Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
if somehow this was your lineup...

Kreider - Tavares - Buchnevich
Miller - Zibanejad - Zucc
Vesey - Lias Andersson - Chytil
Fasth - Boo - someone on an ELC

then some combo of.

MCD, Shatty, Skjei, Smith, ADA, Beargloves, Day, Pionk, cheap contract defenseman

with Henrik and Shesty as your backup (is he free the year after?)

thats a cup caliber team...thats a presidents trophy caliber team.

Speed, size, skill all over the damn lineup.

young...just friggin amazing.

its all ridiculous though..i just dont see any way on earth JT leaves the Isles to join the Rangers.....he doesnt strike me as that kinda guy...its like Jeter leaving the Yanks to go to the Sox/Mets

I just don't see it.

I agree with your point about how good that hypothetical Rangers lineup would be, but your Jeter analogy is off the mark. The Yankees are the premiere team in baseball the Isles, right now, are one of the weaker franchises in the NHL. Leaving the Yankees to go to the Mets would be like leaving the Rangers to go to the Islanders, not the other way around.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Is this true for a NTC that hadn't yet kicked in at the time of the trade? If so that seems like a huge flaw in the CBA and should probably be addressed.

Why do you see it as a flaw? I only looked at it is part of his contract.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why do you see it as a flaw? I only looked at it is part of his contract.

Because it makes no sense that a player can choose to accept less money in exchange for the security of a NTC and then not even get the NTC.

It's different if he already has the NTC and then chooses to waive it because he can tell the team that wants to trade for him that he will only accept the deal if they continue to honor the clause if he wants (and if they say they won't he can either accept knowing that he won't have it anymore or decline the deal)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Because it makes no sense that a player can choose to accept less money in exchange for the security of a NTC and then not even get the NTC.

It's different if he already has the NTC and then chooses to waive it because he can tell the team that wants to trade for him that he will only accept the deal if they continue to honor the clause if he wants (and if they say they won't he can either accept knowing that he won't have it anymore or decline the deal)
I did not think Stepan accepted less money or expected his NTC to kick in before the date it was written to in his contract. Some players NTC are for the life of their contracts. Some are limited. Some go away in time. Stepan's just did not kick in before July 2017. It can be a tough business with trades but I think all the terms of the contract were agreed upon by Stepan.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I did not think Stepan accepted less money or expected his NTC to kick in before the date it was written to in his contract. Some players NTC are for the life of their contracts. Some are limited. Some go away in time. Stepan's just did not kick in before July 2017. It can be a tough business with trades but I think all the terms of the contract were agreed upon by Stepan.

He would have got more money if there was no NTC at all in his contract. They're not just giving it to him for free.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He would have got more money if there was no NTC at all in his contract. They're not just giving it to him for free.

Exactly. Didn't he have two years of RFA left before his UFA years started? I believe that's why the NTC began in July

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I understand your logic but can we really just assume that? Would Staal and Girardi have got more? Would Hank have? Sometimes items in a contract are negotiated separately. Okay we agree on salary. Now what about years? Okay we agree on years now what about a full no movement clause? Stepan knew exactly when he would have a NTC kick in and when he wouldn't. It was in black and white in the written deal he negotiated.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even forgetting money for a moment, no one else is concerned about his skating as he gets older, in a league that is getting faster and younger, to go along with production that has been declining for several years?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Grabner, Hayes, Holden off the books in any manner. Staal buyout.

I posted a cap compliant roster somewhere above assuming cap moves up to $77M. Don't remember all of it.

Edit: Found it. I whipped this up quickly with minimal thought. Replace bottom 6 young players with good and cheap stop-gap vets as needed. Point is, it's do-able.

qWzfTJQ.png

This lineup interests me very little. Fast on the third line? Bleh.

Also how are we paying for McDonagh, Buchnevic, and Zuccarello resign/raises the following offseason?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Also how are we paying for McDonagh, Buchnevic, and Zuccarello resign/raises the following offseason?

Figure out a way to move Hank's salary.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Trade Smith, potential big increase in the cap? It's not totally unfathomable. The lineup is a bit short in Irishguy's capfriendly though IMO.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Trade Smith, potential big increase in the cap? It's not totally unfathomable. The lineup is a bit short in Irishguy's capfriendly though IMO.

Well and that has kinda been my point. It's hard to offer Tavares this contract without moving someone else. If you can find a taker for Staal, then it's downright easy.

If you can't, you'll have to move Smith, or trade McDonagh, or something else. You have no room to re-sign guys like Buch, ADA, Bear Gloves, Zucc, etc, without the cap going up. And your bottom 6 is one of the league's worst.

If you could move Staal, and maybe trade Zucc for a young replacement on an ELC, for instance, things get a ton easier.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I have to believe there is a market for staal if he plays to what he's capable of this year... We live in a world where Cam Fowler is getting $8M * 8 Years...

Staal's contractual commitment won't be so large after this yesterday especially if the rangers pay the signing bonuses

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
this has to be a yes for me, you would be getting 5-6 years of elite play

he is one of the 10 best players in the world right now regardless of position

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
this has to be a yes for me, you would be getting 5-6 years of elite play

he is one of the 10 best players in the world right now regardless of position

Agreed. If that offer was on the table and agreed to by both sides, it would be hard not to get excited about it regardless of what salaries would need to be moved around to fit him in.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Nobody knows what will be in 2 years. We need to try to make our team better from the top down (not speaking specifically about Tavares). PB is cost controlled as a RFA. Zooks has never been a top dollar guy. He has shown he wants to be a Ranger repeatedly. Figure McD gets a 3.5 mill raise. Maybe Zooks comes in with a $500k raise. That's is 4 mill combined. I'm sure we can find 4 mill out of Nash, Staal, Holden, etc. If JT shows he can play center and Anderson does as well we might move Hayes. Bottom line is if we have a chance to get a guy that we believe will be a top line player (be it Tavaraes or somebody else) for a good amount of time regardless of position we have to consider it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Nobody knows what will be in 2 years. We need to try to make our team better from the top down (not speaking specifically about Tavares). PB is cost controlled as a RFA. Zooks has never been a top dollar guy. He has shown he wants to be a Ranger repeatedly. Figure McD gets a 3.5 mill raise. Maybe Zooks comes in with a $500k raise. That's is 4 mill combined. I'm sure we can find 4 mill out of Nash, Staal, Holden, etc. If JT shows he can play center and Anderson does as well we might move Hayes. Bottom line is if we have a chance to get a guy that we believe will be a top line player (be it Tavaraes or somebody else) for a good amount of time regardless of position we have to consider it.

Basically this. Tavares is the one UFA that I would make some player sacrifices for. You'll get 5 years of elite play out of his 7 year contract, and by elite, I mean 75 points every year. Even those last 2 years will still be solid 60+ point years.

I would absolutely move on from all of Hayes, Miller, Nash, and Staal via buyout if it meant Tavares could come here.

It's a VERY tight squeeze though. The bottom 6 takes a hit. We'd need Andersson and Chytil to be ready very quickly

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Nash is a UFA after this year so JT would essentially replace his contract if you include a Staal buyout. But you'd need to trade Hayes to be able to keep Miller Vesey and Skjei (my preference at least). Next season we can have a few players on ELCs to help with the cap (Andersson, Chytil, Bereglazov and maybe another D). I think it can be done up to maybe $10 million AAV but really depends how much we'd have to pay the 3 RFAs not named Kevin. I really have no feel for what their contracts would look like.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Basically this. Tavares is the one UFA that I would make some player sacrifices for. You'll get 5 years of elite play out of his 7 year contract, and by elite, I mean 75 points every year. Even those last 2 years will still be solid 60+ point years.

I would absolutely move on from all of Hayes, Miller, Nash, and Staal via buyout if it meant Tavares could come here.

It's a VERY tight squeeze though. The bottom 6 takes a hit. We'd need Andersson and Chytil to be ready very quickly

You better draft like gangbusters to get some middle 6 quality NHL ready wingers too, ASAP.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Agreed. If that offer was on the table and agreed to by both sides, it would be hard not to get excited about it regardless of what salaries would need to be moved around to fit him in.

id be willing to move almost any pieces to make this work and that is mostly down to the fact that he is that good. Nothing to do with who we have now but we havent had a dominate player that wasnt hank in years. He would be that player and once nash's huge contract is off the books we will have some wiggle room to afford him

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm skeptical of him being elite for 2 years, much less 5, but I'd still get excited. Im a fan of the team. That means I root for the players on the team to do well.

I just worry about compensating him for numbers players of his ilk don't usually put up at this point of their careers.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I pass without hesitation. Most forwards peak with offensive production before age 28. He'd be 28 when he signed here. Let's face it, even peak Tavares was only a point per game player twice in his life, and I have a hard time believing he'd ever be again in his 30's. For 10+ million, I'd like a few seasons at a point per game. I think the Rangers would get none out of him. No, no, no. Also, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad