Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'd offer him 7 years 12 mil knowing he'd never take it but screwing the isles in the process

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I may be in the minority here, but I'm really not interested.

For one thing, his skating is not going to get better as he ages and the league keeps getting faster.

For starters, I'm not sure his best production isn't already behind him. At the very least, I'm not sure I see the combination of attributes that makes me want to commit that kind of salary and contract length. That's not a knock on him, I just don't see him being the centerpiece of a championship team for us.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I may be in the minority here, but I'm really not interested.

For one thing, his skating is not going to get better as he ages and the league keeps getting faster.

For starters, I'm not sure his best production isn't already behind him. At the very least, I'm not sure I see the combination of attributes that makes me want to commit that kind of salary and contract length. That's not a knock on him, I just don't see him being the centerpiece of a championship team for us.

You're not alone. A huge contract and lots of years is paying for what he's done. Not what he'll do for the length of that contract.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I just love how this is a lose-lose-lose situation for that team out east. Nothing makes me happier!

Here are the circus team's options:

1. Hope and pray Taveras takes a ridiculous amount of money from them - like $10-12 million per for eight years. A player who has 70 and 66 points the last two years. A player who will be 27 on opening day, meaning it's not out of the question there may not be a whole lot of increase in his production going forward, and as the contract moves on in years there could even be further regression. Lose.

2. Do nothing and watch him walk. Oh my goodness the downtrodden fanbase will lose its collective mind. Epic epic lose.

3. Trade him while they still can. The only way they'd get much value is to trade him now or early in the season, which would turn their small fan base against them quickly. If they wait until the trade deadline they shouldn't get enough for an end of season rental. So as long as no team loses their mind and overpays the Snows for Taveras, this is a lose well.

And there is nothing better than watching them lose!

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
So you think Holden and Staal will be judged on their play? Because I don't. Those are AV's boys. I don't expect think there's much of a chance that one of them is the 6D, and the other sits in the press box. Staal will be in the lineup every game, barring a buyout, which isn't happening. McDonagh, Skjei, Shattenkirk, Smith will, also. Thats five spots filled. Unless Holden's traded, thats another NHL spot taken up, and Bereglazov will be in the NHL because of his KHL clause, unless he's badly outplayed by DeAngelo, so I'm not so sure its really so easy for him to make the team this year. Barring a trade or buyout, which is still very unlikely, there's one spot available in the top 7, and its not really that available, unless Bereglazov is badly outplayed.

I agree with you that we needed some changes defensively, but I didn't think those changes should've been veterans replacing veterans. I would've liked to see some young players replacing veterans, and I thought the GM acquired those players with Bereglazov, DeAngelo and Pionk to go with also having Graves. Once the decision to buy out Girardi was made, Staal was not getting bought out, so you knew you'd have at least two veterans in the lineup with McDonagh and Staal, along with whichever veterans stick around between Holden and Klein, you can put them in the press box, and if the rookies are struggling, they go in the lineup. So I would've rather had a lineup like this. Pairings can be figured out, that would initially just be trying to balance out the experience and styles of play, but is that really such an inexperienced lineup? Its a young defense, sure, but I thought thats exactly what this defense needed. I'm not sure its too young, though.

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Graves
Staal-DeAngelo
Holden

Gorton already showed AV who the boss was by his comments regarding shattenkirk, his buyout of Girardi and not resigning Glass. Holden is a UFA the same year as JT. I'm personally surprised Holden wasn't dealt this offseason and if the rangers do indeed sign JT at, say, 7x10, then there is no way Holden would be resigned. Also in the NYR sign JT scenario, Staal almost certainly has to be bought out and one of Miller and Hayes will have to be traded. Rangers will have to lean on some young players but not as bad as that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Gorton already showed AV who the boss was by his comments regarding shattenkirk, his buyout of Girardi and not resigning Glass. Holden is a UFA the same year as JT. I'm personally surprised Holden wasn't dealt this offseason and if the rangers do indeed sign JT at, say, 7x10, then there is no way Holden would be resigned. Also in the NYR sign JT scenario, Staal almost certainly has to be bought out and one of Miller and Hayes will have to be traded. Rangers will have to lean on some young players but not as bad as that.

I personally do not see much evidence of a I'm boss situation. I see a Ranger team of management, scouts and coaches that work very well together. I have no doubt AV was pleased to get a offensive dman like Shatty on our right side. I think AV totally understands buying out Girardi. AV demoted Glass to the minors for all but 11 games. If they are tied at the hip that is a weird way to show it. The only move that AV might have had reservations about was trading Stepan. Most coaches would have concerns about trading their #1 center for a draft pick and a prospect.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I personally do not see much evidence of a I'm boss situation. I see a Ranger team of management, scouts and coaches that work very well together. I have no doubt AV was pleased to get a offensive dman like Shatty on our right side. I think AV totally understands buying out Girardi. AV demoted Glass to the minors for all but 11 games. If they are tied at the hip that is a weird way to show it. The only move that AV might have had reservations about was trading Stepan. Most coaches would have concerns about trading their #1 center for a draft pick and a prospect.
I don't know but I think buying out a player your coach had on the top pairing isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Plus the Stepan trade wasn't just for a pick and a prospect

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't know but I think buying out a player your coach had on the top pairing isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Plus the Stepan trade wasn't just for a pick and a prospect

I think people make things mountains out of molehills. Girardi was probably closer to 5th in minutes than 1st last season among dmen. I dont think AV was any closer to Dan than most our players. Dan got older and injured. If AV had a Shatty last season on the right side Dan and Klein would have played less but AV didn't have that luxury. The Stepan and Ranta trade was for #7 draft pick and Tony D. Did I leave something significant out? Are you referring to cap room?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Nick. Hold on a second.

Are you insinuating that a modern NHL franchise is a billion dollar business nestled within a 100 billion dollar business, so one guy can't just run the show?

If that true, then that means there isn't some agenda where AV does everything he wants in spite of the Rangers.

And if that's true, the fans have been unable to obtain the inner monologue of AV via telekinesis th through their TV sets...

I'm going to call BS on you. Sorry man. Sorry but not sorry fam

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nick. Hold on a second.

Are you insinuating that a modern NHL franchise is a billion dollar business nestled within a 100 billion dollar business, so one guy can't just run the show?

If that true, then that means there isn't some agenda where AV does everything he wants in spite of the Rangers.

And if that's true, the fans have been unable to obtain the inner monologue of AV via telekinesis th through their TV sets...

I'm going to call BS on you. Sorry man. Sorry but not sorry fam

Reggie, Im surprised you dont get it. 70 mill in salaries do not matter. Wins and losses are not AVs priority. He is not worried about the team or his job. Its all about him playing guys he likes. He has been beer buddies with all our bad players for years. Gorton knows all this. That is why he bought out Girardi and cut Glass. Why should it really matter to Dolan if we win games? Fans buy tickets regardless. Pretty obvious for us HF fans

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
So who should we move if we acquired JT?
It will be a wing right - so the obvious move is Nash based on his high cost contract., and then we`re still probably lacking 3 mil $ cap space if JT want a 10 mil $ deal.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So who should we move if we acquired JT?
It will be a wing right - so the obvious move is Nash based on his high cost contract., and then we`re still probably lacking 3 mil $ cap space if JT want a 10 mil $ deal.

Grabner, Hayes, Holden off the books in any manner. Staal buyout.

I posted a cap compliant roster somewhere above assuming cap moves up to $77M. Don't remember all of it.

Edit: Found it. I whipped this up quickly with minimal thought. Replace bottom 6 young players with good and cheap stop-gap vets as needed. Point is, it's do-able.

qWzfTJQ.png

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Reggie, Im surprised you dont get it. 70 mill in salaries do not matter. Wins and losses are not AVs priority. He is not worried about the team or his job. Its all about him playing guys he likes. He has been beer buddies with all our bad players for years. Gorton knows all this. That is why he bought out Girardi and cut Glass. Why should it really matter to Dolan if we win games? Fans buy tickets regardless. Pretty obvious for us HF fans

Ha! Wrong again man!

Gorton is just doing those things as a false flag to make the sheeple think AV isn't up to that vindictive scheme of his.

If we bring in JT, cut some fat, and win the cup, it's all part of AVs plan to kill the franchise.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Grabner, Hayes, Holden off the books in any manner. Staal buyout.

I posted a cap compliant roster somewhere above assuming cap moves up to $77M. Don't remember all of it.

Edit: Found it. I whipped this up quickly with minimal thought. Replace bottom 6 young players with good and cheap stop-gap vets as needed. Point is, it's do-able.

qWzfTJQ.png

Interesting, yeah both Nash & Zucc will create another hole in the lineup. :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ha! Wrong again man!

Gorton is just doing those things as a false flag to make the sheeple think AV isn't up to that vindictive scheme of his.

If we bring in JT, cut some fat, and win the cup, it's all part of AVs plan to kill the franchise.

Ah now Im getting it. That AV is a smart one. He wins games to distract us from his master plan to only play his friends so if we win a cup its only a distraction from his desire to have Glass lead our team in minutes played.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I think people make things mountains out of molehills. Girardi was probably closer to 5th in minutes than 1st last season among dmen. I dont think AV was any closer to Dan than most our players. Dan got older and injured. If AV had a Shatty last season on the right side Dan and Klein would have played less but AV didn't have that luxury. The Stepan and Ranta trade was for #7 draft pick and Tony D. Did I leave something significant out? Are you referring to cap room?

Do you think Stepan gets traded if his NTC clause wasn't kicking in? Or do you think the rangers wouldn't have gotten more out of the trade if it wasn't?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Do you think Stepan gets traded if his NTC clause wasn't kicking in? Or do you think the rangers wouldn't have gotten more out of the trade if it wasn't?

That is a very good question. Obviously I can only give my opinion because I do not have any special insight in to that trade. I think the NTC could have played a role but was not the only major factor. I think there could have been a handful of factors including:

1. Salary Cap
2. Lack of 1st round draft picks for 4 years
3. Disappointing play in the playoffs and part of the regular season
4. NTC
5. Trying to shake up the teams nucleus a bit.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Something tells me the odds of him getting moved goes down if there isn't a NTC.

Not sure the return would've been much higher. I think the value was pretty close for a 27 year old center who may be what he is at this point - solid, but not necessarily spectacular. Maybe an extra pick? Third rounder?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Something tells me the odds of him getting moved goes down if there isn't a NTC.

Not sure the return would've been much higher. I think the value was pretty close for a 27 year old center who may be what he is at this point - solid, but not necessarily spectacular. Maybe an extra pick? Third rounder?

The NTC played no role in value. The acquiring team isn't obligated to honor it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The NTC played no role in value. The acquiring team isn't obligated to honor it.

Is this true for a NTC that hadn't yet kicked in at the time of the trade? If so that seems like a huge flaw in the CBA and should probably be addressed.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is this true for a NTC that hadn't yet kicked in at the time of the trade? If so that seems like a huge flaw in the CBA and should probably be addressed.

Stepan's NTC was scheduled to kick in on July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad