Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm skeptical of him being elite for 2 years, much less 5, but I'd still get excited. Im a fan of the team. That means I root for the players on the team to do well.

I just worry about compensating him for numbers players of his ilk don't usually put up at this point of their careers.

And that's part of what gets me concerned about going this route.

Right now, his numbers are trending steadily from elite to very good. I'm not totally sure how it easy it is to get them back to elite, or how long they would stay elite even if they rebounded.

I'm not totally against it, but man, there are sure a lot major question marks I have. Especially for a team that is already likely going to be paying for two players that aren't even on the team anymore.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nash is a UFA after this year so JT would essentially replace his contract if you include a Staal buyout. But you'd need to trade Hayes to be able to keep Miller Vesey and Skjei (my preference at least). Next season we can have a few players on ELCs to help with the cap (Andersson, Chytil, Bereglazov and maybe another D). I think it can be done up to maybe $10 million AAV but really depends how much we'd have to pay the 3 RFAs not named Kevin. I really have no feel for what their contracts would look like.

Basically this and it`s interesting to discuss options how to afford JT contract. I think Nash is gone end of this new season - maybe best option for us since he can get a lot of salary on the free market. We need our ELC`s guys to be ready for NHL at a much younger age compare to the average young player in the ranger farm system in the last 10 years. We barely have anyone under 20 who have participated in NHL based on raw talent skills. And that`s weak drafting all these years - I partly blame the coach AV, but someone need to tell him to evaluate kids differently. They will do mistakes based on lack of experience on the ice, but AV can`t be so strict with young players.

I believe that JT Miller lost all faith in what he was doing in playoffs recently since he ended on our 4th line end of the last regular season, but he had 56 pts. only 3 less points compare to Zucc. I hope someone in Ranger org. read this and get the message to our coaching staff - they need to see and evaulate younger players differently in this org.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Taveras would instantly be the greatest Centre the Rangers ever had.

getty_mmessier.jpg

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If we graded the greatest centers in franchise history by how well they meme, Hayes would be #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->