Confirmed with Link: John Tavares is your new Toronto Maple Leafs Captain!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
At least in the playoffs he was going against Bergeron and actually played pretty well. He's just been plain bad this year

Agreed, and he is getting his chances right now they aren't going in. Against Montreal alone he had 3 fantastic scoring chances and didn't finish. His time will come.

Reactions: qqaz

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Agreed, and he is getting his chances right now they aren't going in. Against Montreal alone he had 3 fantastic scoring chances and didn't finish. His time will come.

He didn't play well against bergeron, he got his ass handed to him.

This year, hes been even worse. Be real, hes playing worse than kerfoot.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Count me as one who thinks it's been Marner who's been worse than Tavares.

I liked his slick feed to Matthews in the game opener. I liked his one-timer goal vs Columbus and he got pretty lucky on his 2nd one that game. Good plays Mitch, but he's been terrible outside of those - a complete non-impact player. Probably too worried about his sponsors souring on him because he screwed the fanbase over with this greed.

But I'm not excusing JT though, he hasn't been good either. Just not as bad as Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If any of you have watched Tavares over his career, he has proven to make those around him better and richer!!!

He's done it again for the Leafs and its being proven right now!!! Marner is nothing but a 60-70 pt winger not playing with Matthews or Tavares. He is soft, mistake prone, and nothing without proven goal scorers.

Once Tavares gets going so will Marner and Kapanen. If Tavares buried 3-4 of the great chances he has had, both Kappy and Marner have 3-4 more points each. Tavares luck has been tough to start. He will get it going, when he does so will his linemates.

They need a digger to go with Tavares to activate his down low cycling abilities. Kapanen is more of a rush/Hail Mary kind of player who is also a very fast skater, so his specialty and strengths don't really compliment Tavares.

Marner has been a bad combo this year. He's been extremely casual with the puck, which is usually a telling sign when Marner is struggling. He's also been easy to outmuscle and isolate. That doesn't usually work if Tavares is going to play his "high end grinder" game a la Sidney Crosby.

Reactions: kb

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let's get that head out of the clouds and play hockey captain leafsheets!

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A lot of you might not agree but this line has struggled without Hyman, I am not sure it's the chemistry or they need more time to get adjusted. JT has struggled badly and the calibre of player he is, he look so disengaged and look pretty disinterested and Kapanen's play so far has been disgusting and he has made lots of mental mistakes

It's about time Babcock should do some thing about it, the way I see it is to move Kapanen out of this line. We are in a tough division and every single point does make a difference. We need this line to play the way they did last season

Reactions: kb

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
1. Give it a couple of games with Kapanen and try to get him to adjust his game.

2. Try to move kapanen down the line.

3. If Matthews line also goes cold, switch mattes with Tavares.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
They need a digger to go with Tavares to activate his down low cycling abilities. Kapanen is more of a rush/Hail Mary kind of player who is also a very fast skater, so his specialty and strengths don't really compliment Tavares.

Marner has been a bad combo this year. He's been extremely casual with the puck, which is usually a telling sign when Marner is struggling. He's also been easy to outmuscle and isolate. That doesn't usually work if Tavares is going to play his "high end grinder" game a la Sidney Crosby.

I remember Babcock trying Moore on that line but neither of them would pass him the puck, he got taken off pretty quickly.

horner

May 22, 2007

marner will be fine.
didn't have a pre season.
Taveras will be fine.
put the big Russian with untit human comes back.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
marner will be fine.
didn't have a pre season.
Taveras will be fine.
put the big Russian with untit human comes back.
Mitch was there for pre season what are you saying? And no, maybe our 11m dollar players should create their own offense and work their issues by themselves, what are they paid that much for?

horner

May 22, 2007
Mitch was there for pre season what are you saying? And no, maybe our 11m dollar players should create their own offense and work their issues by themselves, what are they paid that much for?
my bad he was signed Sept 13.
still kappy sucks on that line.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I think JT will get in a grove soon, not sure but maybe it takes 10 or so games to get going. Marner has generally taken time to find his game at the start of the season, except for last year. I figure JT gets 40 still and both around 80 points and it shouldn’t matter at all who’s on the left wing with those 2 on the line.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
A lot of you might not agree but this line has struggled without Hyman, I am not sure it's the chemistry or they need more time to get adjusted. JT has struggled badly and the calibre of player he is, he look so disengaged and look pretty disinterested and Kapanen's play so far has been disgusting and he has made lots of mental mistakes

It's about time Babcock should do some thing about it, the way I see it is to move Kapanen out of this line. We are in a tough division and every single point does make a difference. We need this line to play the way they did last season
well, well, well

and to think we had sooooo many experts here crying their little eyes out that hyman was on that line and that Babs was a idiot for not thinking like them, well,well,well

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
well, well, well

and to think we had sooooo many experts here crying their little eyes out that hyman was on that line and that Babs was a idiot for not thinking like them, well,well,well

If they need Hyman then they don't deserve the money they are getting. They are being paid to drive their own offence. I am pretty sure they would be fine without Hyman. They are just having a rough start is all.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
It definitely doesn’t help Tavares that Marner has been completely out to lunch. I’ve never seen him force as many senseless plays as he has in the last several games. Normally the puck follows him around and he creates space for his line mates but he’s giving it away at every opportunity.

I don’t think this is an issue Hyman will solve upon return. If it is, we have bigger problems. I don’t think Kap is the right fit for that line, but he’s not at fault for how bad that line is playing.

Tavares has looked okay here and there, but looks out of sync completely. I’m not overly worried that they’ll get going together, but if it continues and we bleed points in games we should be winning, then something needs to change.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yea lets shit on Marner/Kap to try to shift attention away from the Captain

Tavares has been brutal outside of the odd shift and has played worse than Marner . He looks slow as shit and is constantly getting stripped and most games looks invisible .

i expect him to bounce back but if he doesn't Johnny golden boy is going to realize real quick this isn't the Island where he got all the glory and none of the blame regardless of how he played

Reactions: definedMF

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He didn't play well against bergeron, he got his ass handed to him.

This year, hes been even worse. Be real, hes playing worse than kerfoot.
ya BUT

that has been happening to most centers that face him lately

it is interesting that it took another high end selke candidate in RoR to counter act Bergeron.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It definitely doesn’t help Tavares that Marner has been completely out to lunch. I’ve never seen him force as many senseless plays as he has in the last several games. Normally the puck follows him around and he creates space for his line mates but he’s giving it away at every opportunity.

I don’t think this is an issue Hyman will solve upon return. If it is, we have bigger problems. I don’t think Kap is the right fit for that line, but he’s not at fault for how bad that line is playing.

Tavares has looked okay here and there, but looks out of sync completely. I’m not overly worried that they’ll get going together, but if it continues and we bleed points in games we should be winning, then something needs to change.

Marner is a sniper now, as good as Matthews...be dang with those primary assists, he thinks he could score 40 goals...so just keep looking for the shot and stop making plays...:sarcasm:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
ya BUT

that has been happening to most centers that face him lately

it is interesting that it took another high end selke candidate in RoR to counter act Bergeron.

If you are going to pay 2 players 22 million and they cant even go against top lines, then you made a big mistake.

The reality is that Boston and Tampa are the top teams in our division, along with us. Every move needs to be made with that in mind. We have to go head-to-head with Bergeron line and Stamkos line. IF you cant do that, we are finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad