Confirmed with Link: John Tavares is your new Toronto Maple Leafs Captain!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews wanted 8 years. Sounds to me he's about as committed as you can get.
I only care about what he signed. All the rest is garbage data.

What 8 years at 17 AAV ? Hahahhhahhahahaha

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lets be real - Tavares is already slow. Slow guys who make the league tend to age better
A good comparable (but not as good of a player obviously) is Joe Pavelski. His production has been incredibly consistent despite being one of the slowest guys in the league.

Expect Tavares to age the same way.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's time to grant him personal leave for 1-2 weeks. Spend time with his baby and try to sleep. Guy looks horrible and plays even worse.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It's time to grant him personal leave for 1-2 weeks. Spend time with his baby and try to sleep. Guy looks horrible and plays even worse.
Agreed he looks like a new dad out there (and understandably so!!!) nothing wrong with him taking a small break, some things go beyond hockey and it’d allow him to come back stronger too. So long as he’s fresh for playoffs he can take off whatever he needs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Id say the planning would be for JT to either leave or take a reduced contract, his contract is up a year before McDavid. Its risky though because 3 years earlier is when Matthews is up, if were to walk and JT walk a year later Mcdavid isn't convinced to come home our C depth will be insanely weak. Id say sign Matthews in 5 years to whatever it needs to be, lock him in surely JT will be willing to take quite a bit less to stay when he is UFA he will be 34/35 years old at that point. THEN if McDavid comes you look to move Matthews or hopefully JT took a big enough discount to fit in with the McDavid and Matthews contracts.

I realize if we resign Matthews he will 100% get a NTC but it has to be done, we cant hope 3 seasons later McDavid comes home

As much as I want to see McDavid coming over. Are we like 5-6yrs too early to discuss this? Looking back 5yrs ago, Chicago won their 3rd Cup and look poise to win their 4th and a few more. Don’t think they made it pass the first round since. 6yrs ago, Kings won the Cup and once again look to dominate but they started their rebuild last year. A lot can happen between now till Matthews current deals run out(5yrs) or JT deals run out(6yrs).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed he looks like a new dad out there (and understandably so!!!) nothing wrong with him taking a small break, some things go beyond hockey and it’d allow him to come back stronger too. So long as he’s fresh for playoffs he can take off whatever he needs
That’s why he has not look the same. Don’t worry, look st FVV, he was absolutely trash the first few weeks and then he was all money after that.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Id say the planning would be for JT to either leave or take a reduced contract, his contract is up a year before McDavid. Its risky though because 3 years earlier is when Matthews is up, if were to walk and JT walk a year later Mcdavid isn't convinced to come home our C depth will be insanely weak. Id say sign Matthews in 5 years to whatever it needs to be, lock him in surely JT will be willing to take quite a bit less to stay when he is UFA he will be 34/35 years old at that point. THEN if McDavid comes you look to move Matthews or hopefully JT took a big enough discount to fit in with the McDavid and Matthews contracts.

I realize if we resign Matthews he will 100% get a NTC but it has to be done, we cant hope 3 seasons later McDavid comes home

Seriously? I get daydreaming about a good hockey team back when we didn't have one but this is just sad, and an insane topic of discussion.

Reactions: ToneDog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I saw Sundin had games, Crosby had bad games and even McDavid had bad games - all captains

but I dont recall if their bad games were such that every shift they took was terrible. Even in their bad games they had good shifts here and there.

Tavares tonight did not even have one good shift. This is really not acceptable!

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's funny that some of you really believe he is forced to wake up with his baby at all hours of the night to feed a bottle. The person taking home 11 million a year is not playing daddy day care on the side. He can literally do whatever he wants, if he wants to be awake 24/7 and bond, fantastic, but take time off from the team (parental leave) and stop half assing it every night. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I saw Sundin had games, Crosby had bad games and even McDavid had bad games - all captains

but I dont recall if their bad games were such that every shift they took was terrible. Even in their bad games they had good shifts here and there.

Tavares tonight did not even have one good shift. This is really not acceptable!
True that he had a bad game but to say he was terrible every shift is too much. He did came alive in OT, he also got moments in the PP. But he wasn’t good in the game.

Reactions: hoglund and ToneDog

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Looks like that C is pretty heavy after all.

Glad Matthews is still himself afterwards :)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seriously? I get daydreaming about a good hockey team back when we didn't have one but this is just sad, and an insane topic of discussion.

huh? Did you read it or just get immediate outrage. It was a hypothetical reply to a posters hypothetical post about planning for mcdavid after Matthews and I posted how they don’t come close to lining up in terms of when their contacts end

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think Tavares is a good choice for captain. I’m not worried about him having a bad game when the team had a ridiculous 3 games in 4 nights schedule to start the season 2 weeks after he had his first baby and four days after being named captain.

Reactions: Hustlr

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Guys, dont talk about mod actions publicly. It's againts HF rules to talk about mods actions:

11) No Disclosure of Personal Information: Do not disclose any other member's email, real name, address, phone number, IP address, private communications, or other personal information. Do not post publicly about your moderation history or the actions of moderators.

Also, when you see a comment at fault , just report it and a mod will hadle it and give us time to do it. Even if you send us a report , it's possible that we wont take action on it the following minute.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's funny that some of you really believe he is forced to wake up with his baby at all hours of the night to feed a bottle. The person taking home 11 million a year is not playing daddy day care on the side. He can literally do whatever he wants, if he wants to be awake 24/7 and bond, fantastic, but take time off from the team (parental leave) and stop half assing it every night. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe he wants to wake up and take care of the baby. Most dads want to be involved.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Looks like that C is pretty heavy after all.

Glad Matthews is still himself afterwards

and that's why he should have been named Captain , nothing seems to affect his play

-pressure of being a 1st overall pick
-pressure of dealing with biggest market in the league
-pressure of signing the best deal in the league
-pressure of dealing with dropping his pants and not telling the club
-letdown over not being named Captain and only getting half a letter like a atom player

this guy seems to be unflappable due to his supreme confidence in himself and his abilities

Reactions: Jmo89

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Maybe he wants to wake up and take care of the baby. Most dads want to be involved.
there's plenty of time to change diapers and watch her breast feed during the day without waking up periodically during the night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad