justify giving JJ 5 years after the season he had last year.

Nah.

Torts always goes full psycho to defend his team. The Jackets bent over backwards to help JJ last season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wasn't a "nothing comment.". Nothing comments don't cause reactions from the pervious GM and Coach. It was a classless shot by Rutherford no matter your spin.

Tortorella has been crying about the Penguins ever since his time with the Rangers. I don't really give a crap about what he thinks about the Penguins, because the dude is a grade A baby when it comes to the Penguins.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
All I know is Johnson is going to be really motivated and people can say what they want but at the end of this season let’s see how he performed. I bet he is going to do real well for the Pens. Teams did not play him his whole career 24+ minutes a game if they believed he was a bottom pairing guy like many people are saying. Two years ago when he dropped to 22 minutes he had a great season with 2nd best +/- on his team. All the years before he was playing too many minutes for his abilities and that was not his fault because he was the best those teams had to eat 24+ minutes a game.

Last year was not as good but his skating and talent is still good from the film I watched and I bet he plays like the 2016-17 version with more points due to more offensive zone starts and more PP time with the Pens. Pens play PP units almost equally time wise and that second unit will be Letang or Schultz, Brassard, Guentzel, Sprong, and Johnson so they will light it up as a second unit. I believe he does have too 4 talent and has played like it his whole career besides last season. Miscast as top pair his first 10 years in the league and will do great with 20 minutes a game in Pittsburgh.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He certainly has and I'm not debating that. I'm debating that Rutherford's comments were not "nothing comments" and indeed were a shot at the Jackets org.

I just have a hard time taking him seriously when he acts like Rutherford broke some sacred rule when he's done the same thing much more harshly numerous times.

This is Pens vs Blue Jackets in nutshell, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad