John Gibson

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I mean that he was a legit #1 by age 21 for Tampa.

He's a different comparison. I don't look at Gibson in the same light. He's a good goalie, but he'll cost a pretty penny with many interested parties. I just don't think Gibson will change much for Toronto. Honestly.

Even though Andersen makes many mistakes, a lot of issues here are still self induced more often than not. Simply bc they stop playing or feel sorry for being up 3+ goals. I'd wait until Campbell is back and see what they have there.

andersen is too inconsistant, he allowed too many bad goal at the wrong time again and again. just an exemple against montreal a weak goal after 1 minute to andersson and leafs and gave an other bad one with 3 minute leafs because he's completly out of position.

last night first goal to batherson, no reason to allow that goal and give a chance to ottawa to came back. I don't think we will never win nothing with him on net, i just lost my faith in andersen

He can be really really good sometime but when hes not, everything looking hard for him.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Looks like Jimmy Murphy is the one speculating on this. Isn't this guy known for basically being another Eklund?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
If Gibson made 4 million he would be insanely valuable.

At 5 million he would be valuable.

Gibson at 6.4 million... for 7 years... I'm not paying a ton for that.

so you will stay with andersen, koskinen, holtby type of goalie if you don't want to pay over 6M for an elite goalie.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That’s a joke.

I mean you are missing the entire part about the futures... I never said what they would be.

It depends on what Andersen would get from a 3rd team.

They aren't getting a core player in that deal. We are not subtracting a significant piece of our roster to add him. So if he does not fit that mix, then there is no deal.

However if we are really interested, I can see Amirov or our 2021 1st being on the table. Not sure I see the Leafs including both when you also include Andersen's entire return as well. I think if you include Andersen's entire return and either the 2021 1st or Amirov (the latter being more valuable obviously), you are hitting the Leafs' ceiling in terms of value. Dermott could also be included, but Anaheim doesn't really need him and I think the Leafs want to keep the depth.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We just need an goalie with average skills and a strong mental game. He doesn't need to steal many games, just not fold when it matters.

Reactions: willmma

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
andersen is too inconsistant, he allowed too many bad goal at the wrong time again and again. just an exemple against montreal a weak goal after 1 minute to andersson and leafs and gave an other bad one with 3 minute leafs because he's completly out of position.

last night first goal to batherson, no reason to allow that goal and give a chance to ottawa to came back. I don't think we will never win nothing with him on net, i just lost my faith in andersen

He can be really really good sometime but when hes not, everything looking hard for him.
I feel your pain brother but it's best to not react emotionally. Andersen had a very bad game but he wasn't to blame on every single play. Lots of things happen to ultimately be scored upon.

Leafs were pathetic after 5-1. It's the same small d***, loser mentality of feeling bad or embarrassed to be winning. It's been proven time and time again you need to continue to push for offense when up. When you have any team by the jugular, you need to put em down.

Only seen handful of time. It's definitely some roster construction but also just some really dumb players.

Reactions: Pinto

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I feel your pain brother but it's best to not react emotionally. Andersen had a very bad game but he wasn't to blame on every single play. Lots of things happen to ultimately be scored upon.

Leafs were pathetic after 5-1. It's the same small d***, loser mentality of feeling bad or embarrassed to be winning. It's been proven time and time again you need to continue to push for offense when up. When you have any team by the jugular, you need to put em down.

Only seen handful of time. It's definitely some roster construction but also just some really dumb players.

i don't blame on him for collaspsed at 5-1, i blamed him for every weak goal he gave again and again on close score when you need your goalie being strong, that's different.

Reactions: The Cobra

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

He was the reason we lost that game. Most of those goals were pretty much entirely on him. He caused that 2nd goal against with a boneheaded play that put Boyd and Tavares in a terrible spot. Tavares ultimately gave the puck up, and he never should have been put in that situation in the first place. Undressed by Zub... Absolutely unacceptable. Terrible rebound control and positioning at various other points, and didn't even come close to playing that Dadonov breakaway properly.

He was outplayed by a subpar backup on the league's worst team who also had a terrible game. Other guys made mistakes, but he is the only reason why it ended the way it did... And really the only reason why Ottawa should have even been able to come close to us. Toronto played bad enough to maybe give up 3 goals if Andersen was having a mediocre night.

This game shouldn't be his nail, but he's the top guy on the chopping block by far right now. He's been given numerous chances to overcome his hurdles, and has been protected from reasonable scrutiny, for years but he is only getting worse. It's no longer on the team in front of him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t see the Leafs moving on from Freddy, they’ll let his contract run out and let him walk. If the Leafs acquire another goaltender, that means they’ll be leaving Campbell exposed. Campbells too good and on a cheap deal, it’s not ideal to have him exposed. Wait until after the expansion draft and see what goaltenders are available via trade or free agency.

If you’re willing to spend 6.4 million into a goalie, Binnington could be an option this off-season. He’s also a local boy and wouldn’t cost a 1st ++ to acquire.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
One of the few goalies you do break the bank for. Assuming they take Andersen I would be open to packages that could include any of our prospects including Robertson, Sandin, Lilly, even more so if we could do a Kerfoot / Rakell trade.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don’t see the Leafs moving on from Freddy, they’ll let his contract run out and let him walk. If the Leafs acquire another goaltender, that means they’ll be leaving Campbell exposed. Campbells too good and on a cheap deal, it’s not ideal to have him exposed. Wait until after the expansion draft and see what goaltenders are available via trade or free agency.

If you’re willing to spend 6.4 million into a goalie, Binnington could be an option this off-season. He’s also a local boy and wouldn’t cost a 1st ++ to acquire.

I think there will be better goalies available than Campbell to be honest.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He was the reason we lost that game. Most of those goals were pretty much entirely on him. He caused that 2nd goal against with a boneheaded play that put Boyd and Tavares in a terrible spot. Tavares ultimately gave the puck up, and he never should have been put in that situation in the first place. Undressed by Zub... Absolutely unacceptable. Terrible rebound control and positioning at various other points, and didn't even come close to playing that Dadonov breakaway properly.

He was outplayed by a subpar backup on the league's worst team who also had a terrible game. Other guys made mistakes, but he is the only reason why it ended the way it did... And really the only reason why Ottawa should have even been able to come close to us. Toronto played bad enough to maybe give up 3 goals if Andersen was having a mediocre night.

This game shouldn't be his nail, but he's the top guy on the chopping block by far right now. He's been given numerous chances to overcome his hurdles, and has been protected from reasonable scrutiny, for years but he is only getting worse. It's no longer on the team in front of him.
I'm aware of his issues but I'm not in favour of bringing in another goalie who has done good things for another team. Gibson even before Ducks were bad, allows way too many high danger goals at 5v5. When I look at Gibson now I think of when Leafs acquired Andersen.

Then the extra 6+ years at over 6 mill. Woof.

Give me Kuemper and Campbell. Let's promote some dmen and tinker and they'll be alright.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
so you will stay with andersen, koskinen, holtby type of goalie if you don't want to pay over 6M for an elite goalie.
Great player, not a great contract.
I’m just saying if we were to trade for him I wouldn’t be giving up the farm. Player value is directly tied to contract and control. That’s why I would say Holl has more value then JT. Gibson isn’t a contract I would be lining up to get but it’s not an anchor either.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Great goalie at a good price. Obviously he'd be a great get.

But I doubt Anaheim ever moves him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'm aware of his issues but I'm not in favour of bringing in another goalie who has done good things for another team. Gibson even before Ducks were bad, allows way too many high danger goals at 5v5. When I look at Gibson now I think of when Leafs acquired Andersen.

Give me Kuemper and Campbell. Let's promote some dmen and tinker and they'll be alright.

He is not overpaid, so I don't see the problem. It may mean we need to cut from another area, but ~8 mill on goaltending is not unreasonable even for this team.

The Leafs are not in a position to trust Campbell right now. He can maybe get more opportunities once he returns, but goalie is our biggest weakness right now and Campbell is a complete unknown. It's a pretty big risk which could really hamstring our chances this year.

And do we even know if Kuemper is available right now? His cost better not be huge either, because he would be more of a tandem goalie and a shakeup than an upgrade on Andersen.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I'm up for it but Sandin and Robertson are off the table.

Nylander for Gibson+ is something but not yet.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

If you want to follow through on the Kuemper thought:

Bruce Garrioch suggested he'd cost a 1st and "another piece" to get him back in October. That is lofty for a guy like him. This is what I could suggest though, and would fit right into Pridham's wheelhouse.

:leafs
G Darcy Kuemper (4.5 mill)
LD Jordan Oesterle (50% retention of 1.4 mill by CAR; 700k)
RD Dysin Mayo (AHL)

IN: 5.2 mill
---
G Frederik Andersen
LD Travis Dermott
RW/LW Alex Barabanov
RD Mac Hollowell

OUT: 5.875 mill.

:canes
G Frederik Andersen (1.625 mill retained by ARI; 3.375 mill)

IN: 3.375 mill + 700k retention for Oesterle = 4.075 mill.
---
G James Reimer
LD Dominik Fensore
CAR 2nd round pick 2021

OUT: 3.4 mill

:coyotes
G James Reimer (3.4 mill)
LD Travis Dermott (.875 mill)
RW Alex Barabanov (taxi)
RD Mac Hollowell (AHL)
LD Dominik Fensore (unsigned)
CAR 2nd round pick 2021

IN: 4.275 mill + 1.625 mill for Andersen's retention = 5.9 mill.
---
G Darcy Kuemper
LD Jordan Oesterle
RD Dysin Mayo

OUT: 5.9 mill.

Notes:
- I have ARI retaining Andersen and CAR retaining Oesterle so that ARI doesn't need to retain two contracts.
- Leafs toss in Barabanov to ARI because they were the front runners in March 2020 for him alongside the Leafs. I figure they can afford to give him another shot, and it's clear the Leafs don't want him anymore. SOURCE: Toronto Maple Leafs, Arizona Coyotes front-runners for KHL F Alexander Barabanov - TSN.ca
- Dysin Mayo is nothing special, so I figured he could be the return for Barabanov and can replace Hollowell on the RD depth chart in the AHL for this year. Then he can be non-tendered if we don't want him anymore. Also makes sure ARI doesn't take on too many contracts in one deal.
- Real money wise, neither money strapped team needs to worry. Kuemper is the only one making real money (the rest are 1 mill or less) so we are taking on the most real cash, which also plays into the value a little bit.
- Leafs can try out Kuemper with Campbell. Has an extra year over Andersen so at the very least they try out the shake up and get that added flexibility, both in terms of the extra year and 675k in cap space.
- Oesterle is nothing special but, at a 700k cap hit, can replace Dermott. Moves the puck well, plays a simple and reliable game, and can even do some PK work if we need him to. I figure he would be good for the rotation with Lehtonen.
- The Leafs only consider moving Dermott in this kind of deal because of expansion. They can now choose to protect Holl or Kerfoot++, but they'd need to re-sign Bogosian or Oesterle to meet expansion requirements if they protect Holl (need a defenseman under contract with a certain amount of games played).
- Arizona can protect Dermott. They only have Chychrun and OEL worth protecting on defense, and Dermott can be a nice addition to a defense with a ton of older UFA's who are not very effective. Their LD is solid long term, and if they do move OEL, Dermott could move to the top 4 (or even do so by shifting to RD). It's a very nice piece to get in return for what they give up, so they can thank expansion.
- ARI also gets a couple of solid defensive prospects in Fensore and Hollowell on top of a 2nd and giving Barabanov a shot. It's not a 1st round pick and "another piece", but good luck getting that for Kuemper. I would say Dermott is significantly better than that other piece, and including Oesterle + retention is hardly much of a kicker.
- Carolina gets a legitimate starting goalie to pair with Mrazek for their run and it doesn't cost them much to do so. Goaltending has held them back, and the Leafs have dealt with CAR before. Reimer is meh and pretty much worthless, but he is needed for cap reasons and can fill in for ARI (especially if they trade Raanta too).

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Oesterle-Bogosian
Lehtonen

Kuemper - Campbell

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

I agree with this.

New shiny object syndrome is making people a little crazy. 7 years for a goalie is high risk.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Binnington has proven he can steal playoff series. We need an elite goaltender to steal PLAYOFF series. Andersen is a great goalie. He had one horrible game the other night and we are largely overreacting. Still, he isn’t an ELITE goaltender.

Price, Binnington, Fleury, and Rask are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad