John Stevens must be launched into the Sun UPDATE: John Stevens & Nachbaur incinerated

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Roster needs to change.

You need a complete re-draft if you want the Kings to play like the Hawks circa 2011-2016. The Hawks don't even play like the hey-day Hawks anymore.

Reactions: KINGS17

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
why not lol

Sent a long email. You guys should too.

In my email to Lombardi I argued that Dwight King had no place on the team. 3 years later he got traded. Ummm... maybe it worked? [/sarcasm]. The funny thing though about his response was something along the lines of 'fair point', but he countered with the fact that at the time, the top players who were counted on producing, weren't. Which was true.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Easiest stretch of games in years and we've found a way to go 0-for-infinity on the powerplay and just get slaughtered in possession and chances night after night. Can't wait to see what we look like vs. playoff teams.

Better be some serious soul searching by the organization over the next couple of days because rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic only lasts so long.

I thought you were done after today's game? :)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The biggest problem with the PP is still going to be Doughty, he's just not good on the PP, it's the elephant in the room again.

He never reads the play right to sneak down from the point, when he gets it at the point he either shoots it into shin pads or he Stoll's it off the glass. There are certainly other issues with the PP, but if Doughty's PP skills matched the rest of his game I doubt we are nearly this bad on the PP.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The biggest problem with the PP is still going to be Doughty, he's just not good on the PP, it's the elephant in the room again.

He never reads the play right to sneak down from the point, when he gets it at the point he either shoots it into shin pads or he Stoll's it off the glass. There are certainly other issues with the PP, but if Doughty's PP skills matched the rest of his game I doubt we are nearly this bad on the PP.

The Doughty that the Kings need on the PP is the Devils goal in the Final, the Rangers goal in the Final, or that one against the Coyotes where he walked the line a bit and got a wrister through. Instead of that, we get him wanting to be MacInnis with a booming stationary shot from the point that hurts the goalie and rips a hole in the net. Unless the coaches are the ones that keep telling him to just stand there and shoot. He needs to be a roamer though. Constantly moving around on the PP. Up, down, left, right, B, A, B, A, start. As long as he's at the right point, slowly shooting slappers, he'll keep getting them blocked save for the one or two that manage to get through every year.

It would also help everything if Kopitar either didn't take, or got better at taking, the opening PP faceoff. It really seems to set the tone for the entire 2 minutes. If that first faceoff is lost, it's almost a guarantee that they will do nothing on that man advantage. There ends up being one or two offsides. They waste at least a minute having to go back and get the puck multiple times. Those stupid drop passes, which isn't just a Kings thing. There has to be some metric that shows that actually works, since a lot of teams do it.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
this caught my eye, via lak insider, just after sens gang bang:

Kopitar, on the subtleties that make an impact in the game:

It’s hard to score in this league and if you’re not going to the right spots, if you’re not making the right plays it’s tough to score.

translated: first line suxxx right now. i know kopi well enough to read between the lines here. and it's a message to kovy, to stick with a plan.

now, what should scapegoat stevens do here? how to build chemistry in the ego bombastic first line?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
this caught my eye, via lak insider, just after sens gang bang:

Kopitar, on the subtleties that make an impact in the game:

It’s hard to score in this league and if you’re not going to the right spots, if you’re not making the right plays it’s tough to score.

translated: first line suxxx right now. i know kopi well enough to read between the lines here. and it's a message to kovy, to stick with a plan.

now, what should scapegoat stevens do here? how to build chemistry in the ego bombastic first line?

Keep in mind, the initially did not have Kovalchuk with Kopitar,

It was slated to be,

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Carter - Kempe
Pearson - Amadio - Toffoli
Clifford - Thompson - Lewis
Brodzinski xxxxx

Now with Brown out, JAD playing very well with Amadio and Carter, it will be interesting to see what they do when Brown comes back or JAD reaches his 9th game I think JAD reaching his 9th game will happen first...

Reactions: King Trouty

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Keep in mind, the initially did not have Kovalchuk with Kopitar,

It was slated to be,

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Carter - Kempe
Pearson - Amadio - Toffoli
Clifford - Thompson - Lewis
Brodzinski xxxxx

Now with Brown out, JAD playing very well with Amadio and Carter, it will be interesting to see what they do when Brown comes back or JAD reaches his 9th game I think JAD reaching his 9th game will happen first...

when i first saw that kovy signed it crossed my mind "finally that's a winger for kopi". later management confirmed that. metaphorically they are predestined to play side by side.

brown out it is a huge point at the moment. top lines are less fluid without him. still, bottomline: kopi & kovy MUST play together.

i hope it's just a chemistry thing, learning curve, stuff like that. two grandmasters of the game, i still have big hopes for this coxless pair.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
tenor.gif

Reactions: King Trouty
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Stevens is the Kings in a nut shell. Stoic, zero emotion, always under control, boring. Getting crazy on Saturday night means going for the milk with lactose and maybe going for 3 Chips Ahoy rather than the usual 2 at 9PM exactly while in his jam jams. This island is too dry. The Kings are so boring that instead of banning Fortnite they had to ban Dungeons and Dragons cause none of the King players knew what the hell Fortnite was.

Reactions: tny760 and lumbergh

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Sheldon Keefe, coaches the Marlies. Don't know if we could get him mid season, but would be a good candidate to replace him

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sheldon Keefe, coaches the Marlies. Don't know if we could get him mid season, but would be a good candidate to replace him

No, he would be the wrong coach, almost like bringing in Dallas Eakins, if the Kings were younger, absolutely, but the coach of the team as it is now, has to manage egos more than develop kids, the only kids that need developing is Kempe, Amadio, and JAD right now...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
when i first saw that kovy signed it crossed my mind "finally that's a winger for kopi". later management confirmed that. metaphorically they are predestined to play side by side.

brown out it is a huge point at the moment. top lines are less fluid without him. still, bottomline: kopi & kovy MUST play together.

i hope it's just a chemistry thing, learning curve, stuff like that. two grandmasters of the game, i still have big hopes for this coxless pair.

Kopitar tends not to work well with talented wingers. He's never done better over a long period of time than when he had an older Brown and 9 goal Iafallo flanking him. Williams wasn't overly talented. Gaborik worked great in the 2014 playoffs, but he scored most of his goals within like 5 feet of the net. Kovalchuk isn't really that guy. We don't even want him there on the PP.

Both guys sort of want to carry the puck. They might be too similar to work well with each other. Kopitar isn't as frustrating when he's the primary goal scorer on a line, almost forcing him to shoot, instead of defer.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, he would be the wrong coach, almost like bringing in Dallas Eakins, if the Kings were younger, absolutely, but the coach of the team as it is now, has to manage egos more than develop kids, the only kids that need developing is Kempe, Amadio, and JAD right now...

Hadn't even thought of that. Definitely a hiring challenge.

I would have liked to have seen Ralph Kreuger get a 2nd chance with not-Oilers. But I'm frankly not even sure who is out there right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->