John Stevens must be launched into the Sun UPDATE: John Stevens & Nachbaur incinerated

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Is it really Steven's though. It's starting to feel more and more like a lot of the players either just suck or don't give a f***.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Speaking of launching into the sun...

GrayHollowCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Is it really Steven's though. It's starting to feel more and more like a lot of the players either just suck or don't give a ****.

You can't fire all the players that are just going through the motions and enjoying the Manhattan Beach Project. You can however bring in a coach who doesn't take orders from the players despite the locker room thinking they are still former champions and can just show up and play. It's time for bag skates, it's time for scratches of top 6 players, it's time for when asked how the team played after the game names are dropped and the coach flat out says the team sucked. It's too easy to play in LA, no press, no pressure, a players coach, what is motivating these players?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You can't fire all the players that are just going through the motions and enjoying the Manhattan Beach Project. You can however bring in a coach who doesn't take orders from the players despite the locker room thinking they are still former champions and can just show up and play. It's time for bag skates, it's time for scratches of top 6 players, it's time for when asked how the team played after the game names are dropped and the coach flat out says the team sucked. It's too easy to play in LA, no press, no pressure, a players coach, what is motivating these players?

They're just going to lock the next guy out of the room with trash cans again.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think it will be interesting to see what happens either way,

If Stevens is fired, Blake is admitting that he screwed up by hiring him last year (I think he had to regardless with what LA had done to Stevens years previously, but that's another story)

If Stevens isn't fired and say Pearson/Toffoli is traded or anyone from the roster is traded, does that signify that Blake was wrong in thinking the roster was "fine" or "contending"

Either way it seems like Blake is in a no-win situation.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

If Stevens is fired, Blake is admitting that he screwed up by hiring him last year (I think he had to regardless with what LA had done to Stevens years previously, but that's another story)

If Stevens isn't fired and say Pearson/Toffoli is traded or anyone from the roster is traded, does that signify that Blake was wrong in thinking the roster was "fine" or "contending"

Considering Luc wrote a letter about how they have the core to make this happen, my guess is Blake will be forced to have Stevens fall on the sword, but I think it's only part of the problem.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Any insubordination shown to Stevens, or the next coach by these players should not be tolerated.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

That's just the GM position. The buck stops there. In the end, the team is going to be due for a course correction soon so it is up to Blake to make a move. We'll see.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That's just the GM position. The buck stops there. In the end, the team is going to be due for a course correction soon so it is up to Blake to make a move. We'll see.

Oh I agree, it's just gonna be interesting to see what he does, self-preserve, or the right thing if they are mutually exclusive

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I dunno. I am all for a nuderection but I would keep Luc and Blakey. Loyalty is an important thing to display. Sure there are lines to be drawn but we have lived in the GM revolving door franchise status forever and I for one think that so far RB has done a very good job at the draft table anyways (and crew) so I would give him more time. Luc should just be given the honorary lifetime president award and given time to work himself out of a job.

I know we are off to a rough start but I still believe that this very crew has all it needs to win another cup or at least the players that we need to win another cup. I am concerned but not panicked.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I mean, that's what, three press conferences in a row where Stevens said "I don't know what the problem is?"

Jesus ****ing christ if I EVER said that ONCE as an employee in my past careers

That's what bothers me when people are saying that this is a 50/50 problem with players and staff.

If your coach is saying that then that shit trickles down easily.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's what bothers me when people are saying that this is a 50/50 problem with players and staff.

If your coach is saying that then that **** trickles down easily.

There's also that and apparently now the previous rift between him and Doughty appears to have opened back up with him subtly calling out the team's effort and Doughty's essential f*** you we're trying, your system is broken right back.

Stevens continually saying I don't know, it's the players' effort and execution may even be true (I disagree) but that's still something you don't continually go to in public. Everything would be fine if everyone just listened to me while the other side is saying about the opposite tells me everything I need to know about this team's confidence, fragility, cohesiveness right now and it starts at the top with a lack of vision and identity.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
There's also that and apparently now the previous rift between him and Doughty appears to have opened back up with him subtly calling out the team's effort and Doughty's essential **** you we're trying, your system is broken right back.

Stevens continually saying I don't know, it's the players' effort and execution may even be true (I disagree) but that's still something you don't continually go to in public.

Wait where have you seen that reported rift between him and Doughty?

For sure, I get that, but if he's saying that in public you can only wonder how he is in the locker room.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Does anyone really believe Doughty has lost his confidence? I think it's just a quote to add further heat to the coaching position hot seat Stevens is experiencing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->