Value of: John Tavares at 56 million over 4 years. Which teams can afford that?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
John Tavares at 56 million over 4 years. Which teams can afford that?

Just a show of hands, I was wondering as to which teams in the NHL would be able to offer Tavares a contract like that without blowing up their core, or running into serious cap problems in 1-4 years?

As a Canucks fan, I remain hopeful that we can convince Tavares to come to Vancouver for 4 years (although I remain realistic about our chances).

From a numbers perspective, I think it might work for Vancouver. Guys like Edler, Sutter, Gagner, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, and Tanev would all come off the books just as some of our RFA’s would need to be reupped over that time.

Many will disagree with this, but I also think the Canucks will be able to successfully move Eriksson’s contract in two years, as 31 of the 36 million dollars in real dollars, will have been paid out to him.

So, all in all, I think Vancouver would be one of the few teams out there that would be able to afford Tavares for 56 million over 4 years (14 milllion AAV).

My hope is that Tavares would come to Vancouver for 4 years for 56 million, and would then still be young enough and in his prime to choose a contending team at the age of 31. 31 year old “still in his prime” Tavares still gets a big long term contract from a contender.

So essentially, Tavares not only makes far more overall money by coming to Vancouver for 4 years, but also gets a chance to go for a cup with a contender when he becomes a UFA at age 31.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I dont think the Canucks are remotely close to contending atleast on paper. Tavares should go to Vegas, but think teams like TOR, BUF, CAR, CBJ, all have varying degrees of success but their core is fairly young with a lot of upside.

What would the point be tho? You are in the beginning of a rebuild and just had 2 of your best players retire. 2-3 years of the contract would be completely wasted.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Players like tavares would much rather sign 80M over 7 years than signing a 4 years contract at 56M, you will say its much more money per year.

but 24M is a HELL lot of money you gamble, your game can regress, you can get an career ending injury.

80x7 > 56x4 AINEC

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Players like tavares would much rather sign 80M over 7 years than signing a 4 years contract at 56M, you will say its much more money per year.

but 24M is a HELL lot of money you gamble, your game can regress, you can get an career ending injury.

80x7 > 56x4 AINEC
Oh boy that logic

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

80x7 > 56x4 AINEC

True, but you aren’t factoring in that 2nd contract. Let’s go by you numbers.

4*14 = 56 million. Tavares becomes a UFA at 31.

7*11.5=80 million. Tavares becomes a UFA at 34.

80-56 = 24 million.

My guess is that 31 year old Tavares (who would still be in his prime) would get MUCH more money and term than a past-his-prime 34 year old Tavares......so much to the point that it would easily exceed 24 million.

End result? Tavares gets paid like a gangsta AND can sign with a contender on a long term contract as a 31 year old, as he goes after his life long dream of winning a cup. He can literally have his cake and eat it to.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

By time you look at taxes and agents cut, it's "only" 12M. Beyond that if you get the deal front loaded 22M-12M-11M-11M you can financially do stuff to make more money

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado could and probably would do that deal. Doubt Tavares has interest in it though.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
True, but you aren’t factoring in that 2nd contract. Let’s go by you numbers.

4*14 = 56 million. Tavares becomes a UFA at 31.

7*11.5=80 million. Tavares becomes a UFA at 34.

80-56 = 24 million.

My guess is that 31 year old Tavares (who would still be in his prime) would get MUCH more money and term than a past-his-prime 34 year old Tavares......so much to the point that it would easily exceed 24 million.

End result? Tavares gets paid like a gangsta AND can sign with a contender on a long term contract as a 31 year old, as he goes after his life long dream of winning a cup. He can literally have his cake and eat it to.

I am Factoring the second contract. thats my point. theres possibilities for no second contract or the fact that your games drops and the second contract isnt has lucrative.

Its gambling 24M

Hence why player often take little discount on their cap hit to add term.

Reactions: haveandare

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
By time you look at taxes and agents cut, it's "only" 12M. Beyond that if you get the deal front loaded 22M-12M-11M-11M you can financially do stuff to make more money
the % of the the taxes and agents cuts remains the same. no matter what you do with your money not signing longterm is still gambling 24M, no matter what happens in his 7 years he's still getting that 80M. Gets a massive concussion year 3, needs to retire, he makes 56M. like i said above. Players will take little less per year to add overall money and term for security.

Reactions: needzmoarcleary

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Why would Tavares want to go to one of the worst teams in the league? If he leaves long island, which I think is doubtful, he's not going to want to go to a team like Vancouver that is a LONG ways away from contending. I also agree with others that he is going to take a 7 or 8 year deal, never know when injuries can happen

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the % of the the taxes and agents cuts remains the same. no matter what you do with your money not signing longterm is still gambling 24M, no matter what happens in his 7 years he's still getting that 80M. Gets a massive concussion year 3, needs to retire, he makes 56M. like i said above. Players will take little less per year to add overall money and term for security.

I am just saying money that goes directly to Tavares' bank account would be losing ~12M signing a 4 year deal(and that's not counting interest on the extra money he gets in the first 4 years)

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I am just saying money that goes directly to Tavares' bank account would be losing ~12M signing a 4 year deal(and that's not counting interest on the extra money he gets in the first 4 years)

I get what you're trying to say, even if he gets frontloaded more money and gets interest from his "56M" if you have a way to make interest with of nearly 50% of your bank account in 4 years, well show me how you invest cause im in. cause that would be his 24M+ he would make in the 7 year contract. and dont act like he can't invest his money with the 7 year term, i remain with the same opinion its gambling 24M no matter how you see it, its secured money in a danger environement.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i remain with the same opinion its gambling 24M no matter how you see it, its secured money in a danger environement.

I main point is taxes and agents fee basically will eat up 50% of the contract so 50% of 24M = 12M. The point about potential investments due to more cash on hand is a small amount but might cut down that potential 12M lost to 11.5M

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
When you are in the catbird seat, you get it all. You get lots of money, you get lots of term, and you get a competitive team that is ready to compete for the Cup right away. You have plenty of choices. Teams will make cap room for you. Making room for superstars is not difficult to do. You simply trade a lesser star and gain that cap space.

For whatever reason, and it's an interesting debate, the NHL and its players have not pushed the envelope with respect to the individual player max contract. They do value extended term, though, and stars insist on the max. The state of play is very different in the NBA.

Tavares will get a ton of money, for the maximum term of seven years (possibly eight if he re-ups), and he most likely goes to a team that is a contender. NYI's biggest hurdle is that it's a ways away from Cup contention, as a bubble team now. Tavares has the leverage to get it all if he wants it. If he lets, say, a stacked team like the Predators know that he wants to be a Predator, they will trade a star or two and slot him in. He won't have to take a major pay cut to fit.

Regarding a team that is not the NYI, and which is not competitive or close to it today, I just don't see why he would settle for that. I figure he either stays for all the money in the world, or takes a bit less and a year less to go to a contender.

Look at it this way, OP: If he goes pure merc, he'll be the first NHL player to do it.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs can easily do that.
With the cap going to 80 mil, habs will have 17 mil in capspace with a roster of 20 players. Only Danault needing to be-resigned. So we would still have 3 mil left.

Then guys like Pacioretty, Schlemko, Benn likely traded, we will have even more capspace

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad