Confirmed with Link: John Hynes to be named head coach

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Poile still had a chance to get a goal scorer in Hoffman but decided against it. So instead of getting a natural goal scorer he goes after 3rd line players to try and play in the top 6. Poile has to go along with his whole staff. Scouts and all. Because they don’t know how to scout a forward in the draft either.
Hoffman, like Hall, may have had no interest in signing with the Preds. That's not Poile's decision.

Still it is on him if these guys looked at what was left of our roster, talked to our coach, and said, "Pass. Next."

Reactions: Scoresberg

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Assumedly, Poile got rid of a large percentage of players to free up enough cap room to land Taylor Hall. And then Taylor Hall signed a one-year deal with Buffalo.

One seriously has to consider what Hynes role in all that was, because the results could not be more ugly at this point. Between porous defense, no offense, and retched special teams on a rotating basis, this team is playing the worst hockey in the Corona Central Division.
Hall says he likes Hynes and he’s nothing if not honest when he speaks. Can’t imagine why he would but I figured he’d go to Nashville until the Bruins cleared cap space by getting rid of Krug.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Hall says he likes Hynes and he’s nothing if not honest when he speaks. Can’t imagine why he would but I figured he’d go to Nashville until the Bruins cleared cap space by getting rid of Krug.
To clarify, I didn't mean Hall and Hynes can't work together.

What I'm wondering about is what Hynes pushed Poile for. Was it Poile's idea to gut the roster to go hot and heavy after Hall or was he talked into it? If in Poile's mind it was more the latter, Hynes may have walked the plank already. It could really just be a matter of time.

We already know that the "harder to play against" bill of goods that was sold has been a dumpster fire. The COVID, no preseason, no training camp line of excuses is running thinner and thinner. These coaches have been working with this group for a month now, and there has been more regression than improvement.

Jul 12, 2007
Poile has always been fixated on drafting D and G, and likes to go slumming for bargain bin F’s.
That’s really it, in a nutshell.
His last attempt to go big on a F was drafting Legwand. I guess he figured he would never try that again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hoffman, like Hall, may have had no interest in signing with the Preds. That's not Poile's decision.

Still it is on him if these guys looked at what was left of our roster, talked to our coach, and said, "Pass. Next."
I am very sure that Poile made competitive offers to both of them. He might have even offered Hall more than Buffalo did. I think he was probably pretty close to landing Hall, it just slipped away at the last minute when the Sabres owner swooped in and made a winning pitch. I think the word is just getting around that we're a graveyard for offense. Players don't want to come here and have their production drop through the floor, not when they are going to be seeking new long-term contracts.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I am very sure that Poile made competitive offers to both of them. He might have even offered Hall more than Buffalo did. I think he was probably pretty close to landing Hall, it just slipped away at the last minute when the Sabres owner swooped in and made a winning pitch. I think the word is just getting around that we're a graveyard for offense. Players don't want to come here and have their production drop through the floor, not when they are going to be seeking new long-term contracts.
Speaking of graveyard, Hall only has 1 goal and is 106th in points leaders at the moment. Nobody on the Sabres is even in the top 50 in points. I hope the Pegula pep talk was beyond amazing. lol

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Speaking of graveyard, Hall only has 1 goal and is 106th in points leaders at the moment. Nobody on the Sabres is even in the top 50 in points. I hope the Pegula pep talk was beyond amazing. lol

Sabres: They're going to be weighed down by the Skinner and Okposo contracts. Okposo 2.75 more years @ 6M. Skinner 6.75 more years @ 9M and a NMC. 1A between the two this season. That's 15M (18.4% of the cap) tied up in two boat anchors. As much as we complain about Duchene and Joey, atleast they are doing something and don't have a NMC so we don't have to protect in expansion.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
Sabres: They're going to be weighed down by the Skinner and Okposo contracts. Okposo 2.75 more years @ 6M. Skinner 6.75 more years @ 9M and a NMC. 1A between the two this season. That's 15M (18.4% of the cap) tied up in two boat anchors. As much as we complain about Duchene and Joey, atleast they are doing something and don't have a NMC so we don't have to protect in expansion.

Their contracts are literally a NMC imo. I doupt Seattle take one of them. Hope i am wrong, but i think Poile (if he is still our GM at this point) protect both.

Last edited:

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Poile still had a chance to get a goal scorer in Hoffman but decided against it. So instead of getting a natural goal scorer he goes after 3rd line players to try and play in the top 6. Poile has to go along with his whole staff. Scouts and all. Because they don’t know how to scout a forward in the draft either.

this i agree with. thought for sure the plan was to sign hoffman if we didn't get hall. it was obvious to all we needed another scorer and top 6 winger, not more grinder bottom 6 players. don't understand this decision at all.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm not sure why people are debating over our roster.. I mean in a sense yes, we lack a top-six forward but other than that, our team should be competitive. On paper. Kunin was expected to be the missing piece in the top-six but the point is moot since so far nobody besides Forsberg has delivered.

While I was hoping we would sign Hoffman I don't think a guy like him would've made any difference. It's also pretty clear that the interest between us and Hoffman was not mutual. I can understand why.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I'm not sure why people are debating over our roster.. I mean in a sense yes, we lack a top-six forward but other than that, our team should be competitive. On paper. Kunin was expected to be the missing piece in the top-six but the point is moot since so far nobody besides Forsberg has delivered.

While I was hoping we would sign Hoffman I don't think a guy like him would've made any difference. It's also pretty clear that the interest between us and Hoffman was not mutual. I can understand why.
It's a variation on the Tolvanen argument. "If only there was another pure goal scorer ..."

But that doesn't fix taking bad penalties. Or a terrible PK. Or defensive breakdowns. Or playing the first 2 periods in our own zone. Or always playing from behind. Or inability to execute breakouts. Or pass the puck cleanly. Or establish anything at all offensively. Or ...

In short, adding another pure shooter doesn't fix a team playing terrible hockey. It takes 20.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Duchene was pacing a bit low last season under Lavy at just over a 60 point pace, Johansen was also always around that 60 point place. Here's what the team looks like under Hynes.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
upload_2021-2-15_11-6-15.png

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Their contracts are literally a NMC imo. I doupt Seattle take one of them. Hope i am wrong, but i think Poile (if he is still our GM at this point) protect both.
The only NMCs we have are Josi and Rinne. And Rinne's contract is up.

If the Preds leave Johansen unprotected, I'd take him in a heartbeat if I was Seattle. As stated in the last paragraph, Josi is on an NMC, so the only other player that might be more enticing would be Forsberg.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
this i agree with. thought for sure the plan was to sign hoffman if we didn't get hall. it was obvious to all we needed another scorer and top 6 winger, not more grinder bottom 6 players. don't understand this decision at all.
I don't think Poile decided against it. I think Hoffman decided against it. Hoffman took less money to go to St.Louis. We better start getting used to that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The only NMCs we have are Josi and Rinne. And Rinne's contract is up.

If the Preds leave Johansen unprotected, I'd take him in a heartbeat if I was Seattle. As stated in the last paragraph, Josi is on an NMC, so the only other player that might be more enticing would be Forsberg.
I think you'd have to jump through a lot of hoops in terms of figuring out the whole Expansion Draft, plus what trades Seattle gets offered to take high-salaried players and scoop up draft picks, before you could really guess if they'd take Johansen or Duchene or not. I can imagine it going either way. Seattle might not be aware of it... but I wouldn't be shocked if either of Johansen or Duchene didn't turn out to be worth their salaries on another team, with a different philosophy. They aren't obviously toasted players physically. They aren't producing in line with their contracts. But they might be able to in a different environment. Seattle probably won't need to roll the dice on that, though. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad