John Tavares appreciation thread

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Considering the silly stuff being said about him in recent days. This is a good time for this.
Can't drive a line, not much emotion. Not worth 11 million. I know a bunch of them are just negative nancies but it's quite annoying.
Even in an off year, he still produced elite numbers and improved defensively.
It's not a surprise every line he goes on clicks. Last year Marner and this year Nylander.
We are very fortunate to have him.

If any of you actually think he is the issue with the cap space, you are sadly mistaken.
Note: appreciation thread, not go after him with negative comments.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The thing that gets me the most is when people suggest he was a bad signing.

Just like the pieteangelo situation today, if a player comes along as a ufa and you csn sign them and they make you a better team why would you not?

At the time tavares was signed we didnt have matthews and our centers where basically kadri and bozak. Im not a dubas fan but you cannot go through thinking you will draft a specific player. A bird in the hand and all that stuff.

As for his actual contract, he deserved it imo. He put in his dues and signed as a ufa based on a body of work. Curly, larry and matthews shook dubas down on what they might do.

The same is with toews and kane, they got their big deal after how many cups, con smyths, olympic and international finishes. To compare marner to kane is laughable imo and im not a kane fan.

Tavares signing will probably be dubas claim to fame once he gets fired.

Reactions: NiftyMits

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Obviously Tavares is a great player. His contract is fair, he gels well with the team offensively and adds to the leadership we have developing.

However, i cant help but feel disappointed in his playoff performance. When you are working with such a talented offensive group its not acceptable to be shut out 2 of the 5 games. It doesnt matter if he is making 5M/year or 11M/year.

I do believe next year will be better.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
The problem we made was not signing him, we got a elite asset for free.

The problem was what Dubas did with the new found extra asset. As we got him as a free asset, it gave us the ability to move one of our assets in a big trade.

And that trade was the Kadri trade, which we all know was a disaster. Now were in the same spot but with more money tied up.

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
New Dad life has kicked in for him.

He had an off year.

Hope he's ready next year.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The narrative being given from many leaf fans recently is that the team is "too young" to be expected to be contenders. That the "young core" are all in their early 20's and it takes time for them to mature into winning playoff series.

If that truly is the case, then the Tavares signing made absolutely no sense. Because for every year that our young core gain a step, Tavares will almost assuredly start to lose a step. And at $11 mil... that's a scary thought.

I supported the Tavares signing at the time because the leafs were just coming off of a franchise point record with a talented young core. Veteran Tavares (PRIME Tavares the first 3 years or so) would push us over the top. Not only did he not push them over the edge for those two years, but the team regressed significantly and now 2/3 prime Tavares years have been squandered.

And that doesn't even get into how that $11 mil contract may have affected negotiations for the rest of the young core...

And now the flat cap...

Sometimes the 100% right decision at the time can turn into a flat out disaster. And I fear that the Tavares signing might be an example of that.

Reactions: frizzer1

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
The narrative being given from many leaf fans recently is that the team is "too young" to be expected to be contenders. That the "young core" are all in their early 20's and it takes time for them to mature into winning playoff series.

If that truly is the case, then the Tavares signing made absolutely no sense. Because for every year that our young core gain a step, Tavares will almost assuredly start to lose a step. And at $11 mil... that's a scary thought.

I supported the Tavares signing at the time because the leafs were just coming off of a franchise point record with a talented young core. Veteran Tavares (PRIME Tavares the first 3 years or so) would push us over the top. Not only did he not push them over the edge for those two years, but the team regressed significantly and now 2/3 prime Tavares years have been squandered.

And that doesn't even get into how that $11 mil contract may have affected negotiations for the rest of the young core...

And now the flat cap...

Sometimes the 100% right decision at the time can turn into a flat out disaster. And I fear that the Tavares signing might be an example of that.

Thank you, Simmons.
Now gtfo.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Considering the silly stuff being said about him in recent days. This is a good time for this.
Can't drive a line, not much emotion. Not worth 11 million. I know a bunch of them are just negative nancies but it's quite annoying.
Even in an off year, he still produced elite numbers and improved defensively.
It's not a surprise every line he goes on clicks. Last year Marner and this year Nylander.
We are very fortunate to have him.

If any of you actually think he is the issue with the cap space, you are sadly mistaken.
Note: appreciation thread, not go after him with negative comments.

He has improved defensively from his island days..key is to keep his shifts short 40 sec..he is more effective getting things done...too much toi to pad his stats is a no-no...costly for the team and his def.play...his past team was losing 13 games a year due to putting him on the ice at the last 3 mins of games with leads..eventually losing.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He has improved defensively from his island days..key is to keep his shifts short 40 sec..he is more effective getting things done...too much toi to pad his stats is a no-no...costly for the team and his def.play...his past team was losing 13 games a year due to putting him on the ice at the last 3 mins of games with leads..eventually losing.
Tavares can't be all that bad if fans of his old team are still stalking the board of the team he plays for now 2 full years after he left.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He had his best season ever his first year with us. Why? Zach and Mitch. Ideal linemates for him. We got too Matty focused last year and it cost us. Next year we will go back to what worked great.

We have to FIX our brutal defense core. No one can win with a bottom 5 group of defenders which we got. and Rielly was hurt and not utilized correctly when healthy. With Barrie gone he will slide back to his normal form. Get Savard to play with him and his game moves up to next level. Slide in Dermy to learn from Muzzy and Dermy will move up to next level in a couple seasons of training. Bring in Dillon to protect Sandin on a 3rd pair. Now we have a solid average NHL defense. Not great but it won't break. And we have Holl to play 7th d man to let Sandin and Dermy know that they can come out if they start to lose focus.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Could you delete the link plz. We don’t want kids seeing this stuff ha This guy shouldn’t be working sports in Toronto. Pure garbage. I often wonder what it is that makes a pure Pr!ck tic though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->