Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Honestly, the more I think about this the more I'm beginning to like it. Hynes is just 44 and he did great in the AHL, while his stint with NJ wasn't the best he still made the playoffs once and now has experience at this level. I think he's definitely still capable of growing as a coach.

Either way we're preds fans and should welcome him to the organization. Go Preds!

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm more concerned with what this means moving forward. Especially with the comments Poile made about "being open for business."

Who is he going to look to move while also strengthening the roster? I can't see Poile just saying ahh well we're not gonna make it this year, let's blow it up. We're still too competitive of a roster to tank and clearly we're not good enough to win the cup/make the playoffs, but right on the fringe.

We just signed Duchene (who for the poster above, I don't think has been lazy - he's one of the few that can handle the puck at all right now) and I just wonder what this means moving forward. I don't have a particularly good feel for the direction of this team right now...

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Will be interesting to see what happens in the offseason with all the assistants. Seems like most of Hynes assistant staff is still in NJ on an interim basis and I doubt they get hired full time so wouldn't be surprised if he brings them in.

On a not about Lavi's future I could see NJ as a potential landing spot next season. Would be funny to have essentially a coach trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There aren't any contract details but I think good or bad we're stuck with Hynes for at least next year if not the next three or so. If not I think he'd probably have the interim tag.
Yes, I would read this as a long-term plan. If the team implodes further this season, it's because it was too late to turn things around and implement anything new, so Hynes will be bullet-proof through the end of this one. He'll have to really mess things up next season to get Poile to make a change so soon. Our team is not performing well - but has enough talent that as we've seen it's not easy to mess up TOO badly with this roster. I think we can all get used to the idea that Hynes is gonna be here for a fairly long time.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland

Nepotism league at its finest

Idk how anyone could expect anything good as a baseline from a guy who lead -hyperbole- a historically bad NJ team to a horrible record on his tenure there.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
How is this any different than any other business in the whole world? Sometimes it sucks but networking and having personal relationships with people is key to getting a job in any field.
Because he has done exactly squat to earn a second chance on any kind of team?
Why would Poile ever give chance to a guy who was regarded as the worst coach who sat out deserving players night in night out otherwise?

We're forced to be on this ride now. There are many red flags.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Hey Preds peeps

Understand that Lavi wasn't getting the job done anymore for Preds but Lavi had a team in place; sure, there are weaknesses but overall, Preds are a solid-on-paper team; no way they should be sitting where they are

I watched the Devs pretty close for a couple of years (Boyle years). What I saw last year was:

1. no Hall (hurt)
2. no solid #1 goalie (Schneids hurt then confidence shot; Kinky should NOT be a #1 anywhere, ever; backup is good)
3. no D
4. no grit

Shero tried to shore up the D and "grit" with Subban (currently focused on emerald bling and PR, apparently) and Simmonds; but the goalie situation is horrific and Hall left so... yeah, the Devs on paper are about where they should be at - coach or not - bottom feeding

Give Hynes about 5 games before you decide. I'm hoping he does well; always liked him as a coach (and person)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Because he has done exactly squat to get a second chance on any kind of team?
Why would Poile else ever give chance to a guy who was regarded as the worst coach who sat out deserving players night in night out otherwise?

We're forced to be on this ride now. There are many red flags.

There are certainly red flags but that's true of any coach you hire. Otherwise they would already be employed.

Reactions: hido

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think now was a great time to fire Lavy in terms of the standings; either we improve under Hynes and grab a wildcard spot or better, or we flounder and bring up Taylor from Milwaukee next year.

Taylor treated Trenin like he was Salomaki last year despite clearly being a talented offensive player that should be utilized as such.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Nepotism would be hiring a son or nephew as head coach, not the former roommate and teammate of the assistant GM.
Yes, if you want to use favouritism or old boys club instead, go ahead.
It doesn't matter for the argument at all.

I find it funny that that's your reaction given his record as a coach though.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't know. Let's see what happens I guess. Personally, I'd rather have Housley come back next year and take an L on this year but... I guess the team thinks differently.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
His record as Preds coach is 0-0-0. There's plenty of time to question this hire in the future if it goes south, but for now there's no sense in being anything less than cautiously optimistic.
Let's just f***ing hope that the buddy hire method from Poile works out.
This game of musical chairs is ridiculous.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know. Let's see what happens I guess. Personally, I'd rather have Housley come back next year and take an L on this year but... I guess the team thinks differently.

No way we throw this season away, we're only a few points out of a playoffs and getting hot in the 2nd half of the season and going into the playoffs while playing your best hockey in the season has been a recipe for success for us earlier as well and it was for the Blues last year.

And also, this move is as much of a coaching change as it is a wake-up call for the players and especially our leader group guys. We have an experienced group who should bring the effort and the steady level of play night in night out almost regardless of who the coach is. Obviously, the players have gotten too comfortable here and it was time for a wake-up call.

If this doesn't light a fire under their asses, I don't know what will. But I've seen them play with that fire and it was awesome.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
As for the "system", you can make this team a whole lot better by just fixing the special teams. No way with the personnel we have, should the special teams be that bad and with this change, I believe they will get better. Rinne and Saros need to be better as well.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yes, if you want to use favouritism or old boys club instead, go ahead.
It doesn't matter for the argument at all.

I find it funny that that's your reaction given his record as a coach though.

I only care about his record with the Preds from here moving forward. If past record were reason to hire a coach then Lavy would coach the Preds tonight.

Considering this is midseason it means that every coach working for another franchise requires that franchise's permission ... so that realistically leaves coaches unaffiliated with NHL teams (college, juniors, etc), coaches from within the organization (Taylor), or retreads. The hiring pool is relatively shallow for this type of job. Moan "favouritism or old boys club instead" all you want but there is a reality to this situation.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Devils fan with some observations on Hynes...he runs a very regressive system that is reliant on above average goaltending.

Yes, NJ hasn’t had the strongest of rosters during his tenure. However, he was there for 4+ seasons and never improved their five on five corsi numbers during his tenure. Even with a stream of talent like Taylor Hall and others coming in during that time. The team’s underlying numbers were actually better the season before than throughout most of Hynes’ tenure in NJ.

They did do a decent job of limiting higher danger chances in their own zone, but the trade off was giving up a greater percentage of shot and zone time overall. Now Nashville does have a better defense core so maybe that motivates against that.

I’m not biggest fan as I prefer teams that try to hold possession in the other team’s zone and that is not Hynes, which is more of a transitional attack. When you have below average goaltending it is better to keep the pick 200 feet from your net

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Anyone supporting this hire is just wrong.

Hynes had five seasons with the devils.

2015-2016 84 points, 7th in division
2016-2017 70 points, 8th in division
2017-2018 97 points, 5th in division
2018-2019 72 points, 8th in the division
2019-2020 22 points and fired as one of the worst teams in the NHL

Poile f***ed this up by not firing laviolette in the summer. Now we get a coach by 85% of reactions around the league is below average. it's hard to find a devils fan that says much positive. the devils had zero success with this guy for 5 years.

Poile needs to be fired next.

Reactions: goonybird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad