Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Let's be real here how many people actually watched enough Devils games over Hynes's tenure to truly evaluate him as a coach? My guess is most likely no one here has, so everyone is going off of reputation and what disgruntled Devils fans think. Maybe its foolish but I still trust our front office to make a good hire. Poile has hired two coaches here previously and both have been great hires. If it's a failure Poile is probably out the door anyway and we can restart from scratch.

Reactions: bdub24

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yep I agree with you guys. I don't know enough about any of the available names to know who they could have picked that would have had me high-fiving a nearby stranger.

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
5NyxdEf

Whatever I'm keeping it, that's how I feel right now like a broken image link

Reactions: bdub24

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
i hate this hire with every part of my being. Going to try to be positive and take the wait and see approach, but MY GODDDDDDD.

Does anyone else think Poile needs to hang it up?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'm gonna wait at least until the end of january to call it a terrible hiring. Our defensive zone play can't get much worse, right? And maybe we finally see some variation on the PP.

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
I too am gonna withhold judgement, but I will be curious to see what kind of reception this moves get tonight. It could get a little interesting.

Jul 12, 2007
wuuuuuutt ...........

Not very cool of Poile to play The Great Mysterio and do crap that can't be explained or understood. He's always been an odd duck.

Maybe a good way to get rid of the fan base.

Jul 12, 2007
We need a hardass to beat these fancy boys back into a motivated team. Hopefully this guy can do this, and Poile told him to.

I realize that Lavy is known as a guy who can go nuts and probably did a few times. But obviously they had tuned him out, and a new approach to it is needed. I wish Quinn was still with us here on earth, he was that kind of guy.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well...we shall see.

I wouldn't necessarily put a ton of stock into the lack of success with the Devils. They've consistently had one of the worst rosters in the league over the last several seasons. He actually even got them to the playoffs one season. He has a lot more talent to work with on this roster and some pretty clear areas to address: special teams, opening up the offense for our forwards, bringing any kind of structure to our D.

The "retread" comments are a bit odd. He's had one NHL coaching gig and one AHL job. He's as much a retread as Housley or Montgomery would be.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Makes sense. With them having to pay Lavy for next year as well and Hynes still being paid by the Devils this was also a smart move financially.

Not sold on Hynes, would've preferred Taylor from Milwaukee or DeBoer but let's give this guy a chance. Hopefully, he starts utilizing our team like it's built.

Pretty sure that's not the case. You only get paid by the team that fired you as long as you remain unemployed. If you take another coaching job the previous team is off the hook and I think that's pretty standard. I think this makes financial sense for NJD, not Nashville.

Lavy still will planned to be paid by Nashville if he sits out. I think Nashville now has to pay whatever they are giving Hynes AND Lavys contracted salary.

Njd can stop paying Hynes now

That's what was quoted in the media after Q was fired by Chicago and he sat on the sidelines collecting his top salary because anywhere else he went would have to convince to walk away from that salary by offering him that amount or more because he would lose it once he took a job

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm unexcited by this, to be sure, but I'm not going to declare doom until it actually happens. I still remember all too well being wrong about the Tortorella hire up here, and Berube did shockingly well in STL, so I'm willing to at least wait and see how/if this works. But I remain unexcited for now. :dunno:

At least it isn't Babcock (thank G-d).

Reactions: ThirdManIn

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Seriously?

Yes.
When they had Taylor hall it was decent.

Hischier, Hughes, hall, palmieri, gusev, Zacha, bratt, zajac,
Then in defense to have severson, vatanen, butcher and subban (who’s been bad given)

That’s not a last place team

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
On paper looks terrible, but I guess have no choice but to give him a shot.

The last two years have made it crystal clear that Poile will never win a cup. He s**** the bed when he comes to getting a team over the last hump.

That being said, it's not uncommon for a team to get a jolt with a new coach. We can only hope...

Would also be interested in the term.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Was there a press conference? Would love to see Poile squirm his way through the circumstances of the Laviolette firing. Would help get a read if it was ownership induced.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Hynes only NHL experience has been with NJ and it's not like they've had the same quality roster that we've had. I'll wait to see how it turns out, does anyone know if it's short term or long term yet?

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yes.
When they had Taylor hall it was decent.

Hischier, Hughes, hall, palmieri, gusev, Zacha, bratt, zajac,
Then in defense to have severson, vatanen, butcher and subban (who’s been bad given)

That’s not a last place team
You are really overrating the roster. Unproven and relatively undertalented forward group and not a lot of actual defense for the defensive group. At very best they compete for a WC2. More likely a 12-14 in conference team.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hopefully it's just till the end of the season and then can be extended from there if the team responds well. Either that or we've hired an excellent tank commander.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
As far as I can tell there is still no information on term? I'll be a bigger fan of this move if the rest of this year is basically a try out.

Picking a coach is like playing the lottery. I'm willing to give him a shot. History has shown us that a coach failing with one team does not mean he will fail with another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad