John Tavares appreciation thread

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All that is true along with the fact that JT has to stop trying to deke out the whole team when he gets the puck over the blue line. It has not worked for him...like at all. Play a simple game and things will work out...playing like you still think you're in junior and trying to go through everyone on the other team is just plain stupid. Also, what is with the no look passes to areas where there isn't even a Leaf player? I don't think hail mary's are the answer for his problems.

Tavares has been making those hard aggressive stand still dekes when he gets a pass and weird no look passes off the boards to no one all season without keeping his feet moving. At times it looks like he’s making Sidney Crosby impressions out there and at people say Crosby can be difficult to play with because you need a high end IQ to keep up. In Tavares case you almost need someone to play clean up at times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares has looked a lot better tonight on the big line. Not surprising his assist on Marner came when he was moving the legs and making that play in stride.

Not sure what he was doing stickhandling out in front of the Leaf crease though that was different, though it was good to see him strong on the puck and not bail on the play at a random time.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tavares big slump:

6 goals, 19 points in 22 games.

2nd best Faceoff% in the North division, 8th in the NHL.

While 5v5 offense has been disappointing, 1.32 goals allowed/60 is the lowest of any player on the team matched against really tough QoC. (matched against McDavid tonight)

Not too worried TBH.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Can we acknowledge that JT had a good game tonight, I mean really good? Going up against McDavid and holding him, again, off the scoresheet. He hasn't yet hit his full stride, but he's playing hard, clean, winning hockey.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Would have been nice to see him rewarded with a point in the third, especially on that feed to Rielly where he has a follow up chance

Reactions: ToneDog

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I just want to see him start scoring some goals here. 11 million for good defense and an assist here and there isn’t good enough for the Captain of this team. I can’t even imagine how dominant we would be if we could pop 2019 Tavares into this lineup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At least he's actually making some moves again. Still not good enough but hopefully the points start to come.

The Leafs played a complete game and gave a full team effort last night and he looked like a contributing member to that pack mentality. Didn’t really stand out in a jaw dropping positive way or negatively as a guy who wasn’t working. But when you’re the $11 million player being buoyed by a team effort. Ehhh not that great.

Question going forward is we know he won’t give us anything close to Auston Matthews in terms of $11 million value. But can he be a Patrice Bergeron? Is that enough at nearly double the cost?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
JT has making more of an impact these last couple of games, looking quicker and trying to make more happen.

Encouraging signs and he's setting up some goals. Hopefully he gets a scoring roll soon.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
1.26 goals against/60 is now the lowest in the NHL for forwards for have played 300+ 5v5 minutes (49 total).

Reactions: blueberrie

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So over the Edmonton series and the Vancouver game it looks like Tavares is now keeping up with the pace of a shift and handling the puck more comfortably in open space while being defensively tenacious, active with the stick.

His touch around the net is still rough though with the way he’s slapping the puck at a goalie and having some issues balancing out tapping it in quickly (vs Rittich) or taking an extra moment to make a better play (vs Demko).

To me his game is definitely not $11 million worth, but how do we define success for him during the second half of the season? What player around the league would you say is an appropriate benchmark? Patrice Bergeron? Ryan O’Reilly?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So over the Edmonton series and the Vancouver game it looks like Tavares is now keeping up with the pace of a shift and handling the puck more comfortably in open space while being defensively tenacious, active with the stick.

His touch around the net is still rough though with the way he’s slapping the puck at a goalie and having some issues balancing out tapping it in quickly (vs Rittich) or taking an extra moment to make a better play (vs Demko).

To me his game is definitely not $11 million worth, but how do we define success for him during the second half of the season? What player around the league would you say is an appropriate benchmark? Patrice Bergeron? Ryan O’Reilly?

Bergeron probably.. He and his line have been very strong defensively this year, so if they can maintain that and provide some secondary scoring for the Leafs that would be appropriate for me.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Nylander/Tavares vs. Marchand/Bergeron:

CF%:
Nylander/Tavares: 53.57
Marchand/Bergeron: 61.98

xGF%:
Nylander/Tavares: 57.30
Marchand/Bergeron: 55.96

GF%:
Nylander/Tavares: 67.20
Marchand/Bergeron: 64.61

Just D:

Expected Goals Against/60:
Nylander/Tavares: 1.90
Marchand/Bergeron: 1.73

Goals Against/60:
Nylander/Tavares: 0.96
Marchand/Bergeron: 2.28

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

I’m ok with all the other things he has brought and brings on and off the ice that are not noticed by us as fans ...
I’m sure the boys and coaching staff really appreciate him in so many ways
He also hasn’t been that bad offensively and some of his giveaways are from trying so hard to justify his $ and to his teammates , but he will be ok
I’ll be very much looking forward to his leadership and production offensively and defensively in the playoffs as well as his experience and savvy , I think that’s where we will appreciate his impact more on our team and moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad