John-Michael Liles, Compliance Buyout?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
This is a joke right? If Carlyle knew how to run an effective powerplay he'd pair Liles back with Neuf and have Gunnar and Franson on the second unit (when Gunnar recovers of course) Liles will only be expendable when both Gardiner and Rielly are ready to over-take his position.

Well said.

Also, nice avatar. :laugh:

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
This is absolute idiocracy.

If we buy him out who do we bring in? Our remaining D core would be: Phaneuf, Gardiner, Komisarek, Franson, Gunnarsson, Fraser, Kostka. Out of that group only Phaneuf, Gardiner and Gunnar are able to handle 20+ minutes a game.

Liles has probably been our best two-way defenceman this year (not saying much but its true). He moves the puck well, is strong on his feet, and along with Gunnar is the only guy who isnt prone to fumbling the puck in the d-zone

Are you kidding me? Best 2 way dman? He is weak along the boards, he's weak on the puck, he's weak on the body. Yesterday his lack of hustle on icing plays (taking the most stupidest of routes to the puck) led to 2 grade A scoring chances, one of which was converted on for the 1st Canes goal. Granted, our defense is bad but to have this guy on the team for 3 or 4 more seasons is absolutely stupid. If he's not the 4th forward in on the rush, he's pretty much useless on this team or any team for that matter.

Secondly, his attitude is piss poor. This is a guy who is a supposed veteran and leader on this team but if you've watched his interviews, he shows absolutely 0 confidence in this team. If anything, getting rid of him would be addition by subtraction. We can replace him with Jake and give Holzer a full time roll as a shutdown man. If not that, then we try and sign a quality and CAPABLE veteran dman, preferably a stay at home guy who can pair up with Phaneuf on the top pairing.

Phaneuf - Shutdown Dman
Gunnar - Franson
Gards - Holzer

That top 6 gives us a great mix of size, speed, pmd and 2 way guys. Liles does absolutely nothing for this team when he's not contributing offensively. If his offense goes completely dry than he's no better than Brett LeBAD.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
If Nonis really wanted to get rid of Liles which I doubt, he could EASILY get a pick for him.

Why the heck would we waste a compliance buyout on that?

Lancilcrantz

Nov 13, 2011
This is literally the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

1) If anything, Nonis could move Liles for a pick. Guaranteed.

2) Our defense has enough problems moving the puck NOW. Getting rid of him would only exacerbate the issue. I love watching everyone on here scream at Carlyle for not playing Liles and Franson on the pp then simultaneously **** the bed because Liles doesn't make large, obvious hits like they all feel defensemen should.

3) Attitude? The guy is huge in the community, gives a solid interview, and is one of the few guys that has a bit of a personality.

On top of all of this is the fact that I don't even think he's been bad this year. To be honest, I think he's been one of our better defensemen. People rag on him for not being good in his own zone (which he is) then simultaneously want to play Franson all the time, who is absolutely awful when it comes to defensive coverage (and he's massive). Watch the games. Sweet god, watch the games.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
This is literally the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

1) If anything, Nonis could move Liles for a pick. Guaranteed.

2) Our defense has enough problems moving the puck NOW. Getting rid of him would only exacerbate the issue. I love watching everyone on here scream at Carlyle for not playing Liles and Franson on the pp then simultaneously **** the bed because Liles doesn't make large, obvious hits like they all feel defensemen should.

3) Attitude? The guy is huge in the community, gives a solid interview, and is one of the few guys that has a bit of a personality.

On top of all of this is the fact that I don't even think he's been bad this year. To be honest, I think he's been one of our better defensemen. People rag on him for not being good in his own zone (which he is) then simultaneously want to play Franson all the time, who is absolutely awful when it comes to defensive coverage (and he's massive). Watch the games. Sweet god, watch the games.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. I agree on all counts, sir.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I could think of about half a dozen guys on that roster that I'd rather want OFF of it before Liles.

Liles isn't apart of the problem.

He's also great in the room.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I could think of about half a dozen guys on that roster that I'd rather want OFF of it before Liles.

Liles isn't apart of the problem.

He's also great in the room.

Great post. He's fine. He just isn't being used the right way. Eventually the feel good stories (Kostka, Fraser, Holzer) will tail off and the veteran guys like Liles, Komi (He's been good in limited action this year) will be back where they should be.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was a bad deal the moment Burke made it, he has been a non factor here. Tough trading that salary, and burned a 2nd rounder to get him. :shakehead

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I have read this thread: People wonder why nobody of value wants to sign with the Leafs. With the way the Leaf fans belittle their own players, good solid players at that, if you were Brad Richards or Corey Perry would you sign here? I would rather play for the Sens.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Liles is more valuable than a buyout.

Maybe in the off-season of 2014, when some young players could push him out but I think he's definitely got value.

No way he gets bought out. No. Way.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Liles has been fine this year. He is a good leader/mentor for our puck moving defensemen. Having said that, why wouldn't we just trade him instead of buying him out? At least explore that option before you buy him out. Recoup at least a 2nd round pick. He has value and seems like the type of player a lot of teams would jump for. A second pairing puck mover.

DaveT83*

I like Liles - I think he's one of our safest D-men. Great mobility - makes smart decisions with the puck.

Buying him out would be silly - I'm sure there's a ton of teams that would be interested in his services in the event you had to make room for ??? - But seeing that Holzer/Costco/Fraser/Komi/Franson are all lower then him on the depth charts I don't see that happening any time soon.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
I dont know what everyone is talking about, he has been far from our worst and far from bad in any sense. I have never finished a game thinking "oh boy Liles really screwed up" . on the other hand many of the other D im saying that a lot. If Liles is your biggest worry I'm sorry to say but you dont know hockey....:help:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't they have to wait until summer for the buyout?

ForSpareParts*

Liles is killing us.

Why on earth did BB offer him that contract!?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Komisarek will be bought out before Liles. He's been better this year but still spends half the games in the press box and at $4.5 won't be kept around for one more season if he can be bought out for no cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad