Player Discussion John Gibson

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A similar deal Freddie got is my whish. I'm still a little worried about his health.

That would be ideal but Gibson I think is significantly better than Freddie was when he signed his current deal. Ultimately Hellebuyck signing for what he did likely guarantees Gibson at least 6. The only thing he has going against him is health.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
That would be ideal but Gibson I think is significantly better than Freddie was when he signed his current deal. Ultimately Hellebuyck signing for what he did likely guarantees Gibson at least 6. The only thing he has going against him is health.
Average salary goes only up.

But IIRC Gibson has more RFA years than Freddy did. And Gibsons injuries WILL be a factor in his contract

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Average salary goes only up.

But IIRC Gibson has more RFA years than Freddy did. And Gibsons injuries WILL be a factor in his contract

Gibson because he came into the league at a young age is only one year from UFA after this one. So he’s in the exact same spot Andersen was in terms of contracts. After this one expires he has one RFA year left.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Has been our MVP so far this season hopefully he stays healthy and continues to play so well. Still can't believe he didn't do better in Vezina voting from last season.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This has me worried. He is doing almost a double workload some other goalies are doing, lol. He needs some rest
He will need some rest eventually, but no goalie needs rest after four games with none being back-to-back. Even when they're one-sided.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He will need some rest eventually, but no goalie needs rest after four games with none being back-to-back. Even when they're one-sided.
While I agree, I am taking this from last years RC usage of him and the fact that Gibby has to face more shots than most goalies.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Probably my favourite ANA goalie after Hebert. I hope he stays healthy, and wins a couple of Vezina trophies as a Duck.

He and Andersen were the first duo to win the Jennings for ANA. I hope he's first to capture the Vezina as well.

Also, he seems much more comfortable/relaxed in interviews compared to prior years/seasons. So... yay!

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Probably my favourite ANA goalie after Hebert. I hope he stays healthy, and wins a couple of Vezina trophies as a Duck.

He and Andersen were the first duo to win the Jennings for ANA. I hope he's first to capture the Vezina as well.

Also, he seems much more comfortable/relaxed in interviews compared to prior years/seasons. So... yay!

He's become a lot better with fans. Early on, a lot of people said he was... stand-off ish I guess? Or maybe a little arrogant. Last year I wanted to get a birthday card autographed for my mom (she just started following hockey a couple years ago and Gibson is her favorite player), and he offered to personalize it for her. I never met him early on, but sounds like he's gotten a LOT better with fans.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He's become a lot better with fans. Early on, a lot of people said he was... stand-off ish I guess? Or maybe a little arrogant. Last year I wanted to get a birthday card autographed for my mom (she just started following hockey a couple years ago and Gibson is her favorite player), and he offered to personalize it for her. I never met him early on, but sounds like he's gotten a LOT better with fans.
In the season opener in SJ in the post game interview with Pierre, he was amazing. He was indeed a very closed personality early on, but he seems to be way more happier these days. Cool to see!

Reactions: lwvs84
Oct 18, 2011
If he's not the best goalie he's top 3. What happened in the vezina voting last year was a joke. Bobrovsky was really the only goalie comparable in performance

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If he's not the best goalie he's top 3. What happened in the vezina voting last year was a joke. Bobrovsky was really the only goalie comparable in performance
This. He's definitely Top 3. This team will make the playoffs just like the Canucks did in 2007 with Luongo being the reason they got in. They also lacked a elite D-man but had 3 #2s in Salo, Ohlund & Bieska as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He certainly is saving the most shots but the ''TOP3 for sure'' thing is a bit weird imo.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Him not getting it might have saved the Ducks some money with that contract...so there’s a glass half full take

Oct 18, 2011
He certainly is saving the most shots but the ''TOP3 for sure'' thing is a bit weird imo.
The so called "advanced stats" on goalies last year rated him and Bobrovsky above everyone else by a fair margin. I think they have merit, bc they show what we all saw, anaheim was very bad defensively last year

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If John Gibson is injuring his groin (which is a lower body injury), but as always is standing on his head. Isn`t it automatically an upper body injury because he`s upside down?
Just asking

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel bad for Gibson.... hes clearly getting frustrated... doesn't seem like the team is even bothering to defend him when people are in his face/paint.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
NHL awards race: John Gibson's case for the Vezina and the Hart

It's ESPN... but all the same, it's nice to see someone in the media who's absolutely batshit crazy about John Gibson's performance this year. I think having him as the leader for the Hart is a tad excessive given the field, but it's nice to see the guy who carried us to the playoffs last year getting a little more recognition than 6th in overall Vezina voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad