Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
get your soy milk, away from myyyyyy milk! It's making my milk feel bad!!!!

*moo cow **** milk

It's not even soy milk, it's soy juice. But if it were called soy juice, NO ONE WOULD BUYIT!

hqdefault.jpg

Man...WTF is juice?!?

I want some Soy Drink baby!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am actually surprised the board is in favor of something like this and surprised it's as decisive as it is.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Tavares on a big contract? NFW.........

I would not sign him to a big contract. I don't think he will be worth it and certainly not the primary or even final piece to win a Stanley Cup.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I see a lot of dream contracts mentioning 7 years. Tavares is signing for 8 years. I'd go 8x10 and nothing more.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What I'd do is different from what I think NYR management might do.

NYR was reportedly ready to completely rebuild the roster to accommodate Stamkos on a massive deal. My suspicion is they would have a similar plan in the cards were they somehow able to sign Tavares.

Signing JT would mean likely having to trade 2-3 of our major players (Smith/Zuccarello/Miller), maybe even McDonagh, to make it work. I'm not sure it's a clever idea to try to make a top heavy roster with Tavares as the pointman. He isn't Crosby/Malkin.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What I'd do is different from what I think NYR management might do.

NYR was reportedly ready to completely rebuild the roster to accommodate Stamkos on a massive deal. My suspicion is they would have a similar plan in the cards were they somehow able to sign Tavares.

Signing JT would mean likely having to trade 2-3 of our major players (Smith/Zuccarello/Miller), maybe even McDonagh, to make it work. I'm not sure it's a clever idea to try to make a top heavy roster with Tavares as the pointman. He isn't Crosby/Malkin.

To fit Stamkos in likely we would have traded Stepan and found the rest of the change from 1 player. I do not think it would have taken a complete rebuild. To fit Taveras we would not have to trade 2-4 players in my opinion. Nash has around 8 mill expiring. Tavaras will be around 2 mill more. We dont have to trade 8-16 mill in players to fit him. Might not be more than Nash (exp), Holden (trade), and Staal (buyout). People were saying we couldn't afford Shatty and we had no problem affording him by trading only 1 player plus we still have some cap room left over.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Might not be more than Nash (exp), Holden (trade), and Staal (buyout). People were saying we couldn't afford Shatty and we had no problem affording him by trading only 1 player plus we still have some cap room left over.
Holden will be a UFA at the end of the season with Nash. The problem is not so much the cap room to sign JT, it's being able to pay for next years RFAs. One will have to go. Plus we'll have to lean on our prospects heavier than normal. Ultimately, getting 2 (hopefully) good 1st round picks this season may be what would allow us to to make a major signing next year, whether it's JT or someone else.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Holden will be a UFA at the end of the season with Nash. The problem is not so much the cap room to sign JT, it's being able to pay for next years RFAs. One will have to go. Plus we'll have to lean on our prospects heavier than normal. Ultimately, getting 2 (hopefully) good 1st round picks this season may be what would allow us to to make a major signing next year, whether it's JT or someone else.

Wouldn't it be logical to take care of the top player (Tavares) now and worry about taking care of the lesser cost controlled RFA players in 2 years? If Nash, Holden and Staal are gone we should have some room to improve. If we sign Tavares wouldn't we have 5-6 potential centers in 2 years?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, but very doubtful that JT will come here. The storm surge will hit Florida - that`s fact with the latest weather news, but all this about JT is purely speculation.

I know we`ve some hockey fans from Florida here - get on high ground level in the next 24 hours due to storm surge. It can be as high as (6-10) feet it depends how severe the tropical storm is. I`ve been watching CNN news recently and it looks grim, a bit off topic, but could be important info for those who live in the area near the storm.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Wouldn't it be logical to take care of the top player (Tavares) now and worry about taking care of the lesser cost controlled RFA players in 2 years? If Nash, Holden and Staal are gone we should have some room to improve. If we sign Tavares wouldn't we have 5-6 potential centers in 2 years?
I was assuming any signing of JT would occur after this season when Nash/Holden are UFAs and Skjei, Miller, Hayes and Vesey are RFAs. While tiny, the chance that JT signs with the rangers as a UFA next season is much larger than the chance the isles trade him to us this season. If JT signs with the rangers next season the centers are JT, Zib, Andersson and Chytil, who would need to step up (Hayes being traded). Am I missing someone?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I was assuming any signing of JT would occur after this season when Nash/Holden are UFAs and Skjei, Miller, Hayes and Vesey are RFAs. While tiny, the chance that JT signs with the rangers as a UFA next season is much larger than the chance the isles trade him to us this season. If JT signs with the rangers next season the centers are JT, Zib, Andersson and Chytil, who would need to step up (Hayes being traded). Am I missing someone?

I would look at Tavares and Zibs as locks if here and then Hayes, JT Miller, Anderson, and Chytil as other possibilities.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I would look at Tavares and Zibs as locks if here and then Hayes, JT Miller, Anderson, and Chytil as other possibilities.

The way I worked it out, Hayes gets traded. Chytil can play LW if Miller plays C. Might be easier on him his first season.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The way I worked it out, Hayes gets traded. Chytil can play LW if Miller plays C. Might be easier on him his first season.

That is possible. Just have to take a wait and see approach for a few guys.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Other one's what. What does it matter who the other ones are. I don't think he is and I do not want.

So we don't get lost in translation:

Tavares on a big contract? NFW.........

I would not sign him to a big contract. I don't think he will be worth it and certainly not the primary or even final piece to win a Stanley Cup.

Who are the other ones?

Of course it matters who the others ones are. If he's not who you want, then who is that will be available in the next decade given that all the new stars are already locked long term with prime years left at center , which of all positions has been the Rangers Achilles heel since the end of the effective Messier era.

Again, maybe he's not the right guy, but why isn't he something you want given the very clear reality of the next decade in regard to available UFAs, the Rangers relative draft position, and very likely more expansions team and META shifts?

And please not the ideal of we need to tear it down, draft all number 1, trade for kicks, get homegrown, and have accountability , etc. Even if that would be the ideal situation to be a contender , it's not relevant because it's not happening.

So given the NHL landscape for the next decade, why are you so opposed to added in essence $2 million on top of Nash's salary after he walks to have JT? What is the other direction?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
So we don't get lost in translation:

Of course it matters who the others ones are. If he's not who you want, then who is that will be available in the next decade given that all the new stars are already locked long term with prime years left at center , which of all positions has been the Rangers Achilles heel since the end of the effective Messier era.

Again, maybe he's not the right guy, but why isn't he something you want given the very clear reality of the next decade in regard to available UFAs, the Rangers relative draft position, and very likely more expansions team and META shifts?

And please not the ideal of we need to tear it down, draft all number 1, trade for kicks, get homegrown, and have accountability , etc. Even if that would be the ideal situation to be a contender , it's not relevant because it's not happening.

So given the NHL landscape for the next decade, why are you so opposed to added in essence $2 million on top of Nash's salary after he walks to have JT? What is the other direction?

I am opposed because building a team around a 10+ million $$ free agent, it isn't smart and has gotten this team in immense trouble historically.

Go ahead and find a post of mine where I say tearing down this team is smart. If you find one I will eat my boat shoe for breakfast and post a video of it in this thread.

There are more options than signing huge free agent contracts and tearing down everything and lighting it on fire. I don't think either is particularly appealing.

but I will kind of play along:

1. I can't predict tomorrow let alone a decade from now.

2. Free agency has not been where the Rangers have done well enough with huge contracts. So no I wouldn't give a big contract to any free agent like that. Unless they gave a significant discount (either term and/or $$) like Shattenkirk and that contract is ehh. I am ok with it because obviously he wanted the Rangers more than they wanted him and that doesn't happen all that often with this organization.

3. I don't think Tavares is that player. It doesn't matter to me who is, he isn't imo, and that is what this thread is about, Tavares.

4. I think the Rangers are on the right tack. They're trading older players for either similar younger players (Brass for Zbad) or draft picks and prospects (Stepan trade). I think management gets it. They're remaining competitive, while restocking the system and hopefully better for the future.

5.) For reason#4, I am willing to let things play out. It's smart to me, they're kind of doing it like Sather did awhile back. Getting draft picks again and building up the farm system. I don't know where it will lead but I think it's the smart play and Gorton seems to be getting good people in and around him.

6.) I think signing Tavares will put a damper on the organizations current path and have too many big contract players on the team. You're going to have a barbelled structure that I don't think is very smart.

7.) That contract will hamper the signing of a bunch of other players and in the long run they will lose out on many of the pieces they will need to win.

So no I don't want him. Do I have an answer as to who may put the Rangers over the top, other than silly answers like McDavid, Crosby, maybe Karlsson? No I don't, I just think the answer isn't Tavares.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If we had Tavares 3 years ago would we have had a shot at beating the Kings? If we had Tavares 2 years ago would we have had a shot of beating Tampa in game 7?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If we had Tavares 3 years ago would we have had a shot at beating the Kings? If we had Tavares 2 years ago would we have had a shot of beating Tampa in game 7?

Same team, but with JT at center, and Nash not on the team to allow for JT? Yes!

If JT even got a player on his line to score once it would have been a huge improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad