John Tonelli - # Not Retired = Disgrace

FerraroToVolek

Mar 3, 2008
First of all, hello to all. I've lurked on these boards for a while and enjoy reading the posts of fellow Islander fans. I am a longtime season-ticket holder.

Now, to the matter at hand:

I haven't posted anything on an internet message board in years, so this feels odd for me, but this topic has bothered me enough that I now feel compelled to post here in an effort to get answers from fellow Islander fans who might be able to help.

The purpose of this thread is twofold: (1) to draw attention to the disgraceful fact that John Tonelli's # is not retired, and (2) to get answers as to why.

The question is: why is John Tonelli's # not retired? This is embarrassing. This has troubled me more and more over the last few years as I watched other notable Isles greats being honored with their banners raised to the rafters.

Yesterday, my curiosity/outrage on this matter only came to a head, when Tonelli made a rare appearance at the Coliseum at the "Core of the Four" celebration. It was like a sighting of a very rare endangered species. It's just not something you see at the Coliseum.

People in my section, including my Dad (who is just as baffled by the Tonelli issue) were openly wondering what the deal is with Tonelli. Seeing him only increased the speculation. Then, a guy sitting behind us vocalized (very loudly) what we were all thinking - "RETIRE HIS NUMBER!!!" This guy screamed this at the top of his powerful lungs when Tonelli was introduced, and everyone in the arena could hear it.

It has now reached the point where it is painfully obvious that there is something wrong here. I'm not going to speculate as to what might have happened behind the scenes, or if someone on either side has a grudge they are not willing to let go of. I simply don't know. That is why I am making this post. It should also be noted that Tonelli was the last Islander to be introduced during the ceremony, and I was also told that he showed up at the last minute (which may very well be a rumor, but if true, would not be surprising).

Nystrom, Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Arbour, Torrey, Goring - these guys are all celebrated, and are frequently trotted out to recall the glories of years past - in particular Nystrom and Bossy. Nothing against Nystrom, but Tonelli was clearly a better player than Nystrom. Let's not forget that the iconic Cup-winning goal in 1980 was not just "Nystrom," it was "Tonelli to Nystrom."

Another thing that is beyond debate is that the Islanders would not have won four straight cups without Tonelli. He was an excellent player. Perhaps his most important accomplishment/moment was on April 13, 1982, when he rescued the Islanders' third cup run from what would have been a disastrous and shocking loss to the Penguins in the 1st round of the playoffs that year. In the deciding game five, Tonelli assisted on Mike McEwen's goal to close within 3-2 with just over five minutes remaing, then Tonelli scored the tying goal with just over two minutes remaining. Finally, he capped it off with the overtime winner to win the series. That is as good as it gets. That is also undeniably one of the most important moments of the dynasty.

Specific moments aside, Tonelli's Islander career was consistently brilliant. He was not a good Islander, he was a great Islander. In his eight seasons as an Islander, his point totals were: 56, 44, 52, 93, 71, 67, 100, 61. Let's not forget his outstanding and clutch point contributions during the four Cup years: 16,13, 16, 18.

I don't need to go on because this post could get much longer than it already is and I've made my point.

I look forward to any comments, insight, or otherwise on this pressing issue.

Isles4ever11

Apr 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.twitter.com
Tonelli was great, from all the Isles games I've seen from the dynasty (and I have seen many), but not great enough to have his number retired. Hell, I don't even think Nystrom should - but that's another story.

He should absolutely be in the Isles hall of fame there, and he will be.

FerraroToVolek

Mar 3, 2008
Either way, Nystrom's # is retired and Tonelli's # is not. Which is pretty interesting and makes me curious as to why.

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
First off, welcome to the boards. I hope that you stick around and decide to post more.

I agree with you 100%. JT was one of my favorite players from that era and his number absolutely deserves to be up there, IMO. Was he a HOFer like the rest (save Nystrom)? No, but was he a special player in Islander history? Absolutely. Now, I know that people make the argument that if you retire his number, then you almost have to do Persson or Bourne or others so I do think that a line should be drawn at some point. I just think that JT falls above the line and not below it.

If you ask me who is the hardest working current Islander, it is Sean Bergenheim. He reminds me of JT, except that JT had a better scoring touch and if you can imagine it, he actually worked even harder than Bergie does. The man was a terror on every shift and would do anything to win. The Dynasty does not exist without John Tonelli.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I used to disagree with Nystrom's number being up there but I have come around to it. The man was clutch and was everything you wanted a teammate to be, hence his moniker.

exactly, and if Nystrom's is up there then J.T.'s should be up there as well.

BJo

Sep 28, 2006
New York, NY
I wasn't around in those days, so I'm not the best guy to chime in here. But when talking about Nystrom I think his longevity with the team is part of the reason he's in the rafters. He's an original Islander who spent all 14 of his seasons with this club. There is a reason he's called "Mr. Islander." So while I would agree that Tonelli was probably the better hockey player (going off what people tell me, including you) I think more than just skill goes into banners being retired. Just my thoughts. As far as Tonelli going up there, I never watched him enough or know enough about him to make a judgment.

Isles4ever11

Apr 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.twitter.com
First off, welcome to the boards. I hope that you stick around and decide to post more.

I agree with you 100%. JT was one of my favorite players from that era and his number absolutely deserves to be up there, IMO. Was he a HOFer like the rest (save Nystrom)? No, but was he a special player in Islander history? Absolutely. Now, I know that people make the argument that if you retire his number, then you almost have to do Persson or Bourne or others so I do think that a line should be drawn at some point. I just think that JT falls above the line and not below it.

If you ask me who is the hardest working current Islander, it is Sean Bergenheim. He reminds me of JT, except that JT had a better scoring touch and if you can imagine it, he actually worked even harder than Bergie does. The man was a terror on every shift and would do anything to win. The Dynasty does not exist without John Tonelli.

You're right, but like you said the line does have to be drawn somewhere. And from all the games I've watched, Tonelli was easily one of my favorites. I know had I been alive that I would have loved the guy and gotten his jersey (probably one with no crest because those were expensive at the time :biglaugh:).

But yeah, the line needs to be drawn, and IMO it should have been drawn at the HHOF's. It's nothing personal against guys like Ny and JT, who were great Islanders, but retired numbers should be an extremely rare event.

There are other ways to honor those guys, like an Islanders Hall of Fame, which is perfect. Get their name on that big banner but the number is still in use.

Just my opinion - and I know I wasn't born for the dynasty but that is how I see it.

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
I wasn't around in those days, so I'm not the best guy to chime in here. But when talking about Nystrom I think his longevity with the team is part of the reason he's in the rafters. He's an original Islander who spent all 14 of his seasons with this club. There is a reason he's called "Mr. Islander." So while I would agree that Tonelli was probably the better hockey player (going off what people tell me, including you) I think more than just skill goes into banners being retired. Just my thoughts. As far as Tonelli going up there, I never watched him enough or know enough about him to make a judgment.

You young guns would have LOVED Tonelli. No doubt about it.

Badger Bob

Was he a HOFer like the rest (save Nystrom)? No, but was he a special player in Islander history? Absolutely. Now, I know that people make the argument that if you retire his number, then you almost have to do Persson or Bourne or others so I do think that a line should be drawn at some point. I just think that JT falls above the line and not below it.

Some form of objective standards have to be established, as clubs have gone overboard with the pre-game ceremonies. Jersey retirements used to be reserved for the absolute best of the best, which was one of the finest honors other than HOF induction. To start, the HOF is a great starting point, but obviously not ever franchise has the same history and tradition of Toronto and Montreal, who didn't even bestow that honor on every deserving alumni.

FerraroToVolek

Mar 3, 2008
Killer Carlson: thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. Glad to be here.

To everyone else: thanks for all the posts so far. I'm glad that a discussion is developing on this topic. It's about time!

Keep the insights and thoughts coming.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I used to disagree with Nystrom's number being up there but I have come around to it. The man was clutch and was everything you wanted a teammate to be, hence his moniker.

Plus, he's been an Islander for 35 years now.

I like Tonelli in the Isles HoF, but not in the rafters.

BJo

Sep 28, 2006
New York, NY
Do you ever think they chose Bourne as the first member of the Isles Hall of Fame over Tonelli because they didn't want to foreclose the possibility of putting Tonelli in the rafters? Whereas, if you are put in the Isles Hall of Fame, i doubt they would then subsequently put you in the rafters.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
JT: was definately my favorite Islander back in day, he was nuts and would do anthing to win. loved his motor and was so clutch! JT, JT, JT . Bergenheim reminds me of JT but much prettier unfurtunately, lol

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
FerraroToVolek great post and great name by the way.

I'm a young gun on this topic and never saw Tonelli play live, but history does prove that he has a right to be retired. He was as much a key element to the 4 Cups as arguably everyone that hangs in the rafters at the Coli (maybe I'm stretching it, but you get my point). He came through in the clutch and at times put the team on his back and willed them to win. We do sometimes seem to forget who game Ny that pass in OT or not give as much credit to Tonelli for that.

Keep the posts coming F2V, hopefully one day they will realize your thoughts, unfortunately, if it hasn't happend now I don't think it will.

GilliesGirlie

Mar 12, 2006
former Long Islander
Outstanding first post!

:handclap: :handclap:

Glad you finally decided to post, we could use more like you.

I agree, JT's number should be up in the rafters. One could only hope it gets done soon.

BJo

Sep 28, 2006
New York, NY
Speaking of "Tonelli to Nystrom," i had this HORRIBLE woman behind me at the game on Saturday. She was a Flyers fan, (which is fine, i don't care if you come to away games) but when Nystrom came out before the game she continuously kept yelling "he was offsides, he was offsides, he was offsides." Like shut the hell up. God, it happened 25 years ago, get over it. Just shut your stupid mouth already. it was so horrible. Then the Flyers scored and she was like "sorry, i'm a flyers fan but i root for the isles when they aren't playing." Like thats not any consolation to me. The fact is that you are sitting here in my stadium and scored against my team and you are cheering for the other. I could care less if the Islanders are your "second favorite team." Just shut up and stop trying to make it out like we should like you. it was so horrible.

Killer Carlson

Nov 8, 2005
Dallas/Fort Worth
I am one of those young guns...I am 19, wondering if there is a current player you could compare him to, or a mix of players u could

Yeah, I kind of did. He's Sean Bergenheim with better hands and an even better motor. He could score a ton of goals if they needed him to and he could carry a team for a stretch. If you are a Bergie fan, you'd LOVE Tonelli b/c he was even better. I would say that he played bigger on the ice, too, for some reason. I don't know if JT was taller than Sean but he seemed like it to me. Bergie might be a bit bulkier up top, though.

JT saw a whole lot of time on Trottier's line and they were a great tandem. The game was different then and there was no better 'digger' than JT. Puck pinned against the boards? JT was coming out with it. Maybe bloody but not as bloody as the other guy.

I also remember him playing for a time on Brent Sutter's wing and that was a pretty lethal combo, IIRC.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
Speaking of "Tonelli to Nystrom," i had this HORRIBLE woman behind me at the game on Saturday. She was a Flyers fan, (which is fine, i don't care if you come to away games) but when Nystrom came out before the game she continuously kept yelling "he was offsides, he was offsides, he was offsides." Like shut the hell up. God, it happened 25 years ago, get over it. Just shut your stupid mouth already. it was so horrible. Then the Flyers scored and she was like "sorry, i'm a flyers fan but i root for the isles when they aren't playing." Like thats not any consolation to me. The fact is that you are sitting here in my stadium and scored against my team and you are cheering for the other. I could care less if the Islanders are your "second favorite team." Just shut up and stop trying to make it out like we should like you. it was so horrible.

Nah, I think that's funny. That's one of the great things about hockey, how everyone gets so passionate. When I think back to the 92-93 playoffs vs Montreal, I always think "Too many men!! Too many men!!"

I'm sure if the tables were turned and some guy drove a dagger into our hearts like Nystom did to Flyers fans, we'd remember it for a long time too. She wasn't trying to protest, just trying to keep up the rivalry.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
Either way, Nystrom's # is retired and Tonelli's # is not. Which is pretty interesting and makes me curious as to why.

where you the guy that yelled retire his number yesterday during the ceremony?

Also, I had the drunk bus of Flyer fans sitting behind us. They came with 30 people on a bus and kept doing Sparta chants.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
Nothing against Nystrom, but Tonelli was clearly a better player than Nystrom. Let's not forget that the iconic Cup-winning goal in 1980 was not just "Nystrom," it was "Tonelli to Nystrom."

Another thing that is beyond debate is that the Islanders would not have won four straight cups without Tonelli. He was an excellent player. Perhaps his most important accomplishment/moment was on April 13, 1982, when he rescued the Islanders' third cup run from what would have been a disastrous and shocking loss to the Penguins in the 1st round of the playoffs that year. In the deciding game five, Tonelli assisted on Mike McEwen's goal to close within 3-2 with just over five minutes remaing, then Tonelli scored the tying goal with just over two minutes remaining. Finally, he capped it off with the overtime winner to win the series. That is as good as it gets. That is also undeniably one of the most important moments of the dynasty.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Without JT, in my opinion, there wouldn't have been 4 straight cups. He was the epitome of the word clutch. JT's jersey belongs in the rafters.

BJo

Sep 28, 2006
New York, NY
Nah, I think that's funny. That's one of the great things about hockey, how everyone gets so passionate. When I think back to the 92-93 playoffs vs Montreal, I always think "Too many men!! Too many men!!"

I'm sure if the tables were turned and some guy drove a dagger into our hearts like Nystom did to Flyers fans, we'd remember it for a long time too. She wasn't trying to protest, just trying to keep up the rivalry.

Well when the screaming is in your ear directly behind you it gets annoying :)

StylinIsle30

Feb 13, 2007
New Jersey
Plus, he's been an Islander for 35 years now.

I like Tonelli in the Isles HoF, but not in the rafters.

I agree with Richie here. Yes on Isles HoF, no on jersey retirement.

The things that put Nystrom in the rafters are being an original Islander, playing his entire career with the team, and scoring the 1st Cup-winning goal.

Tonelli had better career scoring numbers, but he played 6 seasons after leaving the Islanders (not his fault, I know, since he was originally traded to Calgary)...and while there's no doubt as to his impact on the Isles' dynasty, I don't think it merits number retirement.

I also agree that it creates a slippery slope that if his # is retired, then why not Sutter, why not Persson, why not Morrow, why not Goring, etc. until you have the entire team memorialized. I think the number retirements from the dynasty team have gone about as far as they can go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad