Confirmed with Link: John Sedgwick promoted to assistant general manager

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Except for the last 10 months of Bergevin where he wents nuts.....our cap has been pretty well managed during the Bergevin era overall.

And with the Taxi Squads last year and all the cap managing that needed to be made throughout the whole year, it is thanks to Sedgwick they were able to keep their head afloat. Waiving Byron was one of those moves that needed to be done to create cap space.

And the maneuvering that needed to be done to fit Caufield into the line-up without going over the cap, as well.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I thought one of the changes we were supposed to see if more diversity....

A middle aged white guy isn't really what I'd call, diverse.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017

is that sarcasm? Because otherwise this makes no sense what you say.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Weber will never retire while his contrat is open. No one would say no to get millions at home. even if you have a billion

maybe, maybe not. It's not like he's collecting a Millon bucks, taxes, agent fees, etc... And my point was more about the Habs asking him to and hiring him on as a scout or whatever role both sides feel would work. Plus he has to get tested by the NHL to prove he can't play, he may not feel like going through the hassle while also wanting to help the team that wants to hire him if he wants the job.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Does anybody know if he has any hockey experience? From what I can see he has been with the team for a decade or so as director of legal affaires and the VP of legal affaires with VP of hockey Ops?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Does anybody know if he has any hockey experience? From what I can see he has been with the team for a decade or so as director of legal affaires and the VP of legal affaires with VP of hockey Ops?

No professional hockey experience, he's a lawyer. He was part of the law firm that was contracted to the NHL office to help make the cap and CBA. He was eventually hired by said NHL office and then when MB was named GM he poached him for the Habs to be the team legal guy.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
is that sarcasm? Because otherwise this makes no sense what you say.

Yes and no.

It was Gorton that spoke of diversity hires, no?

So far the hires have been great, but not diverse. Was thinking that maybe the AGM would be a minority.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t mind it. He’s less of a hockey guy than JG and KH, but he’s not being promoted for those skills.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Maybe you bootlickers should be looking at Price and Drouins first. At least Gally is playing.

To be fair, Gally isn't playing he's a hinderance on almost every shift. Also, did any of us 'bootlicker's applaud the Price and Drouin contract, or do you just make stuff up in your little play world?

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Pleky still seems emotionally attached to this club. It's not the first time he's talked about the habs on social media.

I wonder if he finds his way back into the organization in some capacity down the line.

Co-Director of Scouting (Europe).

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Pleky still seems emotionally attached to this club. It's not the first time he's talked about the habs on social media.

I wonder if he finds his way back into the organization in some capacity down the line.

He doesn’t know, nor has he ever worked with, Gorton, and Hughes wasn’t his agent, nor does his son play college hockey with Kent’s son, so I would say unlikely.

Reactions: Guess

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
wonder if the Habs would ask Weber to retire after this season, as next year he drops to 3M and then 3 years at 1M. After making over 120M or so, it's not like he needs the money.
I think they will try and do that and sign him in a management role

Reactions: montreal

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

This is such a problem with todays society. You have to hire good people for the job. You can't put diversity at the top of the list. I work in the engineering field. Plenty of qualified women, people of color, etc. My team is very diverse because the amount of people that have expertise in this field is great. In hockey world, not that much diversity. You can't have that much diversity at the top. It has to start at the bottom and work their way up.

Find me a woman, or a person of color that has equal to greater knowledge as John Sedgwick.

We need to lose the ignorant blanket statements about diversity as they do not exist in a vacuum. If I choose to be ignorant, I can take your comment as discriminatory as white middle aged men should have equal right to be hired for the expertise they have, not be ignored for the color of their skin.

I digress.

edit: What I mean by the bolded is that as more and more "diverse" individual are interested in hockey, the pool of individuals will grow. As an 80s baby, I have to think my generation, at least here in Quebec are the first generation of immigrants that have taken great interest in hockey to the point of being greatly involved in the sport.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Maybe in the euro player development, so like that he can stay with his family

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Bergevin.

Sedgwick might have helped make sure things are on the up and up within the CBA. But it ain't Sedgwick who sat down with Pleky's agent to negotiate his two contracts he signed when MB was there.

I was just kidding. It's because you posted this earlier, notice the bold:

Here is a little light on what he's done and what he's been up to:

Montreal Canadiens general manager, Kent Hughes, announced on Wednesday that John Sedgwick has been promoted to assistant general manager.

Sedgwick initially joined the Canadiens in April 2013 as the director of legal affairs before being promoted to vice president of hockey operations and legal affairs in July 2017. His responsibilities include player contract negotiation and salary arbitration, daily management and strategic planning of the salary cap, as well as overseeing all matters related to the NHL-NHLPA collective bargaining agreement. Prior to joining the Canadiens, Sedgwick was a member of the National Hockey League's Hockey Operations Department in Toronto where he worked from 2006 to 2013.

Sedgwick was heavily involved in the launch of the Laval Rocket, while also serving as the principal Governor for the Rocket with the American Hockey League. He also oversaw the establishment of the Canadiens' new affiliation with the ECHL's Trois-Rivieres Lions.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad