John-Michael Liles, Compliance Buyout?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Liles is very tradeable. no need to buy himout in the least.

contour

Mar 31, 2011
I don't see what's wrong with him. The fans complain even when there's nothing wrong...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
people don't understand the value of puckmoving defensemen.

just look at the free agent contracts guys like Wideman and Carle got this offseason.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
He has been inconsistent but still has solid trade value. IM not sure if Leafs would consider draft picks for him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I say re-evaluate him at the end of the year. If he ups his value by playing well, and then we can either consider keeping him or trading him (depending on what else is going on in the organization. Not that I think it's likely, but as an example if Gardiner gets traded for ROR, then we probably want to keep Liles around). If Phaneuf sounds like he wants to stay longterm, we still have Gardiner, and then Riellys expected to push next year? Then we should trade him.

If he plays poorly for the year? Then gotta make a decision. Compliance buy-out? Maybe a better option would be to eat ~1-1.5M of his salary and then trade him, that way we get assets out of it? It would cost the owners less in actual money, would only eat up ~1-1.5M of the cap over three years (not a huge deal), and would get us a return.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Say the Leafs really need to move Liles after this season. A buy-out would cost them 7.5 million and save them 11.625 million in cap space.

If, on the other hand they sent 2.25 million in cash out in a trade, someone would be acquiring Liles for 3 years, 9 million dollars and the cap hit would also disappear (for the Leafs I mean).

I think it's a safe assumption that the Leafs could give Liles away on a 3/9 deal under almost any circumstances, so a buy-out is totally unnecessary. For less than a third the cost in money you can move him and likely get some kind of small value back even, and that's in the worst case scenario.

Frankly, I think he's worth more than all this, meaning you could move him without spending cash and still get a marginal prospect/pick for him, but I could be wrong. I just don't think I'm wrong enough to warrant spending 7.5m to be free of him.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
No need to buy him out, you can get a 2nd for him.

Our defense in general tends to be....

Phaneuf + what ever defensive guy is hot right now (Holzer, Gunnarsson, Kostka)
Franson + what ever puck mover is hot right now (Liles, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Kostka)
Fraser + who ever has been playing well (Liles, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Kostka, Holzer)

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I don't see what's wrong with him. The fans complain even when there's nothing wrong...
It's stupidity and not watching the games, has to be. Those are the only reasons to try to understand some of these asinine opinions in this thread. The guy is a solid dman with lots of experience. He's got more hits and almost as many blocks as Kostka IIRC, but is inifinitely better with the puck. Do posters think Kostka is small and soft? Likely not, but because Liles is 5"10, oh, he's automatically soft and a *****. He's not anywhere near the soft as butter yet bigger Kaberle was.

Last edited:

Whydidijoin*

This is ridiculous.

1. Liles has not been bad this year.
2. Liles has not been utilized to his full potential this year.
3. Liles is not "over the hill" just because he is not 20.
4. Liles is on a discount contract.
5. His contract is not in any way shape or form a retirement contract.
6. Liles provides valuable leadership that none of you see. Everybody on our team can't be 19.
7. There is a trade market for Liles, so if we were to get rid of him, that is how we would do it.
8. Even if there wasn't a trade market for Liles, there is absolutely no way we would buy him out, compliance or not.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's stupidity and not watching the games, has to be. Those are the only reasons to try to understand some of these asinine opinions in this thread. The guy is a solid dman with lots of experience. He's got more hits and almost as many blocks as Kostka IIRC, but is inifinitely better with the puck. Do posters think Kostka is small and soft? Likely not, but because Liles is 5"10, oh, he's automatically soft and a *****. He's not anywhere near the soft as butter yet bigger Kaberle was.

The benchmark you're using to evaluate Liles is an AHL fantasy camp call up?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

When was a $4,250,000 a year cap hit a discount contract?

What the hell is Liles good at anyway? He guy doesn't even bring up the puck or distribute it as well as Tomas Kaberle on the PP.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

What the hell is Liles good at anyway? He guy doesn't even bring up the puck or distribute it as well as Tomas Kaberle on the PP.

It's 3.875 per year.

He makes less than Kaberle, Wideman, Ehrhoff and almost the same as what Quincy makes.

He actually shoots and moves the puck quickly on the powerplay unlike Kaberle who made our powerplay terrible by holding onto it and never shooting. Kaberle still managed to get his numbers on the powerplay but the powerplay sucked because he was a part of it.

Liles also has a far higher compete level then Kaberle.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Yeah I've always liked Liles, hes easily our best PP Dman, hes defensively responsible, and hes a great leader for our younger defenseman. My only complaint is his size, as he has a tough time against the bigger forwards.

TBH I could name a quite a few players I would rather seen gone over Liles.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Komaserik has 1 year left @ 4.5 cap hit (actually money given is 3 million as his contract was top heavy)

Liles has 3 more years @ 3.875.

Thats why Id look at Liles. Longer term.

Komisarek makes 3 million next year but his cap hit is 4.5million as that was his average for the five years. Maybe a team trying to get to the bottom floor of the cap will look at him. His cap vs real money given....is good for teams that struggle to make money and have to reach the Cap Floor. His cement skates present another problem though.

God I shudder every time I think of how they're paying Komisarek 4.5M/year to sit in the press box.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
This is ridiculous.

1. Liles has not been bad this year.
2. Liles has not been utilized to his full potential this year.
3. Liles is not "over the hill" just because he is not 20.
5. His contract is not in any way shape or form a retirement contract.
6. Liles provides valuable leadership that none of you see. Everybody on our team can't be 19.
7. There is a trade market for Liles, so if we were to get rid of him, that is how we would do it.
8. Even if there wasn't a trade market for Liles, there is absolutely no way we would buy him out, compliance or not.

Your right, we have even worse contracts to rid ourselves on. :help:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
God I shudder every time I think of how they're paying Komisarek 4.5M/year to sit in the press box.

That isn't even the worse contract as Connolly making nearly $5 mil to play in the AHL as the leagues highest paid player is still worse than Komisarek.

Liles is lucky that after the bad contract of Armstrong that was already bought out this season, and Komisarek and Connolly contributing even less that his compliance buyout possibility is not at the top of Nonis to do list at present.

Hopefully Nonis can find a way to trade him away as we can replace him internally with Gardner and Morgan Rielly in the future.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Is this forum full of complete idiots? I barely make posts, but it's threads like this that make me want to face palm.

Liles is easily one of our best defenseman. It's guys like Kostka who need to disappear from the PP and not get idk.... 25 mins a game? I don't blame Liles at all, put him on the PP with phaneuf like Ron Wilson did and you'll get results.

Whydidijoin*

His cap hit is 3.875 million. Shows your grasp on the situation. And if you would look at the current PMD market, that is a discount. He essentially confessed he signed at a discount to play with the Leafs as well.

And Liles is good at many things. People on this board just have a love affair with huge players (regardless of their skill) because of our Boston games last year.

He made our PP elite last year before his concussion. A great passer, and solid defensively. Can rush the puck (though he has not been used to his potential in that regard this year, it seems Carlyle likes the forwards doing that).

Also has a nice wrist shot that he can utilize at high speed, and hand-eye coordination to receive passes well, which makes him deadly dropping down on the PP. I won't get into a debate over whether he is better than Kaberle on the powerplay, because it is irrelevant. That Kaberle doesn't exist anymore, and the worse current version holds a higher cap hit, despite being signed under a lower cap.

birddog*

Nothing wrong but it's expected Gardiner and Reilly will fill his spot. He's a logical candidate to be traded. Just like McArthur is when Frattin and Lupul return.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Nothing wrong but it's expected Gardiner and Reilly will fill his spot. He's a logical candidate to be traded. Just like McArthur is when Frattin and Lupul return.

Maybe we should wait until Rielly plays a game before we start compliance buying out people to make room for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad