John Tonelli - # Not Retired = Disgrace

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Tonelli deserves to have his # retired just because his level of play merits it. I don't buy that you base it on the Pens series and say there would have been no dynasty without him. By that logic, Mike McEwen should have his # retired because he was just as instrumental as Tonelli in that final game.

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
All I'm saying is
this is a Tonelli thread
If you are an Isles fan
and you really watched those 4 cups being won
and weren't at the beer stand
and watched Tonelli leave his blood, sweat and tears on the ice for eight years
Not to mention he has great stats to back it up
and you're still opposed to him receiving the highest honor from the Isles fans and the organization and their fans
you're *****ing lame...just flat out *****ing lame
and I don't take it back
Definitely...cups in "80 and "82 do not happen without Tonelli

I hope the Caps continue to enjoy seeing Dale Hunter's number at every home game while our kids say "Who's John Tonelli?"

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
All I'm saying is
this is a Tonelli thread
If you are an Isles fan
and you're still opposed to him receiving the highest honor from the Isles fans and the organization and their fans
and I don't take it back

I hope the Caps continue to enjoy seeing Dale Hunter's number at every home game while our kids say "Who's John Tonelli?"

Wow. You sure told us! OK, you win.

:laugh:

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
And what about the other dynasty from the 80's? How have the Edmonton Oilers honored their players? Interestingly, up to this point, the Oilers, like the Isles, have retired 6 numbers from their dynasty run; Gretzky (99), Kurri (17), Fuhr (31) , Coffey (7), Messier (11), and Anderson (9). However, unlike the Isles, the Oilers have an additional 7th number retired from another era, Al Hamilton, their WHA Captain and defenseman from the 70's. Let's just say as a 7th retired number, Tonelli's #27 makes a lot more sense next to Nystrom's #23 than Al's #3 next to Wayne's #99. Oiler's fans have survived, so can we.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
All I'm saying is
this is a Tonelli thread
If you are an Isles fan
and I don't take it back

Just do like the Yankees and retire every outstanding player. Just ridiculous.

I hate the Maple Leafs but I love how they honor the player and number. You know how many TML numbers are retired? Two. #4 and #5. The rest are still "active" though rarely used but honored like Salming's 21 or Sittler's 27.

Dale Hunter's number retired? That is a riot.

I loved Tonelli as a member of the Islanders cup teams but he is not a hall of famer. He IS however one of my favorite players and highly appreciated but I don't need to see his jersey in rafters to understand his contribution.

Retiring numbers for every big contributor dilutes the significance of retiring a number for a generation type player or a player honored in a way that the Leafs honored Ace Bailey's #6 when he died in 9/11 attacks.

5/19/22 are in the generational group. Arguments can be made either way for 9/23/31 and that no way impacts their impact on the cup teams. I'm a much tougher grader when it comes to "retiring" a number.

I think a fair comparison for Tonelli in another sport is Paul O'Neil on the Yanks. Do Yanks win WS without O'Neil? Doubtful. Does O'Neil belong in monument park? Not in my opinion (nor about 8 other players, Manager's numbers have no place there IMO).

I'm for giving a special player an honor of passing along a number that means something to a team. I absolutely loved Trots but it wouldn't it be fun to see Tavares wearing it? What better way to honor Trottier?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just do like the Yankees and retire every outstanding player. Just ridiculous.

I hate the Maple Leafs but I love how they honor the player and number. You know how many TML numbers are retired? Two. #4 and #5. The rest are still "active" though rarely used but honored like Salming's 21 or Sittler's 27.

Dale Hunter's number retired? That is a riot.

I loved Tonelli as a member of the Islanders cup teams but he is not a hall of famer. He IS however one of my favorite players and highly appreciated but I don't need to see his jersey in rafters to understand his contribution.

Retiring numbers for every big contributor dilutes the significance of retiring a number for a generation type player or a player honored in a way that the Leafs honored Ace Bailey's #6 when he died in 9/11 attacks.

5/19/22 are in the generational group. Arguments can be made either way for 9/23/31 and that no way impacts their impact on the cup teams. I'm a much tougher grader when it comes to "retiring" a number.

I think a fair comparison for Tonelli in another sport is Paul O'Neil on the Yanks. Do Yanks win WS without O'Neil? Doubtful. Does O'Neil belong in monument park? Not in my opinion (nor about 8 other players, Manager's numbers have no place there IMO).

I'm for giving a special player an honor of passing along a number that means something to a team. I absolutely loved Trots but it wouldn't it be fun to see Tavares wearing it? What better way to honor Trottier?

Totally agree with this. Retiring a players number should not be taken lightly. There are plenty of ways to honor a player without having to retire their number. It should be reserved for the truly iconic players in the game, and even then sparingly.

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
All good arguments.
I've laid off the caffeine for a couple days
Still want #27 retired though and by no means was I negging #31...
Let's not confuse the issue
31,22,19 and 5 are locks to be retired
I understand arguments against 23 and 9, but I'm obviously more lenient and would keep 'em up

Islanders do a piss poor job of acknowledging their history. It boggles my mind...just because the dynasty run was 30 years ago, doesn't mean it should now be a monkey on your back, the organization and fans should still take pride in it.

For my money, 16 and 27 to the rafters and B Sutter and Goring in the HOF, simple as that. It's not over doing it. The run they had was RIDICULOUS!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
All good arguments.
I've laid off the caffeine for a couple days
Still want #27 retired though and by no means was I negging #31...
Let's not confuse the issue
31,22,19 and 5 are locks to be retired
I understand arguments against 23 and 9, but I'm obviously more lenient and would keep 'em up

Islanders do a piss poor job of acknowledging their history. It boggles my mind...just because the dynasty run was 30 years ago, doesn't mean it should now be a monkey on your back, the organization and fans should still take pride in it.

For my money, 16 and 27 to the rafters and B Sutter and Goring in the HOF, simple as that. It's not over doing it. The run they had was RIDICULOUS!!!

See, I disagree completely. I think the organization/fans focus too much on the dynasty years. Maybe I'm alone in that thought though.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
See, I disagree completely. I think the organization/fans focus too much on the dynasty years. Maybe I'm alone in that thought though.

I agree 110%. They have nothing else to celebrate so the majority of their special nights revolves around the dynasty. It's been that way since I've been a fan....and I wasn't alive for the dynasty!

Enough is enough. It's one thing to remember the past, it's a another thing to dwell on it. We've been dwelling on it for DECADES now. It's time to MOVE ON.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

Total agreement here.

Talking about Islander Dynasty years ad nauseum reminds me a bit of Al Bundy talking about his high school football glory days (some of us do that a bit here too lol!).

I would be SO HAPPY to see this team do well this last year at the Coli. I cannot imagine what it would be like on LI if this team actually won a cup this year...could you imagine??? Even just to make a good run would be great!!

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
Actually, when people celebrate, they just choose to focus on the good years, that's all!
It was a great time! It's not just the '86 Mets we're talking about here. Dynasty guys did something for each other and the fans that hasn't been done since and won't be done again.
Why do we have to act like we're the Buffalo Sabres? or 4 cups is now a monkey on our back instead of something to be proud of? Why are you rooting for a cup this year if three years from now, it doesn't matter again??
Tonelli should be recognized, in some way, for what he did during his eight years with the Isles because that's just the thing, he's not discussed "ad nauseum" like other members of the dynasty era who are...too many Isles fans think Shawn Bates penalty shot against the Leafs is the 2nd greatest moment in Islanders history, which is a clear indication to me, they don't know much about John Tonelli, who was part of at least three moments, greater than the Bates goal. You should walk into the Coliseum, look up and see Tonelli represented, somehow,somewhere, right now, he's nowhere = flat out,not right
Petition is here folks...sign if you like, don't if you don't want too

https://www.change.org/p/new-york-i...retired-before-the-islanders-move-to-brooklyn

and yes it would be great to have an awesome year at the Coliseum this last year too!!

Last edited:

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
Agreed 100%. If we were in the NVMC for the next 2 seasons we wouldn't hear this talk. The fact that it's only being brought up due to the last year in NVMC, signals to me that he's not really deserving.

Also, this thread was started years ago

tommyhendo15

Aug 18, 2014
Thank you for pointing that out.

It averages one page of posts per YEAR. I think it's safe to say that it's not discussed that often and/or seriously.

It's 6 pages long and the petition and facebook group members don't overlap...
about 500 fans disagree and that's just the ones who know about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad