John-Michael Liles, Compliance Buyout?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Ridiculous.

Liles has been a good player for us sans the period immediately after coming back from a concussion.

If Rielly makes the team next year I could see Liles getting moved, but he's not the problem on our defence right now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Liles is not as bad as some fans think. Yes, he's still not as good as he was prior to his concussion, but, to buy him out, at this point, is a little premature.

Liles would probably fetch a 2nd round pick or secondary prospect from a team needing a mobile defense man.

No need to buy him out when you could instead trade him.

Maximan89

Sep 3, 2012
Lmao, coming into last season Liles could've been consider our second best defencemen. His cap is exactly what it should be, perhaps slightly lower than it should be even. Granted his size affects his dominance at times but overall his play is pretty consistent. Him being bought out would literally never happen.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not even worth considering. I know it's a small sample size but he's on pace for 36 points and he's not even on the first powerplay unit because of the offensive powerhouse that is Mike Kostka.

Liles is what he is. He's an offensive minded d-man who can skate. I think he's looked quite solid this year.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I think he is a candidate but it probably won't happen in the upcoming off-season. His play is still good enough that he could be moved but right now, Leafs need defense. The off-season following the upcoming off-season is a real possibility as Leafs probably won't have a need for Liles with Gardiner and Reilly likely being ready to take over his role.

A lot can happen in that time frame. If he gets back to the pre-conclusion level, then he won't be bought out but could make for a good trade chip.

It was a dumb idea to give him an extension anyways. They should have let him prove himself after the concussion to see if he was truly worth it.

Stevie28

Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Liles is playing fine. hardly ever makes mistakes and joins the rush accordingly, not much more you can ask for. also plays physical.

Prototype

Nov 7, 2011
If Liles can fetch a 2nd rounder, we should be able to get a 1st for Kostas.. right? :sarcasm:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
This was a bad deal the moment Burke made it, he has been a non factor here. Tough trading that salary, and burned a 2nd rounder to get him. :shakehead

And do you know exactly how many 2nd round picks become top 4 d in the NHL? :shakehead Odd, Avalanche fans were chirping at only getting a 2nd in return for JM, what do they know afterall. Liles has been an excellent aquisition, is a top 4 D, and many teams would like to have a puck moving D.He is not hard to move one bit, especially considering cap can be spread between teams. This Liles bashing is boderline insane. To suggest a 2nd round pick holds more value is not logical.

THHT

Oct 29, 2009
I've had no problem with Liles. One of the few guys on this team that can move the puck intelligently.

I really wonder how observations between people can differ so much from game to game. I guarantee if Liles (or any player) had a recording of every shift that he plays, organized by game, we'd still have differing opinions of what he did or did not do.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Gardiner should replace Liles when he is showing he is ready. Trade him if possible. I dont want to watch Liles and his 3.8 million for another full 3 seasons. Bad contract. Given after recent concussion.

Lilies provides little to nothing for this team. Liles does not play tough and his lack of size and timid play is a liability in a big way. He cant deal with pressure from big teams NYR, BOS, PHI, when they are healthy. Fraser and his league leading +11 must stay.

Holzer after a shaky first game, has done really well. I like the potential with him. I think sending Holzer down at this point is a mistake and a step backward. Trade Liles ASAP. We dont need him and have bigger guys who play tough.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
His first couple of games he was flying and looking great.

I don't think he's terrible at all, but he's not really doing what we brought him here to do right now.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liles buyout before Komi? Don't see it happening.

Komaserik has 1 year left @ 4.5 cap hit (actually money given is 3 million as his contract was top heavy)

Liles has 3 more years @ 3.875.

Thats why Id look at Liles. Longer term.

Komisarek makes 3 million next year but his cap hit is 4.5million as that was his average for the five years. Maybe a team trying to get to the bottom floor of the cap will look at him. His cap vs real money given....is good for teams that struggle to make money and have to reach the Cap Floor. His cement skates present another problem though.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Liles was a better fit under a Wilson free style game.

He isn`t overpaid for what he brings to the table. Number 4 dmen go for between 3 and 4 million with players having offensive upside closer to 4 or even a bit more. With Dion moving to the left side as well as having Gunnarson, Gardiner as best suited to the left side both capable of playing 20 minutes Liles is quickly becoming expendable.

Then mix in Rielly and Ranger are also lefties and we have a crowded left side.

If Gunnarson and Gardiner both regain their health (which they should) in the next month I could see Liles traded.

I actually think Liles is who Edmonton was most likely scouting.

Cap space is going to be king this off-season with a decreasing cap and shedding a big salary like Liles would open up so many options.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If/when the time comes I think Liles can be traded but I don't think there is an arguement for keeping Kostka up ahead of him. MK is actually better than I expected but his AHL offensive skills haven't translated. He needs to hit a little more and go deep a little less and he needs to learn this in the AHL, not with the Leafs, and maybe he could become a 6-7 guy. I don't think it benefits him to be used as a top four guy in the NHL. Sent him down and bring Gardiner up!

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Liles is one of our only few mobile defenseman who can carry the puck out of our zone, into the neutral zone and dump the puck in for our forwards to chase, or set up a pass. Keep him.

NIKO G

TWITTER: @NJG_ITA
Jul 17, 2009
If anyone is gonna be a Compliance Buyout it's definitely be Komisarek over Liles.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
If he's not putting up Erik Karlsson type numbers people think he sucks. What a shocker with what board we're in. Liles isn't lighting it up by any means but he hasn't been bad. Kostka on the PP is the real problem he doesn't have that offensive spark that Liles brings .

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If he's not putting up Erik Karlsson type numbers people think he sucks. What a shocker with what board we're in. Liles isn't lighting it up by any means but he hasn't been bad. Kostka on the PP is the real problem he doesn't have that offensive spark that Liles brings .

Post concussion about 1 year ago. Ive seen no PP asset from Liles. He has been given 2nd unit pp time and is not effective at all. He doesnt bring much to this team right now at all. Remember he looked good when we traded for him and were in 25th place with the worst D core and worst system(Wilson). We play better D now, Liles is out of place in many regards now. Yes he can skate but not much else. He doesnt even be able to skate himself out of trouble anymore. He seems timid.

MrLegend28*

there needs to be a post amount requirement before making threads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad