Seravalli: John Gibson “I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks” (refuted by agent)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You said nothing in return and have to keep some money. Which means they get nothing and retain. Which means they pay someone to take him.

No it meant they’re likely gonna have to take some cap back one way or another if they’re gonna move him right now.

No one can or will absorb his contract without sending something back

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I might get torched from other Devils fans....but does Vanecek and Holtz for Gibson (50% retained) work for everyone?? Holtz is the incentive for Anaheim to retain 50% of this deal and he needs to probably make a move to get guaranteed top 6 minutes.

As a Ducks fan I would take that and run.

Reactions: LuGBuG

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I might get torched from other Devils fans....but does Vanecek and Holtz for Gibson (50% retained) work for everyone?? Holtz is the incentive for Anaheim to retain 50% of this deal and he needs to probably make a move to get guaranteed top 6 minutes.

Hell no. I don't want Gibson for free. Too much risk involved with his contract and play.

He could bounce back on a better team and it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not risking it.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Dear sweet baby Jesus, please have Dubas trade Jarry in a package for Gibson

View attachment 725884
But why? Other than the fact that Jarry has some injury history he has been better than Gibson the past 3 seasons. Yes, I know that Pittsburgh is a better team, but other than Miller, Gibson's backups have better numbers playing behind the same team.

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
But why? Other than the fact that Jarry has some injury history he has been better than Gibson the past 3 seasons. Yes, I know that Pittsburgh is a better team, but other than Miller, Gibson's backups have better numbers playing behind the same team.
Weird take, but i'll indulge.

When the available options are Gibby, who has to face 40+ shots more often than not, or a goaltender who doesn't have experience in the NHL...who are you going to choose knowing, most likely, that you are going to lose unless your goaltender stands on their head?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If it’s first and not those prospects then this trade seems more fair.
Oilers would value Holloway > 1st > Bourgault at this point I’d say. A strong camp could push Bourgault past the general value of a 2024 1st just based on we need cheap entry level contracts injected into the lineup. Outside that I’d agree most clubs would value the 1st above a winger like Bourgault.

I’d personally if doing this deal trade rather move Bourgault. The 1st could be tabled but as I mentioned to the poster who proposed this, the retention amount needs increasing for us.

Granted he seems to understand that as he mentioned taking a cap dump D man back. For us likely Ceci. Just not sure Holland will move him without a clear upgrade option available to him. We can’t lose Ceci as the roster stands now. Maybe we sign Dumba on the cheap and then as proposed probably works.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Why would anyone trade anything of value for him just cause he played 50 games last year. His SV% is bad, his goals saved above expectation is bad. His contract is bad. Why?

He's basically Jordan Binnington right now, 29 yo, signed for 4 more years, paid about 6m, and most people think of that as a negative valued deal.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 12.45.19 PM.png

edit: screenshot from moneypuck.com

Last edited:

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Why would anyone trade anything of value for him just cause he played 50 games last year. His SV% is bad, his goals saved above expectation is bad. His contract is bad. Why?

He's basically Jordan Binnington right now, 29 yo, signed for 4 more years, paid about 6m, and most people think of that as a negative valued deal.

View attachment 726178
You don't understand: it's not his fault in any way. It was all Eakins and the Ducks; Gibson is one of the greatest goaltenders to ever lace them up. And any statistic that shows otherwise is just biased nonsense. You obviously don't watch the games.

I personally refer to him as John "Jesus Christ" Gibson because no player in the NHL has ever had a more difficult position than playing goaltender for Anaheim. Nor has any player deserved such vicious and unfair slights.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

View attachment 726178

Now do high danger shots against.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

View attachment 726178

edit: screenshot from moneypuck.com

Slightly off topic, but Reimer being rainbow is hysterical.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Weird take, but i'll indulge.

When the available options are Gibby, who has to face 40+ shots more often than not, or a goaltender who doesn't have experience in the NHL...who are you going to choose knowing, most likely, that you are going to lose unless your goaltender stands on their head?
I think you are hinting at that Gibson was overplayed because Anaheim didn't have a viable NHL back-up? I can kinda accept this reasoning. But these are the numbers over the last three years:

2020-21
Gibson: .903 SV%, 2.98 GA/G, 35 GP, 9 wins
Miller: .882 SV%, 3.61 GA/G, 16 GP, 4 wins
Stolarz: .926 SV%, 2.20 GA/G, 8 GP, 4 wins
Jarry: .909 SV%, 2.75 GA/G, 39 GP, 25 wins

2021-22

Gibson: .904 SV%, 3.19 GA/G, 56 GP, 18 Wins
Stolarz: .917 SV%, 2.67 GA/G, 28 GP, 12 Wins
Dostal: .907 SV%, 2.98 GA/G, 4 GP, 1 win
Jarry: .919 SV%, 2.42 GA/G, 58 GP, 34 wins

2022-23

Gibson: .899 SV%, 3.99 GA/G, 53 GP, 14 wins
Dostal: .901 SV%, 3.78 GA/G, 19 GP, 4 wins
Stolarz: .899 SV%, 3.73 GA/G, 19 GP, 5 wins
Jarry: .909 SV%, 2.90 GA/G, 47 GP, 24 wins

I would agree that Gibson is getting overplayed, but based on the numbers I think it is impossible to say that he would be better than Jarry in Pittsburgh.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Now do high danger shots against.
Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 1.59.04 PM.png

So basically you need to bet on the idea that all other metrics are skewed by him facing 100-200 more high danger shots against than most starters. That is insane but still a dangerous bet to make, and the fact that the Gibson, Hart, and Hellebuyck trade talk is deader than dead makes me think no GM is interested in meeting the asking prices these GMs are hoping for.

link

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
View attachment 726201

So basically you need to bet on the idea that all other metrics are skewed by him facing 100-200 more high danger shots against than most starters. That is insane but still a dangerous bet to make, and the fact that the Gibson, Hart, and Hellebuyck trade talk is deader than dead makes me think no GM is interested in meeting the asking prices these GMs are hoping for.

link

I think there are a couple factors there.

For one; Gibson to me has always had those Mike Smith eyes. He just ramps things up when the next goal breaks a game. He's far better when it's 0-0 then when his impotent ducks team (31st in scoring at 2.51 goals per game) is down with only 20-30 minutes to play.

Depending on how you look at it, it's a weakness in that he seems to give up when his team is out of the game. Depending on how you look at it, he's just really good at keeping your team in the game compared to average. But it manifests as a huge weakness on this current ducks team because they're just down and out a lot because they aren't good.

I feel like I've watched Gibson stand on his head and save 25 shots before goal #1 goes in, then he makes another 10 saves before goal #2 goes in, and after that he's just... good game go next kind of thing and will let in 2 or 3 goals in 4 or 5 shots.

For two; the number of shear Dallas Eakins Swarm "this guy scored" meme goals the ducks have been giving up is absurd and at a certain point that's just not on the goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad