John-Michael Liles, Compliance Buyout?

leafspring*

No idea why people think he's a hindrance or he's been bad.

He's a solid top 4 defenseman on a really fair contract. Plus, he's been great in the community and seems like a great locker room presence.

I just wish he'd get more PP time, especially over Kostka. It's mind boggling.

Liles had no problem putting up points while quaterbacking the PP in Colorado,and it is mind boggling. He should be on the first pp unit end of story.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
IF Lillis stands between me and a big UFA sign, welp, boom goes the dynamite.:naughty:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Im not a huge Liles fan, as im more of a Rielly Gardiner guy... But i have to say Liles has been good in his own end this year and is allways making smart plays with the puck, trading him would be a mistake until Riellys ready to go.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Liles needs to go, especially with Gardiner on his way back soon.

Mar 26, 2010
Agree. Him and grabo are very expendable now with the emergence of many guys.

Grabo's contract will be very difficult to move.

If Phaneuf wants over 4M/year then deal him too. At 6.5M he is WAY overpaid. 3.5-4M tops for him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Liles is done here. I agree with that move. No upside, No toughness, Overpaid.

1. Liles is 30, there isn't supposed to be upside anymore, he reached his potential 3 or 4 years ago. He is a fine player

2. Not every player needs to be tough... heck, why don't we trade Phil Kessel for George Parros... Kessel isn't tough at all

3. His contract is fine. Not overpaid at all. When it was signed, 95% of the people on here thought it was under value or right on target.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
1. Liles is 30, there isn't supposed to be upside anymore, he reached his potential 3 or 4 years ago. He is a fine player

2. Not every player needs to be tough... heck, why don't we trade Phil Kessel for George Parros... Kessel isn't tough at all

3. His contract is fine. Not overpaid at all. When it was signed, 95% of the people on here thought it was under value or right on target.

1. Liles is terrible and not going to get better.
2. Kessel has a top 5 shot in the league. Defenseman need to be tougher than wingers.
3. His contract is horrible, 3 guys(Holzer,Fraser, Kostka) making under 600,000 on this team outplay him. Add the 3 contracts together(1.775) and your not even at half of Liles contract. Face it, its a horrible business move to keep him around after what I just mentioned about his contract.

hockeyfanz*

JML is just another Brian Burke mistake...what an awful signing...I think the Leafs have a better chance of dumping Komisarek whose contract only has 1 year remaining.

hockeyfanz*

Grabo's contract will be very difficult to move.

If Phaneuf wants over 4M/year then deal him too. At 6.5M he is WAY overpaid. 3.5-4M tops for him.

I agree on both counts. I wouldn't pay Dion what he makes now..no way. I'd be looking to deal him as a rental player if he asks for as much or more. Id offer as high as 5M....not a penny more.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I agree on both counts. I wouldn't pay Dion what he makes now..no way. I'd be looking to deal him as a rental player if he asks for as much or more. Id offer as high as 5M....not a penny more.

Me too. He's in no way shape or form captain material, he is a complete stiff defensively, and his decision making overall is pretty dumb. It's actually getting downright embarrassing watching this guy screw up coverage night in and out for one of the highest paychecks in the NHL.

hockeyfanz*

Liles, Komisarek, Connolly, Steckel all have to go!

Laughing right now at all the Steckel lovers...wont see the ice with Carlyle coaching IMO....What do you need him for when Bozak wins close to 60% of faceoffs and can actually skate.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1. Liles is terrible and not going to get better.
2. Kessel has a top 5 shot in the league. Defenseman need to be tougher than wingers.
3. His contract is horrible, 3 guys(Holzer,Fraser, Kostka) making under 600,000 on this team outplay him. Add the 3 contracts together(1.775) and your not even at half of Liles contract. Face it, its a horrible business move to keep him around after what I just mentioned about his contract.

Matt Frattin has a better shot then Phil Kessel this year... and at less then a million!

It would be a horrible business move to keep him around after what I just mentioned about his contract

Liles is not horrible, he is arguably our most consistent d-man.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Laughing right now at all the Steckel lovers...wont see the ice with Carlyle coaching IMO....What do you need him for when Bozak wins close to 60% of faceoffs and can actually skate.

Long list?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Matt Frattin S% = 38.9

Phil Kessel S% = 4.5

Matt Frattin Goals = 7

Phil Kessel Goals = 3

I dont think any of Frattins goals have been snipes like Kessels.

Not that he isn't capable of that or anything because we've seen his shot and how good it is.

Just hasn't happened this year..not a bad thing either with 7 goals in 10 games

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I dont think any of Frattins goals have been snipes like Kessels.

Not that he isn't capable of that or anything because we've seen his shot and how good it is.

Just hasn't happened this year..not a bad thing either with 7 goals in 10 games

Doesn't matter if they are snipes or not. This season Matt Frattin has a better shot then Phil Kessel. Stats don't lie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doesn't matter if they are snipes or not. This season Matt Frattin has a better shot then Phil Kessel. Stats don't lie.

The phrase you're looking for is Shooting Percentage. Frattin has a great shot, not at Kessel's level yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad