Seravalli: John Gibson “I am not playing another game for the Anaheim Ducks” (refuted by agent)

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
R.1f7803ccddbccda1a95efce0a16de6ee

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
View attachment 726201

So basically you need to bet on the idea that all other metrics are skewed by him facing 100-200 more high danger shots against than most starters. That is insane but still a dangerous bet to make, and the fact that the Gibson, Hart, and Hellebuyck trade talk is deader than dead makes me think no GM is interested in meeting the asking prices these GMs are hoping for.

link

Based off of the absurd amount of high danger shots he faces vs his peers this is exactly what I think his problem is.

Now do GSAx.

We can talk about it, as soon as you take into account the insane amount of high danger shots he faces relative to his peers.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
No it meant they’re likely gonna have to take some cap back one way or another if they’re gonna move him right now.

No one can or will absorb his contract without sending something back
Yes I understand that. I’m just telling you what you actually said and how it would be interpreted by anyone reading it. I didn’t think we’d be shedding his contract and that would be it. Trust me.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I said it before and I say it now Gibson is a f***ing idiot for re-signing with the Ducks in the first place. He wasted his best years in a tire fire organization and is nothing more than an afterthought at this point of his career.
Anaheim is in the middle of a rebuild, but the organization is nowhere close to being a tire fire. It's a great organization with great owners and a bright future ahead after years of consecutive playoff runs, conference finals appearances and a cup.

rajinikanthfan1

rajinikanthfan1
Jun 25, 2006
North Delta
edmonton needs a goalie
winnepeg needs a goalie if they trade connor gets traded
columbus needs a goalie he would be an upgrade
chicago needs a goalie

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I understand why fans from around the league (as well as some of our fans) lost faith in Gibson, he has times where he not only looked weak, but looked like he didn’t give a damn. I believe there’s a ton of frustration with the lack of d and protection, but still…..
However…..
I’ve watched him enough that I’d rather keep him than dump him. He single handed kept us in a lot of games we were being embarrassed in. We were far worse than our record.

I’m not arguing about value, I understand the thoughts on both sides, but I truly believe Gibson on a disciplined D team would turn into “I can’t believe the Ducks gave him away”.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What amuses me is how many people want Gibson but will say he's awful goalie. If he's that awful of a goalie then why do you want him on ur team ? Maybe just forget about him then.

Reactions: Yemeth and MCB

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I understand why fans from around the league (as well as some of our fans) lost faith in Gibson, he has times where he not only looked weak, but looked like he didn’t give a damn. I believe there’s a ton of frustration with the lack of d and protection, but still…..
However…..
I’ve watched him enough that I’d rather keep him than dump him. He single handed kept us in a lot of games we were being embarrassed in. We were far worse than our record.

I’m not arguing about value, I understand the thoughts on both sides, but I truly believe Gibson on a disciplined D team would turn into “I can’t believe the Ducks gave him away”.
Agreed. Best case scenario we keep him, play much better and more structured and he wants to stay.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gibson is an elite goalie, his numbers lately don't reflect that but goalies are susceptible to horrible defense and forwards more commited to pulling Michigans in 4-1 losses than back checking.

I would put Gibson in the 6-10 range in the world for goalies if he finds the right team. There is no reason to believe he couldnt put up Georgiev numbers if he played for the avs (40W-918SVV).

Would probably be about 33W .912 on the Sabres next season

1-6 in no particular order:
Hellybuck, Ullmark, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Oettinger, Vasilevsky,

6-10 range
Saros, Georgiev, Gibson, Andersen, Jarry, Markstrom

Its a shame he didnt end up in Ottawa,
A top 10 like that should just stop at 7.

What amuses me is how many people want Gibson but will say he's awful goalie. If he's that awful of a goalie then why do you want him on ur team ? Maybe just forget about him then.
Because he's probably better than the awful goalie we would be sending back to the Ducks.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Gibson is an elite goalie, his numbers lately don't reflect that but goalies are susceptible to horrible defense and forwards more commited to pulling Michigans in 4-1 losses than back checking.

I would put Gibson in the 6-10 range in the world for goalies if he finds the right team. There is no reason to believe he couldnt put up Georgiev numbers if he played for the avs (40W-918SVV).

Would probably be about 33W .912 on the Sabres next season

1-6 in no particular order:
Hellybuck, Ullmark, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Oettinger, Vasilevsky,

6-10 range
Saros, Georgiev, Gibson, Andersen, Jarry, Markstrom

Its a shame he didnt end up in Ottawa,
Our best player trying a Michigan a couple times a season at the opposite end of the ice had nothing to do with how rotten our Defense and system was but good try. The rest i can get behind.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Our best player trying a Michigan a couple times a season at the opposite end of the ice had nothing to do with how rotten our Defense and system was but good try. The rest i can get behind.
He's a minus 24 last season however you want to slice it

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
However…..

23-47-12
31-37-14
17-30-9
29-33-9

far worse?

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I am not convinced a deal is gonna get done here. cap space is precious right now & not many teams have any semblance of it. plus, the value anaheim places on him vs. any potential trade partner(s) seems to likely be a sizable gap. that, combined with the salary/term, makes this an extremely difficult match to find IMO.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think it's similar to what most Duck fans thought from the beginning. Gibson asked to be traded to a contender and PV told him he'll try to if it works for us too. I don't think Gibby wants to necessarily be traded off the Ducks, but more about wanting to have a chance to go to a contender.

Personally, I don't see a trade happening this offseason. Too little cap space, and even though the eye test, for those who watched our games last year, illustrates how he's still a top 10 goalie in the league, his numbers weren't great. I think he's on our team to start the year, and that's just fine with 95+% of Duck fans.

Reactions: Rec T

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Did you know that pretty much everyone on a bad team (like ANA) will have a huge minus stat, just like how almost everyone on a good team (like BOS or NJD this season) will have a huge plus stat for the season - regardless of how good that player is? This is the biggest criticism of +/-, it doesn't paint the whole picture, especially if a team is really good or really bad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think it's similar to what most Duck fans thought from the beginning. Gibson asked to be traded to a contender and PV told him he'll try to if it works for us too. I don't think Gibby wants to necessarily be traded off the Ducks, but more about wanting to have a chance to go to a contender.

Personally, I don't see a trade happening this offseason. Too little cap space, and even though the eye test, for those who watched our games last year, illustrates how he's still a top 10 goalie in the league, his numbers weren't great. I think he's on our team to start the year, and that's just fine with 95+% of Duck fans.
Another reason is that the Ducks aren't going to want to bend over backwards to facilitate him leaving

In a lot of situations, a bottom feeder might not mind to do just that, to get some assets instead of having an expensive player languishing and unhappy, even if selling on the low side, and with retention. However, I do not think that the Ducks see themselves as a guaranteed bottom feeder. In this league, parity is king. They didn't sign Killorn and Gudas because they thought they'd make a run for 1st overall again. The Ducks have talent that might start clicking. I don't see why they'd want to kill the odds of that happening by getting rid of the top goalie. I know he's maybe asking out, but if the team is winning he'd gladly stay, so maybe the move is to see how the season plays out at this point, and potentially do a deadline deal to send Gibson out if things don't go well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duck Off

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Zegras while certainly not being a selke finalist and could use some improvements to his 200’ game certainly isn’t the issue and +/- on almost any team, let alone one of the worst defensive teams of all time is a hilarious stat to use to decide what his games like.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Another reason is that the Ducks aren't going to want to bend over backwards to facilitate him leaving

In a lot of situations, a bottom feeder might not mind to do just that, to get some assets instead of having an expensive player languishing and unhappy, even if selling on the low side, and with retention. However, I do not think that the Ducks see themselves as a guaranteed bottom feeder. In this league, parity is king. They didn't sign Killorn and Gudas because they thought they'd make a run for 1st overall again. The Ducks have talent that might start clicking. I don't see why they'd want to kill the odds of that happening by getting rid of the top goalie. I know he's maybe asking out, but if the team is winning he'd gladly stay, so maybe the move is to see how the season plays out at this point, and potentially do a deadline deal to send Gibson out if things don't go well.

Exactly this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad