Seravalli: John Gibson “I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks” (refuted by agent)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lol servavelli is pretty informed, probably the #1 guy now a days. IMO I would bet money on Gibson actually saying what was said and now back tracking after it got out. Seems to happen more often then not and it's no secret Gibson has wanted out of California, or more so Anaheim for some time.

Or option #2, both parties are in on it and it's a ploy to both of pressure on Pat Verbeek and ensure Gibson doesn't look like an asshole.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I said it before and I say it now Gibson is a f***ing idiot for re-signing with the Ducks in the first place. He wasted his best years in a tire fire organization and is nothing more than an afterthought at this point of his career.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Kurt Odorfart is an absolute sleaze, you can guarantee that he's acting behind the scenes to get a trade done despite his strongly worded statement otherwise.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I am guessing Edmonton with Campbell going the other way.
We could only dream. While I expect some bounce back from Campbell, I don't expect enough of one to make this deal appetizing to the Ducks, even if the trade rumours are true. Plus, I don't know if Gibson would want to play in Edmonton. Prairie Canada winters vs Anaheim winters, and a system that doesn't offer a ton of support to the goalies.

from? Seems odd for a player to ask for a trade and then not accept one to a better team. It's not like there's a bunch of realistic options out there due to cap.
Wouldn't be the first time a guy demanded a trade and then blocked the attempt to make a trade to an undesirable team. See Heatley, Dany.

Reactions: Larry Hanson

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I mean, it could totally be something that he said but still being taken out of context. Someone could’ve asked him “are you going to be playing for the Anaheim ducks next season?” And he gave that answer. That’s not demanding a trade that’s stating what he believes.

I don’t understand what the big deal is overall, pretty sure it’s been public knowledge recently that he’d be open to or even expressed interest in being moved. This is different from like the past trade deadline.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You’re saying that as if your own goalie didn’t just do the same thing
Actually, what he did say was that he would try his hardest to win a Stanley cup next year, regardless of which team he was playing on.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Kurt Odorfart is an absolute sleaze, you can guarantee that he's acting behind the scenes to get a trade done despite his strongly worded statement otherwise.
Maybe he doesn’t enjoy reporters lying about alleged direct quotes from his client that could hurt their ability to be traded while trying to secure that trade. There’s a difference between a trade request and a refusal to play. Frank used the words “And he’s said 'I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks.'". That’s inflammatory and without proof it’s shitty journalism. His agent is 100% in the right for calling Frank on his horseshit.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There's a point last year where he had Bratt on the trade bait too and it turned out to be pretty manufactured for clicks. Thing is we've heard smoke with Gibson, the odds are probably Gibson wants a trade but leaking it out the way it was this afternoon would make Gibson look awful leaving Anaheim + lower his value since teams know he doesn't wanna play there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like there is room for a deal between the Ducks & Leafs that could include cap dumps.

Something like Gibson for Samsonov and Robertson, then the Leafs send over their 1st in '24, and a prospect for the Ducks to eat the contracts of Murray and Brodie. Then the Ducks could also cash in by eating salary and moving Brodie to a contender.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
murray royally f***ed up not trading gibson after his vezina-worthy 2019 season when it became evident the ducks were headed for a rebuild. his value has completely tanked now as a result of playing in front of AHL-tier defenses and there's really no market for him at all at this point

also, i very highly doubt he said that he's not willing to play another game for the ducks. i'm sure he's demanded a trade privately, but there's a huge difference between wanting to be traded and actually refusing to play for your team

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think it's obvious what's going on here. Gibson has requested a trade, and has said to someone close to him that he's not playing another game for the Ducks. Said person has then leaked this onwards, and it reached Frank. The way the agent worded his statement, is that Gibson has not informed the Ducks he wouldn't be playing, but he's not denying that such a thing has been said somewhere.

Reactions: Homesick

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I feel like there is room for a deal between the Ducks & Leafs that could include cap dumps.

Something like Gibson for Samsonov and Robertson, then the Leafs send over their 1st in '24, and a prospect for the Ducks to eat the contracts of Murray and Brodie. Then the Ducks could also cash in by eating salary and moving Brodie to a contender.

Lmfao ok so the Leafs give up a younger and better goaltender in Samsonov for the privilege of paying John “hasn’t had higher than a .904 save percentage since 2019” Gibson $6.4 million for the next four seasons, and give up their best defensive defenseman, a still well regarded prospect, and a first round pick to boot.

I wouldn’t trade Murray straight up for Gibson. At least Matt’s contract ends after this season. Would sooner attach the first round pick or Robertson to dump Murray clean without anything coming back.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This reminds me of the summer of 2011 when pathological liar Ryan Smyth did this to Bob MacKenzie. Bobby Mac stood by his story, and ultimately it came out (to the surprise of no one) that Smyth did indeed request a trade to Edmonton, knowing they were likely the only team in the NHL that was going to meet his salary demands on an extension the next summer. Smyth ofcourse after revealing he was lying, concocted a story about his children being unsafe in the dangerous neighborhoods of the South Bay part of LA.

We know with Smyth that two of the most important things to him were money and image. And the denial and lying was to protect an image he had worked hard to maintain. With Gibson I just don't see why they would go to these lengths to deny if he did indeed request a trade, it's 2023 and requesting trades is not really that big a deal, especially for a 30 year old goaltender who has been stuck on terrible teams for most of his prime years. Gibson also does not have a history of lying like Smyth did.

I feel like in this instance my hunch is to believe Gibson, but Seravelli is really standing by his story and sources aggressively, so who knows.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This reminds me of the summer of 2011 when pathological liar Ryan Smyth did this to Bob MacKenzie. Bobby Mac stood by his story, and ultimately it came out (to the surprise of no one) that Smyth did indeed request a trade to Edmonton, knowing they were likely the only team in the NHL that was going to meet his salary demands on an extension the next summer. Smyth ofcourse after revealing he was lying, concocted a story about his children being unsafe in the dangerous neighborhoods of the South Bay part of LA.

We know with Smyth that two of the most important things to him were money and image. And the denial and lying was to protect an image he had worked hard to maintain. With Gibson I just don't see why they would go to these lengths to deny if he did indeed request a trade, it's 2023 and requesting trades is not really that big a deal, especially for a 30 year old goaltender who has been stuck on terrible teams for most of his prime years. Gibson also does not have a history of lying like Smyth did.

I feel like in this instance my hunch is to believe Gibson, but Seravelli is really standing by his story and sources aggressively, so who knows.
My guess: the source is a friend or acquaintance of Gibson who once heard him venting frustration which included something along the lines of "I told them to trade me. I'm not playing another f***ing game for that rebuilding disaster"

Could be that he said something along those lines as an emotional expression of frustration but he didn't actually mean it. Hence conflicting reports.

Notably, no one has refuted that Gibson asked for a trade. I think it was pretty obvious that he's wanted out for a while given that his best play last season came just before the trade deadline and then he fizzled more or less back to normal after he wasn't traded. It's already of no help that his numbers have been poor of late (and that seems to be aggravated by him, at least in my opinion, mentally checking out of games that aren't going well) but this drama isn't going to help his case to be traded one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad