John Tavares appreciation thread

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Tavares scores. Let's go

Love it when the captain puts one home. Hopefully gets his confidence back.

He is an elite player and will be central to our cup run. Dubas signings all looking pretty great right now

Happy JT scored, but definitely not his best night. Hopefully getting a goal gets the juices going though

Reactions: KingPapi

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought Tavares actually looked better last night but wasn't rewarded. Today it looked like he was in the pits when the fireworks were going but the coaching staff made a big effort to slump bust Tavares and Nylander, so let's see how they do in the real games coming up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Tavares actually looked better last night but wasn't rewarded. Today it looked like he was in the pits when the fireworks were going but the coaching staff made a big effort to slump bust Tavares and Nylander, so let's see how they do in the real games coming up.
How much do you think Keefe putting Marner with Tavares in the 3rd helped with Tavares scoring that goal since Marner got the primary assist.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
How much do you think Keefe putting Marner with Tavares in the 3rd helped with Tavares scoring that goal since Marner got the primary assist.

I'd say so. That goal - and the confidence from it - will hopefully be beneficial for Tavares moving forward too. Honestly, I see two centres and two wingers. Arrange them as needed. I truly don't believe there's a wrong way.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There's been a lot of emphasis on Tavares/Nylander not scoring much at even strength, but a counter argument to that is they're also not being scored against.

Tavares right now is averaging 1.5 goals against/60 minutes, Nylander 1.9 goals against/60 minutes. Matthews by comparison (who people are praising for his two-way play) is on the ice for 3.1 goals/60. In terms of raw goals against, Tavares has been on the ice for 7 goals against at even-strength vs Matthews at 16, and Tavares raw even-strength GF% is actually higher than Matthews as a result.

So Tavares/Nylander may not be lighting it up to the same extent as Matthews/Marner, but the goal is to outscore the opposition, which they're doing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Screenshot 2021-02-19 070101.png

For those of you who think you know hockey, you don't ... I will be giving remedial classes later today.... Eye test 101 and How to Ignore Advance stats and use your eyes :) LOL... kidding... :D

Reactions: cookie

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
View attachment 397937

For those of you who think you know hockey, you don't ... I will be giving remedial classes later today.... Eye test 101 and How to Ignore Advance stats and use your eyes :) LOL... kidding... :D
Keep up the faith. The game is sometimes a mental one and requires some time to get back in the pocket.
JT will likely silence critics soon.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Keep up the faith. The game is sometimes a mental one and requires some time to get back in the pocket.
JT will likely silence critics soon.

The guy is a beast, he will get his 25-30 goals. When he plays angry he is an elite center.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Marner back on Tavares' wing and Nylander with Matthews for a bit and see how that goes. I think Tavares production with Marner will increase much more than Matthews' will drop. Tavares role is now just a trigger man but i think he can be a bit more than that as Marner will provide him with more space to work. . I also liked a line with Jumbo, Kerfoot and Mikhaev - two guys with speed and two guys with size.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think Spezza looks better. He's got a really long leash though because of that contract. If there is anyway out of the contract, you take it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If didn't require dynamiting several successful lines I wouldn't mind seeing Jumbo-JT-Hyman. Get him back engaged by forcing him to be the primary facilitator while playing with some great board and below the dots guys.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If didn't require dynamiting several successful lines I wouldn't mind seeing Jumbo-JT-Hyman. Get him back engaged by forcing him to be the primary facilitator while playing with some great board and below the dots guys.
I don't like that construct for the simple reason you want Hyman being forward 1 on the forecheck, and neither Tavares or Thornton are good skaters speed wise, so, if our D activates and we get caught, we are really getting burned on the counter.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looked happy to get the goal last night but still frustrated enough that he will keep working hard.

He didn’t look too happy to me. Maybe a little embarrassed that they had to get him going to pad the stats by switching up the lines. Kind of weird to compare and contrast the happy to lucky vibes of the first line with Tavares not clicking, not available to the media. Even Mark Masters is touching on this on Leafs Lunch.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't like that construct for the simple reason you want Hyman being forward 1 on the forecheck, and neither Tavares or Thornton are good skaters speed wise, so, if our D activates and we get caught, we are really getting burned on the counter.

True, maybe Kerfoot on the left then. Doesn't have the board play but decent enough vision and really good through the neutral zone.
The big thing I want to see is an extended look of Hyman on JT's right, then mix and match to find the right LW. As much as I like Willy I think that JT and that 2nd line would thrive with a heavier more straight forward style, and provide 1st line impact with a pair of cheaper "2nd line" quality wings.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There's something noticeably off with him lately. I hope that goal last night will snap him out of it because prior to this recent funk, he was playing fantastic.

We need him at his best, and Keefe shouldn't have to break up a dominant first line just to try get our 11 million dollar captain going.

Reactions: KapG

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I try very hard to like him and all he brings. He's a good player in my books but he just can't lead an offense which a 10+ million player needs to do. He doesn't carry his line either.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I think Spezza looks better. He's got a really long leash though because of that contract. If there is anyway out of the contract, you take it.

No you don't. You go for a stanley cup LOL. WE are not subtracting from this rostef with a cup on the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad