John Stevens must be launched into the Sun UPDATE: John Stevens & Nachbaur incinerated

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Gulutzan was Calgary's coach last season, where they didn't make playoffs but were fancy stat darlings in both Corsi and HD Chances, if I remember correctly. He's assistant coach with Edmonton right now, but I wouldn't mind trying him.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The Kings need an angry coach that is going to hold players accountable. Sutter's strict system got the Kings their 2 cups. Yes, that style of coaching doesn't last long with a team, but he would be good for another 2-3 seasons. I would love to have crazy Torts coaching this team to just light a fire in the players.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Gulutzan was Calgary's coach last season, where they didn't make playoffs but were fancy stat darlings in both Corsi and HD Chances, if I remember correctly. He's assistant coach with Edmonton right now, but I wouldn't mind trying him.
From what Calgary fans have said hes a great assistant coach but lame as a head coach.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Hadn't even thought of that. Definitely a hiring challenge.

I would have liked to have seen Ralph Kreuger get a 2nd chance with not-Oilers. But I'm frankly not even sure who is out there right now.

Krueger would be a great hire to be honest. Last I heard he was in Europe working with a soccer team so who knows if he would come back, though he did coach Team Europe in the World Cup of Hockey. The rag tag team that pushed Canada in the end. Another idea would be Alain Vigneault. He has had some flame outs in the Finals, but he has also shown that he can manage egos fairly well and has had success with 2 different teams.

Last edited:

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
No, he would be the wrong coach, almost like bringing in Dallas Eakins, if the Kings were younger, absolutely, but the coach of the team as it is now, has to manage egos more than develop kids, the only kids that need developing is Kempe, Amadio, and JAD right now...

Wasn't thinking for the development side, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to get the most out of the next wave of kids coming up. I was thinking more along the lines of his systems which tend to be more possession and speed based, use open space to make and create plays. It would be great to see what he can do with proven players and use the kids to fill in and eventually take over.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Kopitar tends not to work well with talented wingers. He's never done better over a long period of time than when he had an older Brown and 9 goal Iafallo flanking him. Williams wasn't overly talented. Gaborik worked great in the 2014 playoffs, but he scored most of his goals within like 5 feet of the net. Kovalchuk isn't really that guy. We don't even want him there on the PP.

a part of kopi's tragedy is that he didn't have a lot of chances to play with damn good wingers, at least in stable relationships. kovy is perhaps the closest to a damn good wing that he ever had, talent-wise. imho they could build a very good relationship on and off the ice. just give them some time.

Both guys sort of want to carry the puck. They might be too similar to work well with each other. Kopitar isn't as frustrating when he's the primary goal scorer on a line, almost forcing him to shoot, instead of defer.

well, in that case kovy could play a center in the second line.... but i doubt we'll see that.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Rocky Thompson and Benoit Groulx are two other names I've seen come up and read good things about, but I haven't looked at enough to know about them

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Gaborik/Kopitar almost happened in 2009, I think it would have been electric. Think of that first goal in Game 2 vs. Anaheim like 20 seconds in, that was a vintage Gaborik goal off the wing. And he had lost a step by then, imagine him still in his prime.

Reactions: mrkolice

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
ok so I've sent an email to [email protected]
and i placed a $30 bet on Stevens being the first coach to get fired odds are 45:1
$1,350.00 in the bank
tampering like a BOSS

Oooh. Where can you make that bet? I was guessing within 3 weeks. If for some reason Stevens makes some massive headway and turns it around, I'll be glad enough to overlook the loss I take.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Kings need a technician type coach on the PP. A guy that can really teach it. Like football plays. They can be predetermined and somewhat choreographed. The next move can be based on reads, and involves more than the guy with the puck making some reads. There’s movement quickly, of both the puck and the players. Quickly. It takes practice and detail. Not this let drew and Kopi play sloppy catch and everyone else go to the net. A good PP just isn’t that simple.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Through bodog.com

Which head coach will be the first to lose his job this season (before April 1, 2019)?
Todd McLellan-EDM
Guy Boucher-OTT
Jeff Blashill-DET
Joel Quenneville-CHI
Bruce Boudreau-MIN
Dave Hakstol-PHI
Bob Boughner-FLO
Randy Carlyle-ANA
Phil Housley-BUF
Travis Green-VAN
Rick Tocchet-ARI
Mike Yeo-STL
John Stevens-L.A
Peter DeBoer-S.J
John Hynes-N.J
Jared Bednar-COL
Claude Julien-MTL
Mike Sullivan-PIT
Paul Maurice-WIN
Bruce Cassidy-BOS
Bill Peters-CGY
Rod Brind'Amour-CAR
Jim Montgomery-DAL
Barry Trotz-NYI
David Quinn-NYR
Todd Reirden-WAS
John Tortorella-CLB
Gerard Gallant-VGK
Jon Cooper-T.B
Peter Laviolette-NAS
Mike Babcock-TOR
None of the above answers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Last year, i placed a $20 bet on Vigneault being the first coach to get fired

but he got fired AFTER APRIL 1st (april 7th to be exact) ... i only realized this sneaky little rule AFTER my celebration

i was so f***ing pissed!

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
the money's good for Stevens considering that it's not that far fetched

Mike Sullivan would be another interesting bet to make

McLellan is the obvious choice though, however it would be a poor move by the GM to make since it's not really the coach's fault in EDM's case... unlike LA where Stevens definitely shares the blame

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think if Stevens is fired the best option for the kings to hire is our ahl coach Mike Smothers If anyone will give our youth a decent shot at ice time it would be him as he knows what situation they can excel in. This is what this team needs more then anything i believe in putting players in the right spots and i don't think some are.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The Kings need a technician type coach on the PP. A guy that can really teach it. Like football plays. They can be predetermined and somewhat choreographed. The next move can be based on reads, and involves more than the guy with the puck making some reads. There’s movement quickly, of both the puck and the players. Quickly. It takes practice and detail. Not this let drew and Kopi play sloppy catch and everyone else go to the net. A good PP just isn’t that simple.
I feel like the best their pp has been in recent years was when Bernie Nicholls was around and helping out.

Reactions: yankeeking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad