News Article: John Scott Claims Phil Kessel Agreed to Fight

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yeah right. I'm sure he said all that and that Kessel agreed. Watch the video. He says about 3 words to Phil and Kessel didn't say anything back.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's a thread for this.

In the illustrious words of Ron Rolston "Everyone has a story. It just depends which one you want to roll with" Ok good point. I'll start by ignoring this one.

Rolston4.jpg

Herp derp.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I actually heard a couple of funny quotes from him yesterday.

The first was him saying that he didn't think that the league should suspend Kess because it was a fair fight. (Him with his hands and Phil with his stick)

The second was him acting upset because all of the attention was taken away from his "sick assist"

The guy's a ******* but I thought that it was pretty funny

EDDIE20*

It's official, ladies and gentlemen - John Scott's porch light is burnt out completely.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Even IF Kessel said that (which I doubt) there is no way he would have been serious. I am sure he thought Scott was just trying to scare him or something....

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
As an outsider I have to agree with most of the comments here. Scott is an idiot and I hope, but doubt, he gets as many games as Kessel. He lost a lot of respect in the league for his actions and this will be what he is remembered for.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
who would buy that

Everyone knows Kessel is afraid of his own shadow and plays on the perimeter because he avoids contact like the plague. His reputation precedes him in that regard, as its no secret.

No one is going to believe Scott that Kessel agreed to fight him.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
I MIGHT believe Kessel "agreed" in some sarcastic manner, but even if that was the case, it's up to Scott to have some common sense to determine if he should drop them or not with Phil Kessel.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Ya right, I can imagine Kessel asking to fight him, talk about the Elephant being afraid of the Mouse....LOL

Kessel 6'.0" 202 lbs vs Scott 6'.8" 270 lbs

Scott will go up against the wrong guy the next time and it may end quite differently.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Everyone knows Kessel is afraid of his own shadow and plays on the perimeter because he avoids contact like the plague. His reputation precedes him in that regard, as its no secret.

No one is going to believe Scott that Kessel agreed to fight him.

We get it, you don't like him.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The source is Devane vs Tropp.

This was the trigger.
When Tropp fell and got KO off, then the rest followed.

At that point, having Kessel in frot of him a showed that Carlyle was ready to offer him as a target.
He could have bring anyone on the ice he had last pick.

So basically, after hurting a Sabre's player, you bring Kessel to taunt Scott.

Yeah, that is exactly what Carlyle did. Use his best player as a sacrificial lamb.

Real sane logic.

EDDIE20*

I'm not overly concerned with anything that stupid oaf has to say. Scott's major accomplishment in hockey was threatening a lightweight and getting someone to leave the bench. That'll surely win some games for the Sabres. They'll go deep in the playoffs with this guy.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I actually heard a couple of funny quotes from him yesterday.

The first was him saying that he didn't think that the league should suspend Kess because it was a fair fight. (Him with his hands and Phil with his stick)

The second was him acting upset because all of the attention was taken away from his "sick assist"

The guy's a ******* but I thought that it was pretty funny

Yep, if this guy was a Leaf he'd be a fan favorite.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
This whole incident is a great example of how the NHL hasn't a clue how to stop this type of nonsense. This "enforcer" goes after a player who is no threat to do anything other than score and help others score and yet Scott will get off free of consequences other than shame. The coach of the team who sent him out to cause this mayhem gets no suspension and very little discussion.

EDDIE20*

This whole incident is a great example of how the NHL hasn't a clue how to stop this type of nonsense. This "enforcer" goes after a player who is no threat to do anything other than score and help others score and yet Scott will get off free of consequences other than shame. The coach of the team who sent him out to cause this mayhem gets no suspension and very little discussion.

Agreed. Mind you, something tells me Rolston will be gone by the end of the season. He's a terrible coach.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I agree with the first sentence (but I would like to hear Buf perspective on this).

I agree with the statement in bold.
We do not know what Kessel said.

I also agree that the coach who sent him in front of Scott was an AO.
He had the choice and sending Kessel was arrogant.

But we don't know the rest: Kessel could have provoked Scott assuming that he would never go after him.

Scott is sent on the ice after an incident (qualify it anyway you want).
He was already pumped up with this.

Kessel is sent in front of him and does engage with him verbally.
Enough to entice a reaction we have never seen from Scott.

Scott is 30 years old. Had only 7 fights last season.
Only engaged with top fighters (I can not use heavyweights at this point).
All of a sudden, he does change his behavior?
What Kessel told him?

Why the best fighter in the league would go after a top-6 player for the first time in his life?

I wished we would have the audio on this.
Can not Blame Kessel for the first high sticking.

But the last one, when he speared Scott while he was held by Clarkson and the referee was worth 5 games.:shakehead

He recovered his gloves and stick and went back to provoke Scott as he was dealing with Clarkson.

Kessel was in my pool but this incident prompted me to remove him for now. I will wait till he completes his time off the ice.

I was at this game. There was nothing about the Devane/Tropp fight that anyone thought needed to be addressed. Tropp wanted to fight Devane, they fought, Tropp took a punch that KO'd him. Devane did not taunt or celebrate, in fact, he was making sure Tropp was ok from the open door of the box.

This being a preseason game....and the fact that it was a one goal game at the time....why would anyone think that the stonehanded meathead would attack Kessel?

Furthermore, i believe Carlyle when he said he put Kessel on to prove that he didn't want a crapstorm to ensue.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Scotty Bowman just said on a radio interview that what Carlyle did putting out a skill line to defuse a situation was exactly what he always did when he coached the Montreal Canadiens.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If Scott wanted to fight with someone he should have picked another player and if the instigator rule, was still in effect, he would have been taken off long before that and would be facing a "Disciplinary Hearing"

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
http://nesn.com/2013/09/john-scott-claims-phil-kessel-agreed-to-fight-says-he-didnt-target-toronto-star/

I found this hilarious that Scott is stirring up shenanigans claiming that Kessel agreed to fight Scott, not to mention the fact that Scott & Kessel each have their own side of the story. Kessel in an interview yesterday stated that Scott told him "I'm gona drop you" while Scott is saying that he asked Kessel to fight.

:laugh: Oh my

bigsmall.jpg

It doesn't take a genius to figure out whose lying.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Scott says that he never sought out Kessel as a dancing partner, but that he “would have went after whoever [Toronto] put lined up next to [him],” reports the Buffalo News

Sounds like it doesn't matter who Carlyle put out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad