John Gibson

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not sure if Anaheim would do this, but the most I’d pay for Gibson would be this taking into consideration it now exposes Campbell as well.

Andersen, Dermott, Engvall, 1st round draft pick FOR Gibson.

I wouldn’t give up any of Robertson, Sandin or Liljegren.

That would work for the Leafs, but Anaheim may not go for that either.

Reactions: ToneDog

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think this is a move you make post-expansion draft since we're most likely going to be protecting Campbell. I think a summer deal for Gibson would be nice and I would happily throw them a couple of firsts and some mid-tier prospects. I would try my best to save Lilly/Sandin, Robertson/ Amirov. After that everyone is fair game. Only reason I don't want to give up on those 4 kids is that they're all on their ELC and pretty good NHL ready players and we're going to need them to slot in for cheap for the next 3-5 years until our cap situation improves.

I would love to see something like;

To Tor:
John Gibson

To Anaheim:
2021 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
2022 1st round pick
B prospect

It's a ton to give up but Gibson has 6 years left after this? And he's been an absolute star playing in front of a tire fire team.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
For people that want Dubas to get bigger, grittier players, that's why we don't have Gibson. Tyler Biggs! Yeah. Thanks Burkie!

One has nothing to do with the other. We need grit, but no one is advocating wasting 1st round picks on goons.

Gibson would be a big get - you need an elite goalie to win, and Freddie is not an elite goalie. I'd part with any of our prospects for the guy. On the general board, the suggestion is that Gibson would cost the equivalent of 3 first-round picks, which does seem a little steep.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That would work for the Leafs, but Anaheim may not go for that either.
They most likely wouldn’t. I don’t see a trade being made for Gibson without involving one of Robertson or Sandin which I wouldn’t do. I’d wait and try to take a run for Binnginton. Or if we want a 1A-1B tandem that wouldn’t break the bank, Ullmark.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
I offered up Sandin, Hirvonen, 1st, and Andersen on the main board and got shredded, so I wouldnt advise going to the trade boards for him :laugh:

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Gibson has been playing behind a more defensive minded team, his numbers will go down here, I'd rather go for Kuemper if we are to part ways with Fred, its not as much of a bet on a very volatile position, where confidence can make and break them, and then the same goalie will suddenly perform well in next club, its like voodoo. Gibson has built so much of a name for himself that Leafs would've to trade the farm to get him. Kuemper not so much.

Reactions: Critical91

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think this is a move you make post-expansion draft since we're most likely going to be protecting Campbell. I think a summer deal for Gibson would be nice and I would happily throw them a couple of firsts and some mid-tier prospects. I would try my best to save Lilly/Sandin, Robertson/ Amirov. After that everyone is fair game. Only reason I don't want to give up on those 4 kids is that they're all on their ELC and pretty good NHL ready players and we're going to need them to slot in for cheap for the next 3-5 years until our cap situation improves.

To Tor:
John Gibson

To Anaheim:
2021 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
2022 1st round pick
B prospect

It's a ton to give up but Gibson has 6 years left after this? And he's been an absolute star playing in front of a tire fire team.

Well that is not far off from Andersen + Dermott/Engvall + prospect + 1st. Andersen would have to get flipped of course.

Also Anaheim mostly can't score right now. Defensively they are performing similarly to the Leafs, which is not the greatest right now, but Andersen perpetuates it a fair bit right now. Gibson is doing worse at ES save percentage, but is doing a fair bit better with high danger save percentage. The Leafs are also doing a good job at preventing rebound chances, whereas Anaheim gives up a ton, so that is even better for a guy like Gibson.

Andersen is mostly just doing about as well as the team in front of him at ES, but doesn't really steal anything. That has helped us win a lot because the team in front of him has mostly been really good, although can be better. Gibson is not significantly better than Andersen at ES (he is doing a little bit better than his defense right now) but he is also doing better with his rebound control so he is making it easier on his defense than Andersen is right now.

The main difference between Gibson and Andersen right now is PK. Andersen is arguably the worst starter in the league at PK, despite our PK being top 5-10 in terms of the vast majority of defensive metrics. Gibson is one of the best by far despite Anaheim's PK being bottom 10 in most metrics.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I offered up Sandin, Hirvonen, 1st, and Andersen on the main board and got shredded, so I wouldnt advise going to the trade boards for him :laugh:

Yeah they want like two of our top prospects, Andersen, and a 1st. They can keep him.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Yeah they want like two of our top prospects, Andersen, and a 1st. They can keep him.
I don't think he's going to get more than 2 1sts and a mid-tier prospect. Can probably swap out a first for a top prospect. Gibson is an absolute stud but goalies just don't get traded for that much value. Correct me if I'm wrong. Freddy was seen as a stellar goalie and was the Ducks undisputed #1 and Gibson at the time was a young stud up and coming. We got Fred for a 1st and 2nd, I believe and that's the highest price any goalie's gone for in recent memory. Bob went for Carter back in the day but Carter carried a huge cap hit and ended up busting for CBJ.

Reactions: aingefan

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't think he's going to get more than 2 1sts and a mid-tier prospect. Can probably swap out a first for a top prospect. Gibson is an absolute stud but goalies just don't get traded for that much value. Correct me if I'm wrong. Freddy was seen as a stellar goalie and was the Ducks undisputed #1 and Gibson at the time was a young stud up and coming. We got Fred for a 1st and 2nd, I believe and that's the highest price any goalie's gone for in recent memory. Bob went for Carter back in the day but Carter carried a huge cap hit and ended up busting for CBJ.

Bobrovsky went for a 2nd and 2 4ths.

I think if you are including Andersen, a mid-tier prospect, a roster guy like Dermott or Engvall (or both instead of the mid-tier prospect), and a 1st... You are shooting high for Gibson's value. Not many teams can even afford Gibson right now, and as you said, goalies don't get that kind of value really.

If they do, I'd rather just go the UFA route. There are some good goalies there... Binnington, Andersen, Raanta, etc. None of them are getting a higher cap hit than Gibson, and we don't need to give up assets for them. Binnington actually has more playoff success than Gibson has ever had too.

Reactions: nobody

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't see why they'd trade him.

It'd probably cost something like Andersen+Robertson+Sandin/Amirov and then another guy like Engvall to balance salaries. Maybe even another prospect or a pick in there.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
lack of success at the draft table.

even a capable backup from any recent draft would be a big help but they haven't even managed that much.
Apparently you can get a backup job in the NHL and still be so bad the team doesn't want to play ya. LOL

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If this is actually a legit rumour the Leafs should be all over it. An upgraded goaltender with a good contract; that kind of cost certainty for 7 more years is a rare commodity. Would have to be after Campbell returns though as he'd have to carry the load during the 14 day quarantine

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

To Tor:
John Gibson

To Anaheim:
2021 1st round pick
2021 2nd round pick
2022 1st round pick
B prospect

If the management assessment is we need Gibson, you can't wait imo. You cannot throw away this glorious opportunity we have this year only playing the north division until the final 4

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Value wise it is good for the Leafs, but Anaheim likely doesn't go for it.

I left room to add... And I would to get it gone. I'd be willing to add Dermott, or take out one of the picks and add Liljegren if need be.

That would be nice package for Anaheim, and big upgrade for Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad