John Forslund named Seattle Kraken TV voice

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Oh, I am 100% sure this person does not know what the plans by the Kraken are. Hoping that they do offer a streaming option.

Some things do take time to get things done. Seriously though yes streaming is becoming more of a bigger thing but not everyone has internet capabilities to provide a good smooth stream. Its also a lot easier to flip to a tv channel then to go through extra steps just to watch it. Some fans aren't as tech savvy as others.

People do need to understand and the respect that there are a group of the fan base that just doesn't have internet that is good enough for streaming and not ignore them to the point that they do not exist. (and yes some people are behaving like that.)

Btw NBCSN NW would be a far worse choice for TV since only cable tv provides have that network and not non cable tv providers. Some would rather it be 100% streaming only and well forget everyone else as if they don't exist.

Again only time will tell.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Some things do take time to get things done. Seriously though yes streaming is becoming more of a bigger thing but not everyone has internet capabilities to provide a good smooth stream. Its also a lot easier to flip to a tv channel then to go through extra steps just to watch it. Some fans aren't as tech savvy as others.

People do need to understand and the respect that there are a group of the fan base that just doesn't have internet that is good enough for streaming and not ignore them to the point that they do not exist. (and yes some people are behaving like that.)

Btw NBCSN NW would be a far worse choice for TV since only cable tv provides have that network and not non cable tv providers. Some would rather it be 100% streaming only and well forget everyone else as if they don't exist.

Again only time will tell.

Is ROOT available outside of Cable TV? Its not an OTA channel is it?

I think at this time the best (and really only) thing to do is wait and see how things play out. Worst case, I will switch to ATT Now if I have to in October.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is ROOT available outside of Cable TV? Its not an OTA channel is it?

I think at this time the best (and really only) thing to do is wait and see how things play out. Worst case, I will switch to ATT Now if I have to in October.

no its a non OTA channel. So you have to subscribe to a TV package from any regional tv provider that that provides a tv package which has it included. But its not limited to Cable tv service like NBCSN NW is so non cable tv providers should carry it. NBCSN NW isn't carried by other non cable tv providers. So there is a worse option that the team could have gone with.

Unfortunately Some people would rather have the team go NBCSN NW instead just for streaming but make it impossible for other people who get TV service from non cable providers. The issue goes both ways. The only best option is have a TV option and a streaming option for those cord cutters. There are even some that prefer 100% streaming only and no TV network option.

I wish people understand that there are people that still rely on some sort of tv service (non cable tv) to watch stuff and don't really have any other capable means to watch stuff like good enough internet connection that allows viable stream. There are also non tech savvy people that would rather just flip a channel then go through a lot of hoops just to watch tv shows.

NFL is the only sport league that has over the air TV deals with CBS, NBC and FOX the rest are on non OTA tv deals.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
no its a non OTA channel. So you have to subscribe to a TV package from any regional tv provider that that provides a tv package which has it included. But its not limited to Cable tv service like NBCSN NW is so non cable tv providers should carry it. NBCSN NW isn't carried by other non cable tv providers. So there is a worse option that the team could have gone with.

Unfortunately Some people would rather have the team go NBCSN NW instead just for streaming but make it impossible for other people who get TV service from non cable providers. The issue goes both ways. The only best option is have a TV option and a streaming option for those cord cutters. There are even some that prefer 100% streaming only and no TV network option.

I wish people understand that there are people that still rely on some sort of tv service (non cable tv) to watch stuff and don't really have any other capable means to watch stuff like good enough internet connection that allows viable stream. There are also non tech savvy people that would rather just flip a channel then go through a lot of hoops just to watch tv shows.

NFL is the only sport league that has over the air TV deals with CBS, NBC and FOX the rest are on non OTA tv deals.

Right. I think going with ROOT basically gives other streaming providers an option to carry the channel. Its just that at this time ATT Now is the only one that does that. Ofcourse that could change between now and October. Heck, like you said, we could even get a streaming options offered (though I don't expect that to happen).

I totally agree with you on the fact that only a streaming option is not viable. Slow internet or even folks not comfortable with technology would rather just stick to cable tv.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Right. I think going with ROOT basically gives other streaming providers an option to carry the channel. Its just that at this time ATT Now is the only one that does that. Ofcourse that could change between now and October. Heck, like you said, we could even get a streaming options offered (though I don't expect that to happen).

I totally agree with you on the fact that only a streaming option is not viable. Slow internet or even folks not comfortable with technology would rather just stick to cable tv.

Going with Root sports gets them on tv in sports bars in 5 states. They need maximize the exposure of the team and well going with something that has a better streaming option but weaker tv coverage isn't the solution.

we are just going to have to wait and find out what will happen. We could just have to deal with AT&T Now until root is on other streaming services as far as we know. Nothing we can do about it sadly. It is what it is. There really is no exactly alternative tv network that appeases both crowds with out a new RSN being formed which is gonna run into problems of lacking content.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This exempts Carolina from the expansion draft right?

Nope, only the Hartford Whalers. :D

Otherwise just another great appointment by the team and I hope that there'll be a solution for everyone in regards to the broadcasts.
Over here the only option I've got is Game Center if I want to be able to decide which games to watch.

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
You guys are getting another class act from the Canes stable! John will help smooth out the start up bumps, he's been here before.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
It does look like outside of the panhandle of Idaho that Root NW wont be carrying Kraken games in Idaho and Montana, the channel will continue to air Jazz and Golden Knight games.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I think it is crazy to see the outlash against Root sports. It is the Seattle sports network. There isn't a Fox Sports NW and NBC Sports NW is essentially the Portland sports network. For geography TV reach, this is the best option. Putting it on Joe TV or KONG (local FOX & NBC #2 stations) get you OTA in just Seattle. Maybe they work out a solution to simulcast games to the OTA crowd on like channel 22.4

The streaming aspect it a whole other issue. Root App only lets you stream if you have cable and local blackout rules impact the NHL.tv or Center Ice packages. I would assume something is coming with Amazon for the Kraken regarding streaming similar to how Sounders games are available on Prime while also broadcast on TV.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think it is crazy to see the outlash against Root sports. It is the Seattle sports network. There isn't a Fox Sports NW and NBC Sports NW is essentially the Portland sports network. For geography TV reach, this is the best option. Putting it on Joe TV or KONG (local FOX & NBC #2 stations) get you OTA in just Seattle. Maybe they work out a solution to simulcast games to the OTA crowd on like channel 22.4

The streaming aspect it a whole other issue. Root App only lets you stream if you have cable and local blackout rules impact the NHL.tv or Center Ice packages. I would assume something is coming with Amazon for the Kraken regarding streaming similar to how Sounders games are available on Prime while also broadcast on TV.

Comcast users don't even have access to the root app to stream.

Btw Root sports was Fox Sports NW before being rebranded.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Comcast users don't even have access to the root app to stream.

Btw Root sports was Fox Sports NW before being rebranded.

Yes Root NW was FSNW but no longer a FOX entity like many others. Root is like in Pittsburgh, Houston & Rocky Mountain area (Den-SLC-LV). Seems like the other 3 have all been rebranded as AT&T SportsNet stations and NW is the only one still as "Root". the Houston one was a Comcast RSN before joining the Root/AT&T family. Essentially, Kraken could have made their own network or gone in partnership with an existing one. They went with the latter which is likely the easiest.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes Root NW was FSNW but no longer a FOX entity like many others. Root is like in Pittsburgh, Houston & Rocky Mountain area (Den-SLC-LV). Seems like the other 3 have all been rebranded as AT&T SportsNet stations and NW is the only one still as "Root". the Houston one was a Comcast RSN before joining the Root/AT&T family. Essentially, Kraken could have made their own network or gone in partnership with an existing one. They went with the latter which is likely the easiest.

From the little reading I have done after the last few days seems like the Kraken organization took the path of easy money and least resistance in making this decision. Can't say I blame them as a business but it could put the local fans in a tough position unless they offer some streaming choices.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
I do believe HuluTV, YoutubeTV and FuboTV all have a carriage deals for Comcast NW? if that's the case at least in the Seattle market those 3 will surpass or already surpass Dish and Directv + ATT in subscribers. Satellite is losing subs at a rapid pace. Root does have Alaska and the Idaho panhandle subs though...

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I do believe HuluTV, YoutubeTV and FuboTV all have a carriage deals for Comcast NW? if that's the case at least in the Seattle market those 3 will surpass or already surpass Dish and Directv + ATT in subscribers. Satellite is losing subs at a rapid pace. Root does have Alaska and the Idaho panhandle subs though...

Problem is NBCSNW is a cable channel only. Yes it has better streaming but you basically lose half the households and sports bar that don't have access to cable tv service.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Problem is NBCSNW is a cable channel only. Yes it has better streaming but you basically lose half the households and sports bar that don't have access to cable tv service.

In Western Washington Satellite TV doesn't even come close to half households, it's less than 10% and getting smaller everyday. streaming is right around that number and increasing, its similar with Portland too. satellite has somewhat better numbers outside of those DMA's but the population is a lot less.

With what I know with sports bars they need a business account if they have Directv and they get feeds that home accounts don't, probably though Center Ice.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In Western Washington Satellite TV is not doesn't even come close to half households, it's less than 10% and getting smaller everyday. streaming is right around that number and increasing, its similar with Portland too. satellite has somewhat better numbers outside of those DMA's but the population is a lot less.

With what I know with sports bars they need a business account if they have Directv and they get feeds that home accounts don't, probably though Center Ice.

Not everyone lives in western Washington and so lets not ignore the rest of the pacific northwest that doesn't have access to cable tv.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
To be fair I don't know how carriage of NBCSNW on cable outside of Comcast is though out Washington? There's many small cable companies in rural areas of the state, Root NW is most likely to be on most systems.

doublejman

Oct 28, 2016
Not everyone lives in western Washington and so lets not ignore the rest of the pacific northwest that doesn't have access to cable tv.

But even outside of the Seattle market, satellite at its largest is at 12-15%, not even close to half.

Maybe root will get some streaming deals done but right now Root is on services that are losing subscribers and NBCSNW is on services that are adding subs.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is true. But lets also not ignore the fact that majority of the population is concentrated in big cities where satellite is pretty rare to find. Heck, I live in a fairly rural area myself but people here have been moving away from satellite as well.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is true. But lets also not ignore the fact that majority of the population is concentrated in big cities where satellite is pretty rare to find. Heck, I live in a fairly rural area myself but people here have been moving away from satellite as well.

So Seattle must cut off people then that have no other means of tv just to make the streamers happy? Let just tell alaska that no one cares about your region...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Who is talking about cutting people off? We are talking about having more choices is all.

I am all for more options as long as everyone gets access to games but there are people that don't care if some other region has no access to games as long as they can stream the games themselves. I gotten into few arguments over that. Alaska for example. One of the comments responses i gotten was basically those Alaskan people should just move and live somewhere else if they want to watch sports. At that point i just stopped responding to comments on the issue. (reddit and facebook for that matter)

It a very very complicated issue that not everyone really understands not even If fully understand it completely. Right there is no RSN in the PNW that address both problems. Btw look at the colorado's main RSN Altitude and comcast mess. People with comcast still can't not watch any sport teams that are on that Altitude network and the RSN and Comcast are currently suing each other over the issue. If that never ending money dispute between the networks and the providers never ever actually exist in the first place maybe we would be on NBCSNW instead of root sports.

Even if root sports were on multiple streaming options, the whole network and service provider dispute over money can happen with any streaming services too and what ever streaming service people are on that provider can cut access off from anyone if they feel like the network is going to charge them too much money.

And that has happened with youtube TV and several RSNs. And the network and service provider ended pointing figures at each other and getting people to go complain at one another over the issue. Its a very very annoying mess. I hope that comcast/Altitude court tells both sides to knock it and puts the issue between network and provider to bed temperamentally
As long as streaming and TV networks are basically tied together (they really need to be separated) there can never be a solution that doesn't involve at some point people losing access over money disputes.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am all for more options as long as everyone gets access to games but there are people that don't care if some other region has no access to games as long as they can stream the games themselves. I gotten into few arguments over that. Alaska for example. One of the comments responses i gotten was basically those Alaskan people should just move and live somewhere else if they want to watch sports. At that point i just stopped responding to comments on the issue. (reddit and facebook for that matter)

It a very very complicated issue that not everyone really understands not even If fully understand it completely. Right there is no RSN in the PNW that address both problems. Btw look at the colorado's main RSN Altitude and comcast mess. People with comcast still can't not watch any sport teams that are on that Altitude network and the RSN and Comcast are currently suing each other over the issue. If that never ending money dispute between the networks and the providers never ever actually exist in the first place maybe we would be on NBCSNW instead of root sports.

Even if root sports were on multiple streaming options, the whole network and service provider dispute over money can happen with any streaming services too and what ever streaming service people are on that provider can cut access off from anyone if they feel like the network is going to charge them too much money.

And that has happened with youtube TV and several RSNs. And the network and service provider ended pointing figures at each other and getting people to go complain at one another over the issue. Its a very very annoying mess. I hope that comcast/Altitude court tells both sides to knock it and puts the issue between network and provider to bed temperamentally
As long as streaming and TV networks are basically tied together (they really need to be separated) there can never be a solution that doesn't involve at some point people losing access over money disputes.
Man. It may sound selfish but I give more of a crap about how many local fans get to follow the team than the fans in Alaska. Call me selfish or whatever but the truth is that if it came to pick one fanbase I would always pick the one that gives local viewers the best options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->