News Article: John Scott Claims Phil Kessel Agreed to Fight

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
LOL oh boy. gtfo sabers.. john scott trying to feel relevant for once in his life... what a joke

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
http://nesn.com/2013/09/john-scott-claims-phil-kessel-agreed-to-fight-says-he-didnt-target-toronto-star/

I found this hilarious that Scott is stirring up shenanigans claiming that Kessel agreed to fight Scott, not to mention the fact that Scott & Kessel each have their own side of the story. Kessel in an interview yesterday stated that Scott told him "I'm gona drop you" while Scott is saying that he asked Kessel to fight.

scott really does have **** for brains:laugh:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Well, at least it's better then what the Sabres have been making the papers before in the past..

Whining.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
:laugh:

Kessel's 6'0", 202lbs, and since 2006 has had 1 fight in his entire pro-hockey career (prior to last night's game). That's 1 fight in 547 games.

Scott's 6'8", 270lbs, and since 2006 has had 62 fights in 361 games; or 1 fight every 6 games or so.

I'm sure Kessel was totally down to drop them. :shakehead

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
1. Phil Kessel is more than half a foot shorter than Scott, and is an actual hockey player. Both of these make it seem unlikely he'd agree.
2. Kessel's actions are not consistent with a man who just agreed to "drop em."
3. The only person who stands to gain from this version of events is John Scott himself.

Plenty of reasons to doubt this.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
This reminds me of:

"Are you an expert?"
"I watched the video"
"So you're saying you're an expert?"

:laugh: Forget who it was, but this just seems like something John Scott would say.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
By Scott's own account, he didn't ask Kessel. He TOLD him that he was going to go after him. He obviously trying to do some damage control by making it seem like Kessel was a willing combatant. Even if Kessel did say 'let's do this', you don't need many brain cells to figure out that Kessel isn't a fighter and won't want to fight Scott.

When you tell a guy that you're going to go after him, his rebuttal is pretty much irrelevant because you've already established that they have no choice in the matter.

Mar 26, 2010
Lmao, Scott is even stupider than he looks.

What a tool....

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
This reminds me of:

"Are you an expert?"
"I watched the video"
"So you're saying you're an expert?"

:laugh: Forget who it was, but this just seems like something John Scott would say.

Andy Sutton, and yeah Scott has proven himself to be a bigger douchenozzle with all this. Colton or Frazer need to tune him up in November.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
he lied
or Kess lied

Kessel said that John threatened "he was going to drop him"
but Scott goes on saying Kessel wanted to fight or some ****

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
:laugh:

Kessel's 6'0", 202lbs, and since 2006 has had 1 fight in his entire pro-hockey career (prior to last night's game). That's 1 fight in 547 games.

Scott's 6'8", 270lbs, and since 2006 has had 62 fights in 361 games; or 1 fight every 6 games or so.

I'm sure Kessel was totally down to drop them. :shakehead
The source is Devane vs Tropp.

This was the trigger.
When Tropp fell and got KO off, then the rest followed.

At that point, having Kessel in frot of him a showed that Carlyle was ready to offer him as a target.
He could have bring anyone on the ice he had last pick.

So basically, after hurting a Sabre's player, you bring Kessel to taunt Scott.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The source is Devane vs Tropp.

This was the trigger.
When Tropp fell and got KO off, then the rest followed.

At that point, having Kessel in frot of him a showed that Carlyle was ready to offer him as a target.
He could have bring anyone on the ice he had last pick.

So basically, after hurting a Sabre's player, you bring Kessel to taunt Scott.
The Sabre player Tropp wanted to fight and he took on one of our Rookies and was doing ok until he took a left and hit his head on the ice.

Then Scott lines up against Kessel and told him he was going to jump him and then attempted to do so before the puck was dropped.....he will be getting some games....and the idiot coach is Roultson as he sent out his pet monkey.....

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
The Sabre player Tropp wanted to fight and he took on one of our Rookies and was doing ok until he took a left and hit his head on the ice.

Then Scott lines up against Kessel and told him he was going to jump him and then attempted to do so before the puck was dropped.....he will be getting some games....and the idiot coach is Roultson as he sent out his pet monkey.....
I agree with the first sentence (but I would like to hear Buf perspective on this).

I agree with the statement in bold.
We do not know what Kessel said.

I also agree that the coach who sent him in front of Scott was an AO.
He had the choice and sending Kessel was arrogant.

But we don't know the rest: Kessel could have provoked Scott assuming that he would never go after him.

Scott is sent on the ice after an incident (qualify it anyway you want).
He was already pumped up with this.

Kessel is sent in front of him and does engage with him verbally.
Enough to entice a reaction we have never seen from Scott.

Scott is 30 years old. Had only 7 fights last season.
Only engaged with top fighters (I can not use heavyweights at this point).
All of a sudden, he does change his behavior?
What Kessel told him?

Why the best fighter in the league would go after a top-6 player for the first time in his life?

I wished we would have the audio on this.
Can not Blame Kessel for the first high sticking.

But the last one, when he speared Scott while he was held by Clarkson and the referee was worth 5 games.:shakehead

He recovered his gloves and stick and went back to provoke Scott as he was dealing with Clarkson.

Kessel was in my pool but this incident prompted me to remove him for now. I will wait till he completes his time off the ice.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
If Kessel wanted to fight why he did not drop the gloves until way later to fight Flynn? Only one who dropped gloves was Scott and he immediately processed to attack Kessel. What Scott is thinking? That people around the league and fans are as stupid as he apparently is?

We suppose to believe that Kessel wanted to get concussed in his contract year no less if this gorilla landed even one punch? Wow! :facepalm:

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
well maybe kessel was joking when he said that... who knows.. if u watch the replay, kessel kinda grab or poke at scott first and then he went nuts.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think the league will understand that kessel, who happens to be a non-gritty player who never fights and has no history of these kind of incidents or any history at all of agitating other players, DID NOT want any part of fighting a huge goon..

I'll be really surprised if he gets 1 game..

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
John Scott is lucky he didn't get a stick to the chops Marty McSorely style. That's what I would have done if I was in Kessel's shoes.

Here's to hoping one of McLaren/Orr rearrange his face next time we meet. That or just grab Vanek and start punching. After that BS the other night anyone is fair game IMO.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Even if Kessel said "Let's do it", I'm pretty sure "it" was "You come after me, and I'm gonna whack the **** out of your knees with my stick".

Seriously, Scott is either dumb as ****, or thinks we're dumb as ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad