John Forslund named Seattle Kraken TV voice

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Just thought to point this out if the team went with NBCSNW instead of root sports, Fans that have Sling wouldn't been able to watch any of the games and would have to find another streaming provide that has NBCSNW. Sling is dropping NBC regional networks. There issues like that on tv networks where providers drop networks but it can easilly be the same with streaming providers dropping networks.

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
Bad move for Forslund. He is doing NBC Sports. He could easily be the #2 or #3 voice for ESPN/ABC/NBC

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Bad move for Forslund. He is doing NBC Sports. He could easily be the #2 or #3 voice for ESPN/ABC/NBC

How so? I believe most of NBC's guys are contract/part time and they also have local or other assignments, ESPN may use or hire some full timers but most likely they will also be used for studio shows or calling other events (College bb/fb ect) I don't believe Forslund has done much outside of hockey pbp. At least some of ESPN people will also only be part time. I still think its likely Forslund will get some national assignments plus being full time with the Kraken.

Its likely most people saw this NHL back on ESPN with 7-year multiplatform deal ESPN is getting part of the next tv deal. The biggest change and some aren't going to like it, 75 national games are going to be streaming only, its likely 1-3+ times a year Kraken games will only be on espn+/hulu. But ESPN+ is going to have the out of market package replacing NHL.tv, A good deal money wise for those that also have interest in other teams which I know some Kraken fans are.

Last edited:

David Mandel

Mar 11, 2021
No local tv/radio guy does anything for the national brand except for the playoffs if their team is out. Forslund might want to be a local guy which is cool. He is great!

I do know Mike Tirico has become a massive hockey pbp guy and is outstanding and it shows in his passion that he wants to do this full-time. Maybe Tirico goes back to ABC/ESPN if NBC doesn't get the other half.

But he wouldn't be doing any of the specialty games which sucks. Tirico said he wants to be at NBC to do Notre Dame Football and NHL. So I think NBC and tirico are very upset with the NHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No local tv/radio guy does anything for the national brand except for the playoffs if their team is out. Forslund might want to be a local guy which is cool. He is great!

I do know Mike Tirico has become a massive hockey pbp guy and is outstanding and it shows in his passion that he wants to do this full-time. Maybe Tirico goes back to ABC/ESPN if NBC doesn't get the other half.

But he wouldn't be doing any of the specialty games which sucks. Tirico said he wants to be at NBC to do Notre Dame Football and NHL. So I think NBC and tirico are very upset with the NHL
Tirico remains at NBC independent of the NHL.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
FYI the rumors have gone to 11 in Portland that, with the impending demise of NBCSNs, ROOT will pick up the Blazers.

Guess what that means when conflicts exist.

Is Gonzaga the loser here?

Regional RSNs for NBC Sports network is not impacted by the national NBCSN going away.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
The other side of the rumor is that NBCSN NW is going away.

It’s the last year of Blazers contract. If the team leaves nbcsn nw the channel likely shuts down with no other teams...for Kraken fans in Portland you probably don’t want the Blazers on Root, you’re be dealing with sub channels and some providers are very slow in adding them.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I'm not a "cord cutter" guy, so, I will happily pay $150+ a year to see my teams on the Center Ice package. Less stress to me than wondering if the local channel will have that night's game on or not.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm not a "cord cutter" guy, so, I will happily pay $150+ a year to see my teams on the Center Ice package. Less stress to me than wondering if the local channel will have that night's game on or not.
If you are in the PNW and want to watch the Kraken on Center Ice, they will be blacked out

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
If you are in the PNW and want to watch the Kraken on Center Ice, they will be blacked out

Blacked out on both team broadcasts (Seattle and their opponents), or just Seattle's? I'm just figuring if the Blazers go on ROOT, and their games get priority over the Kraken some nights, that CI would be the way to watch them.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Blacked out on both team broadcasts (Seattle and their opponents), or just Seattle's? I'm just figuring if the Blazers go on ROOT, and their games get priority over the Kraken some nights, that CI would be the way to watch them.
If your TV or IP says you are in Seattle market/coverage area, you will not be able to get any Kraken games live on Center Ice, either home or away feeds. this is the same for all major sports leagues

per NHL.com
Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. In certain regions, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. After 48 hours the full-length game replays will be available in the game archive of NHL.TV™. For guidance regarding local blackouts in your area, please enter your zip code above. If you are traveling, blackouts will be enforced according to your current location by the IP address from which you are accessing NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™.

per CenterIce
"Catch up to 40 out of market games per week"

VPNs sometime work to change your IP location but not always in my experience.

Reactions: Puckrobber

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If your TV or IP says you are in Seattle market/coverage area, you will not be able to get any Kraken games live on Center Ice, either home or away feeds. this is the same for all major sports leagues

per NHL.com
Games broadcast on local and national television in your area are subject to blackouts in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. In certain regions, if a game is available for you to view on television in your local viewing area, then it will not be available to watch live in NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™. After 48 hours the full-length game replays will be available in the game archive of NHL.TV™. For guidance regarding local blackouts in your area, please enter your zip code above. If you are traveling, blackouts will be enforced according to your current location by the IP address from which you are accessing NHL.TV™ and NHL Premium™.

per CenterIce
"Catch up to 40 out of market games per week"
NHL TV won't likely exist by the time the Kraken begin, under the new contract with ESPN, tank.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Got it. I've had CI for several years, but, didn't live in a "home" area before. Didn't have to worry about blackouts. I'm looking into moving down to Nevada or Arizona later this year, so, might not have to worry about the Blazers much anyway.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Nuances to the rumors in this morning’s radio interview in Portland. 10 minutes of listening. A little bit of speculation that Root might even be interested in a two-channel setup.

Maury Brown 3-15-21
they would have to portland NBA , portland MLS, Seattle baseball and Seattle NHL is a lot Now and possible return of Seattle NBA at some point thats would be 4-5 all on the same network.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
NHL TV won't likely exist by the time the Kraken begin, under the new contract with ESPN, tank.

My point was about the local market blackout rules and if someone was hoping to use Center Ice or ESPN or whatever for catching local team (Kraken) coverage, it won't work. ESPN+ still does local blackouts too. When in Seattle, I cannot watch MLS Sounders games in Seattle on that ESPN+ since it's on some other means locally. Similarly, when on my work VPN (Chicago) I cannot watch any game involving a Chicago team on ESPN+ or MLB.tv or Center Ice.

The Kraken know that they need a streaming option and there should still be an offering for local consumers. MLS Sounders have their games on local Seattle TV and also streams on Amazon Prime. Hitch is that the TV games are available on over the air network.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My point was about the local market blackout rules and if someone was hoping to use Center Ice or ESPN or whatever for catching local team (Kraken) coverage, it won't work. ESPN+ still does local blackouts too. When in Seattle, I cannot watch MLS Sounders games in Seattle on that ESPN+ since it's on some other means locally. Similarly, when on my work VPN (Chicago) I cannot watch any game involving a Chicago team on ESPN+ or MLB.tv or Center Ice.

The Kraken know that they need a streaming option and there should still be an offering for local consumers. MLS Sounders have their games on local Seattle TV and also streams on Amazon Prime. Hitch is that the TV games are available on over the air network.
if you read the CI thread, though... CI likely isn't the end game for those who use it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

As long as streaming and TV are tied into the same deal, Seattle doesn't have much choice to go with what the tv network (root) has for streaming which is just AT&T now.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As long as streaming and TV are tied into the same deal, Seattle doesn't have much choice to go with what the tv network (root) has for streaming which is just AT&T now.
In todays age seems strange that there are more options for getting a channel via Cable/Satellite than streaming. ATT Now is the only one with the Streaming option for Root but you can get it via DirecTV, Dish, Xfinity, etc if you choose to go the cable/satellite route.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In todays age seems strange that there are more options for getting a channel via Cable/Satellite than streaming. ATT Now is the only one with the Streaming option for Root but you can get it via DirecTV, Dish, Xfinity, etc if you choose to go the cable/satellite route.
root sports is more accessible on than nbcsnw regional wise.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Though, luckily for me, in the US only.

It would be absolute crap if ESPN and their ESPN Player took over in Europe given that they're apps are mostly not even accessable on TV's/fire stick and I would be relegated to watching it on my PC or phone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad