Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
if we only get 1 point out of 4 from Detroit then we are at rock bottom. Detroit has an awful roster.

yes... and they have for years.... but that hasn't stopped us from losing to them. Last time we beat them at home was Dec 30, 2013. I will honestly be shocked if we beat them. We were bad with Joey and Ekholm. We were worse without Joey. Now Ekholm is gone as well and the 2nd pairing is Tinordi and Fabbro....

Jul 12, 2007
I’m scared that Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, may just go off on us tonight.

Hey, those guys do have Bernier, Greiss, and Pickard. Maybe we can buy one of them during the game, between periods.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
One terribly uninspiring win over one of the few teams objectively worse than us, but still a win and I'll never complain about a win.

I dont think it will happen, but if we can go 7-3 on this 10 game stretch that started tonight, we could get back in the mix.

Crap.. this was supposed to go in Observations...

Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I brought this up in last night's GDT but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether we're speedy transition team, who can also forecheck with speed and aggression or whether we are trying to be a more physical team, that plays with lower-pace and tries to control the slots on both ends of the ice.

If it's the former, we're certainly not executing the game plan well enough right now. If it's the latter, we need bigger, skilled forwards (hard to find, I know) to play that style of hockey. The reason we're relatively easy to box out in the offensive zone is that we have a small forward group who have a tough time getting inside positions in the slots. That also applies to the defensive zone as well. If one thing a guy like Tinordi does well is box-out forwards, others need to take notes.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's one reason our defense has stunk too. Our Dcore was built to push the puck up the ice quickly and in turn that means less time in our own zone. They aren't the type of Dmen that can just sit back and play coverage hockey.

Everything should be about getting up and out quickly and getting in transition. Hynes has everyone playing so deep that when we transition out we are down in the dang slot which gives the other team a chance to recover.

On the offensive side we were built to throw lots of shots at the net and forecheck. It's the reason we were pretty decent 5vs5 with Lavi.

Jul 12, 2007
Was watching a Caps game and Ovi gets the puck darn near the center line, barely in “the slot”, facing his own goal, not really looking at the opponent’s goal.
Yet he still gets off a strong shot almost shooting backwards, rebound comes out to another Caps guy who feeds Ovi again cruising down the slot .... bang .... goal.
We used to do stuff like this under Lavi.
Apparently Hynes would never dream of allowing such things.
Nobody’s Ovechkin, but we do have 5-6 guys capable of doing stuff like this.
Teams that score goals play like this.

Last edited:

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I brought this up in last night's GDT but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether we're speedy transition team, who can also forecheck with speed and aggression or whether we are trying to be a more physical team, that plays with lower-pace and tries to control the slots on both ends of the ice.

If it's the former, we're certainly not executing the game plan well enough right now. If it's the latter, we need bigger, skilled forwards (hard to find, I know) to play that style of hockey. The reason we're relatively easy to box out in the offensive zone is that we have a small forward group who have a tough time getting inside positions in the slots. That also applies to the defensive zone as well. If one thing a guy like Tinordi does well is box-out forwards, others need to take notes.
I think we went out and added bulk and grit to push back on our physical opponents.... then the league scrambled the conferences....

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's one reason our defense has stunk too. Our Dcore was built to push the puck up the ice quickly and in turn that means less time in our own zone. They aren't the type of Dmen that can just sit back and play coverage hockey.

Everything should be about getting up and out quickly and getting in transition. Hynes has everyone playing so deep that when we transition out we are down in the dang slot which gives the other team a chance to recover.

On the offensive side we were built to throw lots of shots at the net and forecheck. It's the reason we were pretty decent 5vs5 with Lavi.

P1: I absolutely agree. Carrier is another push the puck up the ice type Dman. Allard is the stay at home guy that he has been paired with the last two seasons in Milwaukee. It has worked very well. Last year, they were the best pair in the WC of the AHL. (Carrier 5 NHL games, 0 pts, +3 24 years old, 5'11" 175#; Allard 0 NHL games, 23 years old, 6'1" and 190#.)

P2: When I played basketball, that was one of the things that we tried to do to the other team as part of our package of "making them play uphill" the entire game. It limits their offense and tires their players out during the game. Then we pressed after made baskets to slow them down and maybe steal the ball for another short run or shot to a score. Then we pressed again.

P3: Forechecking is the hockey equivalent of pressing in basketball.
Now the Preds get outshot. You can't have 2 or 3 SOG in a 20 minute period!
That is why Hynes has to go. Hynes has done worse than Lavi, who got fired.

Carrier is a better and quicker Dman than Tinordi. Carrier is much better on offense than Tinordi. Last season, Carrier was 4th in scoring for the Admirals. Novak was 3rd and Tolvanen was 5th.

If Carrier and/or Allard don't get called up next season, Poile should be fired for being blind to the fact they would have made a very good third pair for Nashville! Not that I have anything against this third pair. I hated the previous guys, Wrong Weber and I'm Irwin.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Boro, Benning, and Ekholm are all in the sweet spot contractually for a trade deadline sell off. Tinordi, Fabbro, Harper, Davies, Fortunato, Lewington, and Allard all need new contracts after this short season.

Personally, I think the up-tempo, forechecking game is a much better fit for our defensemen overall than a heavy, plodding, defensive shell.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At this point, it would shock me if Allard is back at all. He's on a bad team in a relatively weak league in Austria, and they were content to leave him there. What are the odds they offer him a new contract?

Fortunato does not seem to be in the plans at all either. Guys like Tinordi, Lewington, and Harpur are just minor league depth that get looks for their size, but whether it's them or equivalents that come in to replace them shouldn't really matter. None of them really should be on the big team, except in injury emergencies.

I would expect quite a different-looking Admirals team to the one fans last saw in Milwaukee.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Seriously, I'd assume Ekholm would be the only serious trade bait. Fabbro will get an offer—it would be astonishing otherwise. They might extend one to Tinordi, Davies, and/or Harpur, but Tinordi is a UFA so who knows with him. He might figure he has a better chance to play elsewhere. I'm actually sort of surprised they haven't given Davies a shake down lap in a game, given all his hype after the Subban trade. Then again, it's not like they seem eager to use a PMD.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't understand the Allard fall off. Did his development just stop? There was some hope he could turn into a steady NHLer at one point.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't understand the Allard fall off. Did his development just stop? There was some hope he could turn into a steady NHLer at one point.
Tough to say without watching him play regularly. The Ads posters generally seem to give him favorable reviews. But if you are just watching stats and peripheral circumstantial stuff (like me) it doesn't seem like he went anywhere in his AHL time. :dunno:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So I had to do a little research and I think I've done in the past about Poile's drafting history but this is horrendous to say the least.

As far as I can tell, these are the best forwards he's drafted in all his years as a GM. Peter Bondra, Jason Allison and Alexander Radulov.

There were others along the way that were good picks, guys like Legwand, Erat and a few others but these there were the best of the best that I could tell from all his years of drafting. I started following hockey in the late 70's so I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what a good forward is.

Bondra was a late-round gem. 8th round pick in 1990. Allison and Radulov were 17th and 15th overalls in their draft years.

That's it. No home runs. No sleepers. No HOF'ers. No potential HOF'ers. No elite forwards.

We question why we never have any great forwards and I can tell you why, it's Poile and his drafting. It's abysmal when it comes to drafting forwards.

1991 NHL draft. This is going to blow a lot of your minds. This was the year Lindros and Forsberg went 1st and 6th overall.

With the 14th overall pick, Washington selected Pat Peake, a Center from the US. With the next pick, the NY Rangers selected Alexei Kovalev from the Soviet Union and with the next pick, the Vancouver Canucks selected Markus Naslund. Wait, it gets better.

With the 18th pick the Bruins selected Glen Murray. With the 20th pick the Oilers selected Martin Rucinsky. With the 21st selection, Washington picked Trevor Halverson, a RW from Canada.

With the 23rd pick, San Jose landed Ray Whitney. With the 25th pick, Washington selected Eric Lavigne, a defenseman out of Canada. With the very next pick, the NY Islanders selected Ziggy Palffy.

With that said, how can you miss on three players and have that talent all around and just plain out miss. Kovalev and Naslund turned out to be pretty damn good players. Murray, Whitney and Palffy were all good snipers. Rucinsky wasn't amazing but he was a serviceable top 6 guy. I never heard of the 3 guys Poile selected around these guys.

Granted, these weren't as big a gaffe as SJ picking Pat Falloon number 2 overall and passing on this Scott Niedermayer kid.

People have often said guys come to Nashville and lose their offensive abilities. Maybe so but maybe it's also because we've had a GM who can't evaluate forward talent very well. Almost 40 years as a GM and the best forwards he's ever drafted are the three I listed above. All I've got is wow. I was a supporter of his for a long time but geez, I can't get past this.

And for those that will say Arvy was a mid-round pick, yeah, he's had a couple of good seasons but he's constantly injured and his best days are behind him IMO. Erat was a nice pickup in the later rounds but once again, not a show stopper. Not an elite forward.

The closest we've ever had to an elite player was Kariya and he was past that point in his career and I go back to my point of the ability to draft forwards. We've either had to trade for good to great forwards or sign them in free agency and even then, who's been dominant? Who's been the man? Filip has been as close to that as anyone I can think of and when I compare him with the players of his generation, he is not an elite player. He's a very good forward. He's not on another level though.

I'm tired, frustrated and cold. That is all for now. Enjoy the game this evening.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Poile has gotten a pass for a long time. He in hindsight should have been out before trotz (RIP NoNeck we miss you) but at the time it seemed like the right move. the phase of giving poile the benefit of the doubt is over. the fan base has turned on him like we did trotz at the end of his tenure. i hope that the buddy college roommate hire of hynes was worth it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

No real fall off with Fred. He is a stay at home Dman, which is something the Preds need. Carrier scores the goals, Fred gets assists. Fred stops the other team from scoring!
He has about one fight a season when the other guy starts it and he finishes it.
The Preds need all that very badly and they are just going to let him go for nothing.

I will repeat, FIRE POILE!

From Hockeydb.com

Frederic Allard
Defense
Born Dec 27 1997 -- St. Sauveur, PQ
Height 6.01 -- Weight 189 -- Shoots R
Selected by Nashville Predators round 3 #78 overall 2016 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013-14 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 61 4 19 23 26 3 0 1 1 2
2014-15 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 62 2 28 30 24 5 0 1 1 0
2015-16 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 64 14 45 59 34 6 1 2 3 0
2016-17 Chicoutimi Sagueneens QMJHL 63 14 51 65 42 17 4 10 14 14
2017-18 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 55 8 16 24 18 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Norfolk Admirals ECHL 3 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 65 4 25 29 44 5 1 1 2 2
2019-20 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 61 2 19 21 18
2020-21 VSV EC Austria 25 4 9 13 38

Reactions: Soundgarden

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's on Poile anyway to be proactive and admit his mistake on the coach. If he can't do that, it's on him. I've pretty much always defended Poile here. That's over if he doesn't act right now.

This x 1000. Between the coaching hire and signing way too many new players he really screwed the pooch. Hes got enough lifetime credibility to be forgiven IF he can see the error of his ways and fix it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad