John Gibson

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I don't hate Andersen, but Gibson is a step up and would feel very confident going into the playoffs with him. That said, I would not give up Robertson or Lilly. Amirov and 1st is fine.

Of course, hypothetically speaking.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Binnington has proven he can steal playoff series. We need an elite goaltender to steal PLAYOFF series. Andersen is a great goalie. He had one horrible game the other night and we are largely overreacting. Still, he isn’t an ELITE goaltender.

Price, Binnington, Fleury, and Rask are.

Price? Is this 2016?

Reactions: stickty111

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
One of the few goalies you do break the bank for. Assuming they take Andersen I would be open to packages that could include any of our prospects including Robertson, Sandin, Lilly, even more so if we could do a Kerfoot / Rakell trade.

Holy shit imagine if we trade Robertson to the US after he stayed in Canada to be with teammates, didn’t go to WJC because he wanted to be in camp, gets injured in his first game, then as soon as he’s cleared he gets a couple AHL tune ups and then a 2wk quarantine for a trade to the US. Would feel awful for the kid.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If this was true, and I doubt it is. This season might not be a good one to pull it off.

Gibson would need to quarantine for 2 weeks, do Leafs have a goalie that could hold the fort for 2 weeks of the season ?

Definitely not while Campbell is injured, even if he isn't, would the team risk it ?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If this was true, and I doubt it is. This season might not be a good one to pull it off.

Gibson would need to quarantine for 2 weeks, do Leafs have a goalie that could hold the fort for 2 weeks of the season ?

Definitely not while Campbell is injured, even if he isn't, would the team risk it ?

What are they risking? They will make the playoffs if they forfeit the rest of the season, this division is trash.

If there is a trade for Gibson out there you do it. 27 year old stud goalie with a pretty decent cap hit.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
What are they risking? They will make the playoffs if they forfeit the rest of the season, this division is trash.

If there is a trade for Gibson out there you do it. 27 year old stud goalie with a pretty decent cap hit.

Depending on price, your right. If he's out there you pull the trigger.

I just wonder if this season gives them a bit of hesitation before doing it. I would assume if it happens if definitely after Campbell is back.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
6 more years after this one worries me given how unpredictable goalies can be. We're going to waste this year on Andersen unfortunately and see where the chips fall after the expansion draft, at least this season we have a competent safety net in Campbell.

I'm of the belief teams don't need a stud goalie to win anymore, just someone competent who can make the big save. I'd be fine with Kuemper/Campbell platoon system going forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This would be amazing, if he’s available at any point we need to go for it. Freddy would definitely need to be part of the trade.

I’m sure many won’t like this but what about

Nylander + Andersen

for

Gibson + Rakell

You might have forgotten this but .... This might be one of the Leafs worst trades ever ...

GM Burke trade away Leafs picks #30 & #39 to Anaheim for #22 that were used to select Rakell and Gibson when he traded up to draft Tyler Biggs in 2011.

MapleLeafs1987Sm.gif

Maple Leafs

Traded • 2011 first round pick (#30-Rickard Rakell) • 2011 second round pick (#39-John Gibson) to Ducks for • 2011 first round pick (#22-Tyler Biggs) on 2011-06-24

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Probably just down because how bad his team is.

Maybe wants to get closer to home?

If there was any truth to the rumour, Ducks would hold out for quite the haul, especially since it isn't like he's a winger or defenseman you can just swap out.

I don't see anything on the Leafs, that is available, I'd want for a top notch goaltender.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Gibson and Rakall should be the targets if making a Ducks deal.
Back up the draft capital and Sandin and Robertson to get them.

I would prefer Arizona goalie DK. They have 3 NHL capable goalies currently.

Reactions: Kurtz

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Goalies are voodoo and a change in market can make a big impact .. It's a risky thing to put a lot of assets forward.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Not sure if Anaheim would do this, but the most I’d pay for Gibson would be this taking into consideration it now exposes Campbell as well.

Andersen, Dermott, Engvall, 1st round draft pick FOR Gibson.

I wouldn’t give up any of Robertson, Sandin or Liljegren.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs best recent playoff success was with Cujo and Belfour at the helm and they each stole playoff series. No coincidence a top level goalie = playoff success.

Look no further than a weak Montreal team last year.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To Anaheim
Freddy Anderson (money)
Pierre Engvall (money)
Rodion Amirov
Ronnie Hirvonen or Mikhail Abramov
2021 1st round pick
2022 2nd round pick

To Toronto
John Gibson
Rickard Rackell (50% retained)

Rackell / Mathews / Marner
Hyman / Tavares / Nylander
Thornton / Kerfoot / Mikheyev
Robertson / Spezza / Simmonds
Galchenyuk / Boyd

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Dermott / Bogosian
Lehtonen

Gibson
Campbell

With Sandin, Liljegren, Hallander and Anderson waiting in the wings to add cheap, young bottom 6 and bottom pairing depth!

Sign me up. That's a formidable group for the next couple years!

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
You might have forgotten this but .... This might be one of the Leafs worst trades ever ...

GM Burke trade away Leafs picks #30 & #39 to Anaheim for #22 that were used to select Rakell and Gibson when he traded up to draft Tyler Biggs in 2011.

MapleLeafs1987Sm.gif

Maple Leafs

Traded • 2011 first round pick (#30-Rickard Rakell) • 2011 second round pick (#39-John Gibson) to Ducks for • 2011 first round pick (#22-Tyler Biggs) on 2011-06-24

Oh I do unfortunately remember lol. Thanks Burkie

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
goalie trade market might not be as hot this year as years past. You can only protect 1, which would mean we would be at risk of losing Jack for free after this season. Any team trading for John would all but be guaranteeing that they will leave their other goalie exposed. Which diminishes the return from a John Gibson deal.

love Gibson, and would make a play if available. Might shake the core of the room up, as I know Freddy is a popular teammate, especially with Matthews. But maybe Freddy needs to be our Derozan.

not sure what the value would need to be to see this deal through, but KD certainly would need to be in on this if true

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
For people that want Dubas to get bigger, grittier players, that's why we don't have Gibson. Tyler Biggs! Yeah. Thanks Burkie!

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Gibson is one of the goalies who I wouldn't mind Dubas being willing to pay extra to obtain. He could literally be the difference between putting the team over the top.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I’ve been a huge Gibson fan since he was on the Kitchener Rangers. I’d be willing to make a trade just cause I like the dude lol

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
To Anaheim
Freddy Anderson (money)
Pierre Engvall (money)
Rodion Amirov
Ronnie Hirvonen or Mikhail Abramov
2021 1st round pick
2022 2nd round pick

To Toronto
John Gibson
Rickard Rackell (50% retained)

Rackell / Mathews / Marner
Hyman / Tavares / Nylander
Thornton / Kerfoot / Mikheyev
Robertson / Spezza / Simmonds
Galchenyuk / Boyd

Reilly / Brodie
Muzzin / Holl
Dermott / Bogosian
Lehtonen

Gibson
Campbell

With Sandin, Liljegren, Hallander and Anderson waiting in the wings to add cheap, young bottom 6 and bottom pairing depth!

Sign me up. That's a formidable group for the next couple years!

Value wise it is good for the Leafs, but Anaheim likely doesn't go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad