John Tavares appreciation thread

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares still on pace for a good season.

Not a great night though...

One even strength goal this season says he's not having a good season. His giveaway that led to the second goal against is what he's providing for the team this season.

Empty points on the powerplay in bunches doesn't mean he's having a good season. He's been awful this season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know it's easy to blame Tavares for the give away he did on Ottawa's 2nd goal. However the original give away was caused by Andersen going for the long pass that was taken away, so if that never happens than Tavares doesn't eventually make his mistake.

Reactions: Synesthesia

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I know it's easy to blame Tavares for the give away he did on Ottawa's 2nd goal. However the original give away was caused by Andersen going for the long pass that was taken away, so if that never happens than Tavares doesn't eventually make his mistake.
He needs to own the turnover that was unnecessary and stupid. Eat the puck, get out of the period up 4 and its game over.

Loss isn't on him, but he wasn't good enough and made a key mistake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
12 million what a waste
Thanks Dubass

Actually, I'm completely serious when I say I give Dubas a ton of credit for being able to acquire Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds at league minimum or near league minimum.

This has allowed him to bring in 3 guys who on any given night can be more impactful, more productive and reliable than Tavares. And when you average down the total $14ish million for the 4x of Tavares, Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds, you're paying about $3.5 million each.

He's really mitigated a potentially disastrous situation and this will have to be the workaround with JT for the next few years.

Reactions: BigBlu

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Actually, I'm completely serious when I say I give Dubas a ton of credit for being able to acquire Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds at league minimum or near league minimum.

This has allowed him to bring in 3 guys who on any given night can be more impactful, more productive and reliable than Tavares. And when you average down the total $14ish million for the 4x of Tavares, Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds, you're paying about $3.5 million each.

He's really mitigated a potentially disastrous situation and this will have to be the workaround with JT for the next few years.
That's true. But that also shines the light on what a horrendous contract that is. You take those 4 guys and I don't think you can say confidently that Tavares stands out as the best.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He needs to own the turnover that was unnecessary and stupid. Eat the puck, get out of the period up 4 and its game over.

Loss isn't on him, but he wasn't good enough and made a key mistake.
Since the Leafs were still on the power play at worst case they start the 3rd period 5v4, so that's why Andersen didn't need to make the home run play trying for another late goal.

Tavares does need to own his mistake and he will. However who could have predicted them blowing a 5-2 lead.

Hell since Ottawa had nothing going on that 4:00 power play in the 3rd when it was 5-3, who would have thought they scored as it ended to make it 5-4.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's true. But that also shines the light on what a horrendous contract that is. You take those 4 guys and I don't think you can say confidently that Tavares stands out as the best.

Tavares doesn't stand out as the best. But at this rate, the contract being what it is, the Leafs will have to continually work to average down his salary. In a flat cap, the only hope is you can keep luring these guys to come play here with Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: socko

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Since the Leafs were still on the power play at worst case they start the 3rd period 5v4, so that's why Andersen didn't need to make the home run play trying for another late goal.

Tavares does need to own his mistake and he will. However who could have predicted them blowing a 5-2 lead.

Hell since Ottawa had nothing going on that 4:00 power play in the 3rd when it was 5-3, who would have thought they scored as it ended to make it 5-4.
You could tell very early on anytime Ottawa was going to make Fred move they were going to score, so I was never comfortable.

Sad because they actually played some decent defense like that 4 min kill, but everything went in

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Tavares doesn't stand out as the best. But at this rate, the contract being what it is, the Leafs will have to continually work to average down his salary. In a flat cap, the only hope is you can keep luring these guys to come play here with Matthews and Marner.
I'll agree with that. The cheap old guys have been great additions to the team. I would hate to think of the team without them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'll agree with that. The cheap old guys have been great additions to the team. I would hate to think of the team without them.

I also find it sort of interesting how the young guys seem to respond so positively to Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds but with Tavares it's like an emotional black hole. Like "oh yes, we respect him..."

He would be a totally fine Leaf if he didn't take up that cap hit and didn't wear the 'C'. But it feels like we entrusted him with too much and he can't carry it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You could tell very early on anytime Ottawa was going to make Fred move they were going to score, so I was never comfortable.

Sad because they actually played some decent defense like that 4 min kill, but everything went in
Sometimes you have to ask yourself about the "Hockey Gods" when Toronto kills off that 4:00 penalty where they had more shots on goal with some decent chances and they allow a goal just as it went back to 5v5.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I also find it sort of interesting how the young guys seem to respond so positively to Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds but with Tavares it's like an emotional black hole. Like "oh yes, we respect him..."

He would be a totally fine Leaf if he didn't take up that cap hit and didn't wear the 'C'. But it feels like we entrusted him with too much and he can't carry it.

Praying the COVID situation/drop in league revenues prompts Bettman to allow 1 contract amnesty per team.

NBA did this once.

Reactions: Critical91

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Tavares hasn't had consistent line mates for more than 5 games in a row and Nylander seems all over the place. Tavares can't drive the net when Nylander is curling back every time and Milky fans on the puck every shot. Tavares is not creative, he is more of a structured player and needs some consistent line mates. I wouldn't mind seeing Hyman-Tavares-Spezza to give him some more structure and get his game back.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares hasn't had consistent line mates for more than 5 games in a row and Nylander seems all over the place. Tavares can't drive the net when Nylander is curling back every time and Milky fans on the puck every shot. Tavares is not creative, he is more of a structured player and needs some consistent line mates. I wouldn't mind seeing Hyman-Tavares-Spezza to give him some more structure and get his game back.
Since Tavares and Hyman played together at 5v5 during his first year in Toronto in the 2018-19 Season, hopefully they can have that same success when Tavares set those career highs for goals and points.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I know Tavares didn't score any goals tonight, however from what I saw he had a few good scoring chances and I think that's better than not having any chances.

Hes been decent defensively, too.

I’m still concerned he’s declined far enough that it could really hamper our ability to win during the Matthews/Marner era. This is starting to look like Dubas’ biggest mistake.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hes been decent defensively, too.

I’m still concerned he’s declined far enough that it could really hamper our ability to win during the Matthews/Marner era. This is starting to look like Dubas’ biggest mistake.
I know some of his stats early in the season was due him scoring goals or getting assists on the power play, however I thought through the first six games this season Tavares looked like the player who had a career high 47 goals and 88 points for Toronto in 2018-19. Plus like I said before the fact he had several good chances to score tonight is better than not having those chances.

John Tavares 2020-21 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Johnny Turnover...everything he touches ends up on the other players stick.

I have never seen such a high profile player play sooooo bad in my life.

Do we taxi squad him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad