Confirmed with Link: John Sedgwick promoted to assistant general manager

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
This is such a problem with todays society. You have to hire good people for the job. You can't put diversity at the top of the list. I work in the engineering field. Plenty of qualified women, people of color, etc. My team is very diverse because the amount of people that have expertise in this field is great. In hockey world, not that much diversity. You can't have that much diversity at the top. It has to start at the bottom and work their way up.

Find me a woman, or a person of color that has equal to greater knowledge as John Sedgwick.

We need to lose the ignorant blanket statements about diversity as they do not exist in a vacuum. If I choose to be ignorant, I can take your comment as discriminatory as white middle aged men should have equal right to be hired for the expertise they have, not be ignored for the color of their skin.

I digress.

edit: What I mean by the bolded is that as more and more "diverse" individual are interested in hockey, the pool of individuals will grow. As an 80s baby, I have to think my generation, at least here in Quebec are the first generation of immigrants that have taken great interest in hockey to the point of being greatly involved in the sport.

I'm in IT, and I am also surrounded by minorities which I honestly enjoy.

I bolded a different part of your text, because this is the thinking that can hurt some companies trying to be more diverse.

You're right, there might not be a minority or woman who has equal or greater knowledge as Sedgwick, but that is to expected as the majority of staff within all NHL franchises from top to bottom, are white males. So, how would a woman or someone of color have the CHANCE to be in such a position if they struggle to even get involved.

I agree it starts from the bottom up, and I'm not really upset about the hire as everything I've heard about Sedgwick has been promising. I'd just like to know that we were having a completely open mind and listening to ideas from all people, and then picking the best candidate. Take Poulin for instance, when they day comes that she retires from hockey, I'd love for the Habs to try and get her into player development or some other role and let her grow her business acumen if that is what she would like to do.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I bolded a different part of your text, because this is the thinking that can hurt some companies trying to be more diverse.

You're right, there might not be a minority or woman who has equal or greater knowledge as Sedgwick, but that is to expected as the majority of staff within all NHL franchises from top to bottom, are white males. So, how would a woman or someone of color have the CHANCE to be in such a position if they struggle to even get involved.

I agree it starts from the bottom up, and I'm not really upset about the hire as everything I've heard about Sedgwick has been promising. I'd just like to know that we were having a completely open mind and listening to ideas from all people, and then picking the best candidate. Take Poulin for instance, when they day comes that she retires from hockey, I'd love for the Habs to try and get her into player development or some other role and let her grow her business acumen if that is what she would like to do.
It’s already report that the Habs have contract M-P Poulin to know watch she want to do after her career

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

I feel we have a very similar way of thinking, however we differ on one large point of view for this discussion.

The bolded I believe is very wrong. Companies should not need to be more diverse, they should hire the best candidates that apply. You can't force knowledge and experience overnight. Some minorities, groups of individuals may not have had great interest in certain things when (simply using your example from before) white middle-aged men have been interested and exceled in a certain field for decades.

In my opinion it shouldn't be about percentages and HR mandates. While I am aware that some humans are still prejudice towards certain individuals... You can't punish those who may be those assholes preferred people. What we must do as a society is be inclusive and reward the best people in any given field for their ability, not their diversity.

Reactions: Eco

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I feel we have a very similar way of thinking, however we differ on one large point of view for this discussion.

The bolded I believe is very wrong. Companies should not need to be more diverse, they should hire the best candidates that apply. You can't force knowledge and experience overnight. Some minorities, groups of individuals may not have had great interest in certain things when (simply using your example from before) white middle-aged men have been interested and exceled in a certain field for decades.

In my opinion it shouldn't be about percentages and HR mandates. While I am aware that some humans are still prejudice towards certain individuals... You can't punish those who may be those assholes preferred people. What we must do as a society is be inclusive and reward the best people in any given field for their ability, not their diversity.

There's a law in California forcing company boards to have one female member. Despite all the complaints that there weren't going to be enough qualified female candidates it's actually been a resounding success. Once they looked beyond the old boys network they found plenty of highly qualified individuals that would never have been given the chance despite being amazing candidates because hiring is almost always about who you know. On top of that studies show a more diverse board leads to more success.

There might not be minority candidate with as much experience as Sedgwick but as MSL is showing experience isn't what's most important.

For the record I'm fine with Sedgwick's promotion. But the idea that there aren't any non white male candidates that would be as good or better is nonsense.

Reactions: Doc5

Jul 6, 2016
Pleky still seems emotionally attached to this club. It's not the first time he's talked about the habs on social media.

I wonder if he finds his way back into the organization in some capacity down the line.

He could be a good scout in Europe.

Reactions: FloJack

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

Ridiculously privileged take.
It's not about being interested or excelling in fields, attributing that to race or gender is ignorant. It is about opportunities to demonstrate said talent. The white privileged man that you refer to has more opportunities to do so.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC

Yeah - I think we are on the same page.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Ridiculously privileged take.
It's not about being interested or excelling in fields, attributing that to race or gender is ignorant. It is about opportunities to demonstrate said talent. The white privileged man that you refer to has more opportunities to do so.

How did you know I was privledged? This type of disingenious thought is what is wrong with society today. You think counter prejudice is any better than the prejudice itself?

Don't misrepresent what I am saying; I do know prejudice exist. I have seen it with my own two eyes. I have lived it even if the color of my skin is white. This is reality. I do not believe regulating the way people think is the way to make any positive changes; this only further creates seperation. Education is the only way.

Now I am a big NFL fan, played football my teenage years. The problem the NFL has is a microcosm of the problem. Plenty of good minority candidates, with knowledge, interest, excelling in said field, are getting the shaft because the owners of whatever team appears to favour white men. I want to say the problem in the NFL is an exceptional problem, not the rule. But I am ignorant, what can I say. I see only what my eyes see. In my field I am lucky that my team is incredibly diverse and we all work well together.

My greatest fear are for my two boys, who will grow up entirely colorblind. Are they going to miss out on oppurtunities given this "diverse" movement? If they show up and aren't selected because those who were are simply better than them. That's life kid, we will adjust where we can. However if they show up and are the best candidate and they get passed over because of the color of their skin? How is that any better? How can you fight to be included while simultaneously excluding others?

As for the bolded part of yor post. Two words: SHOW UP. It's all about attitude. If you show up and show whoever you deserve the oppurtunity and are the best candidate for the oppurtunity, I would be hard pressed not to think you'll get it. Maybe I'm naive. I will continue to build my team with the best people for the position. I hope to one day see you there.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
There's a law in California forcing company boards to have one female member. Despite all the complaints that there weren't going to be enough qualified female candidates it's actually been a resounding success. Once they looked beyond the old boys network they found plenty of highly qualified individuals that would never have been given the chance despite being amazing candidates because hiring is almost always about who you know. On top of that studies show a more diverse board leads to more success.

There might not be minority candidate with as much experience as Sedgwick but as MSL is showing experience isn't what's most important.

For the record I'm fine with Sedgwick's promotion. But the idea that there aren't any non white male candidates that would be as good or better is nonsense.

I apologize if you believe my post came off as disingenious, it wasn't my intention. I am sure in more global fields that minorities, woman, whoever are qualified and can do the job as good, if not better. My boss is a woman and she commands the room. She does an excellent job and her gender plays no part in it. As for Sedgwick, he posses some particular qualities. This is the post about Sedgwick being promoted and my post was global yet specific to his situation. While the role of an AGM is broad, clearly Sedgwick being a lawyer, having been responsible for the cap and knows the CBA are some important attributes that makes him "one of a kind". Now this opens up doors to have individuals replace him in what he was doing before. With him still being there he can oversee and train new people.

You sized up my post in your bolded comment at the end. Well it's not that I think that. It's just the probabilities are low and maybe even harder to find someone given Sedgwick credentials.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
How did you know I was privledged? This type of disingenious thought is what is wrong with society today. You think counter prejudice is any better than the prejudice itself?

I appreciate your reply. I will respond to each part separately to make sure I address most of your points.

I did not mean to say you were privileged, I do not know anything about you nor your journey. I am referring to the average white man that holds some kind of position of power compared to a counterpart that was not a white male, the white male definitely jumped through fewer hoops than the counterpart. I can guarantee you that. It does not mean that that person did not work hard, they surely did, it's just that the minority had to work harder. That is how society is today.

During the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, there was a segment that countered with All lives Matter (ALM). An analogy that BLM supporters provided to the ALM group to help them understand was that yes all houses in the neighbourhood matter, but the fire fighters need to work on the house on fire right now, not the house a few houses down that is fine and doing well. So to return to your point, this is nothing to do with counter prejudice but more about addressing the prejudice it self.

Don't misrepresent what I am saying; I do know prejudice exist. I have seen it with my own two eyes. I have lived it even if the color of my skin is white. This is reality. I do not believe regulating the way people think is the way to make any positive changes; this only further creates seperation. Education is the only way.

I agree. Although that is over-simplifying a large problem. There are many barriers to getting that said education and then even after obtaining the education there are many barriers to getting the opportunity.
If you want to discuss this further, I can point to examples of 'regulating the way people think' and show how it led to a more diverse environment compared to before such legislations were implemented without sacrificing the quality of personel.

Now I am a big NFL fan, played football my teenage years. The problem the NFL has is a microcosm of the problem. Plenty of good minority candidates, with knowledge, interest, excelling in said field, are getting the shaft because the owners of whatever team appears to favour white men. I want to say the problem in the NFL is an exceptional problem, not the rule. But I am ignorant, what can I say. I see only what my eyes see. In my field I am lucky that my team is incredibly diverse and we all work well together.

I am not an NFL fan but I too am aware of this as well because there has been a huge spotlight that has been on this issue as well Netflix documentaries created on it. If you don't think this is happening in other leagues, then yes, I agree you are being ignorant.
I am happy to hear that your team in your field is diverse. I have worked in different fields with different teams, I have seen teams that are diverse, and I have seen teams that were not. Both types of teams worked well, except one put in an effort to diversify their team whereas the other did not.

My greatest fear are for my two boys, who will grow up entirely colorblind. Are they going to miss out on oppurtunities given this "diverse" movement? If they show up and aren't selected because those who were are simply better than them. That's life kid, we will adjust where we can. However if they show up and are the best candidate and they get passed over because of the color of their skin? How is that any better? How can you fight to be included while simultaneously excluding others?

That's a valid concern as a father but you're putting the wagon before the horse. You're worried about the pendulum overcorrecting when we are far from it correcting in the first place. These are the very obstacles that the minority are faced with every step of their academic and professional career and to compensate they have to over qualify for positions moreso than other candidates. I am hoping that future generations do not have to experience this.

As for the bolded part of yor post. Two words: SHOW UP. It's all about attitude. If you show up and show whoever you deserve the oppurtunity and are the best candidate for the oppurtunity, I would be hard pressed not to think you'll get it. Maybe I'm naive. I will continue to build my team with the best people for the position. I hope to one day see you there.

Showing up isn't the hard part, the problem digs deeper than just showing up. However, I digress, this is definitely not a topic for a sports forum but I couldn't not address this as I feel most of the posts here about this were coming from a non minority perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad