Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
its hard to know what Green's market will look like based on his availability to play. If the Caps could make it work, I wouldn't have any issues with him on the 3rd pair. Sounded like his all around game was pretty solid in Detroit.

Reactions: calicapsfan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think everyone would be overly disappointed with Green if he ended back here. older and slower then we remembered, will probably miss time with injuries, not score as much and still have issues in the D zone. No thanks.

I'd only take Green back here if we could also get Sasha Semin too!

As long as we're going backwards, might as well floor it!

More seriously, I think we just learned we can win a Cup with 3 or 4 rookies getting regular shifts, if they're the right 3 or 4 rookies. I'd continue to give the kids PT and sort out what we need at the TDL. All assuming we can't retain JC7474 and Kempny. Because frankly if we do keep all 6 D men, we're winning another Cup. /thread:)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Wow Mike Green is really underrated now, dude is basically an injury prone Niskanen at this point

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
its hard to know what Green's market will look like based on his availability to play. If the Caps could make it work, I wouldn't have any issues with him on the 3rd pair. Sounded like his all around game was pretty solid in Detroit.

3rd pair, I’d probably be ok with it....to replace Carlson.....or try to bridge the gap....no thanks.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I think Caps have two key adventages over other teams:
1) They can offer an 8-year deal while others only 7-year.
2) Under equal conditions Carlson is gonna choose Caps, so other teams have to offer more than Washington.

So, if Caps offered Carlson $60M (7.5x8), other teams would have to offer $63+ (it's more than $9M per year). Do you know the team that would offer him at least 9x7 contract, especially among contenders? Actually, I doubt that other teams (the ones Carlson would be willing to sign with) would/could pay him $8.5+ either, so I believe Caps and JC could agree on 7x8 contract. Anyway, Carlson's new contract with Caps shouldn't be more than $7.5M per year IMO.

Reactions: CapsDC

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
3rd pair, I’d probably be ok with it....to replace Carlson.....or try to bridge the gap....no thanks.
See, I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather Bowey/Djoos play that 3RD if Carlson is back. If Carlson leaves, I think Green is a good option for a PP replacement/3RD. Let Bowey sink or swim as 2RD until the deadline.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
See, I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather Bowey/Djoos play that 3RD if Carlson is back. If Carlson leaves, I think Green is a good option for a PP replacement/3RD. Let Bowey sink or swim as 2RD until the deadline.

About the only thing I think he could admirably replace JC at is on the PP. Defensively I have zero faith in Greenlife in the postseason. None.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m just not very high on Bowey. Granted I haven’t seen anything but a few highlights of his time in Hershey but he just seemed completely overwhelmed at the NHL level. Every other successful D who made the jump from Hershey to Washington (Djoos, Schmidt, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, Green) showed something positive in their rookie year and I just didn’t see much of anything from Bowey to build on. Maybe he’ll make a big jump next season but it was really tough seeing him struggle in all three zones and I’m having difficulty finding what he can accomplish at the NHL level.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel ya. Bowey has been disappointing. Needs a big summer IMO or he may find himself on a plane out of town. I don’t thinks he’s been completely overwhelmed most of the time, just completely underwhelming in his performances.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How did Bowey look on the PP in Hershey? Wait, did he even get significant PP time? I seem to remember him as having offensive upside when we drafted him.

I still contend throwing uncontested passes in an open passing lane is not as difficult as some make it out to be. Just keep passing it back and forth, until Ovi cranks one. Heck, that's all Carlson does. Yes even Carlson struggles to get pucks into Ovi's wheelhouse at times. I will stick to my guns - Ovi does not need John Carlson to score PPGs.

I suspect Blaine is smart enough to figure out how to score goals with Kuz Nick Ovi and Oshie as his core. I think most coaches would kill to have that PP backbone.

It's no surprise to hear Kempny is first in line to get inked. We call that insurance for when Carlson bolts. I would ink Jerabek too who seemed to have a very similar skill set. Especially if he has proven time at RD.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I’m just not very high on Bowey. Granted I haven’t seen anything but a few highlights of his time in Hershey but he just seemed completely overwhelmed at the NHL level. Every other successful D who made the jump from Hershey to Washington (Djoos, Schmidt, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, Green) showed something positive in their rookie year and I just didn’t see much of anything from Bowey to build on. Maybe he’ll make a big jump next season but it was really tough seeing him struggle in all three zones and I’m having difficulty finding what he can accomplish at the NHL level.
As I recall with Alzner his first and second year we use to refer to him as Duncan as in Duncan yo-yo because of him constantly going up and down between the Caps and Hershey. Overall dmen develop slower than forwards. Bowey just turned 23, have some faith. Recall one of the contributors to this board who attends Hershey games note that when Bowey went back down to Hershey this season after Kempny and Jerebek arrived, Bowey was by far the best d-man at Hershey and that he stood out from the rest.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I’m happy with 8x8.

If they can’t do it, they should trade for EK. That’s B2B Potential at its best.
And with Orpik coming off after next season, thinks ease up.
Bura, Gruby, Picks, Orpik all available.

Could we do something along the lines of a 1 year deal for Wilson/Kempny at a lower rate knowing we will have more money after Orpik....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As I recall with Alzner his first and second year we use to refer to him as Duncan as in Duncan yo-yo because of him constantly going up and down between the Caps and Hershey. Overall dmen develop slower than forwards. Bowey just turned 23, have some faith. Recall one of the contributors to this board who attends Hershey games note that when Bowey went back down to Hershey this season after Kempny and Jerebek arrived, Bowey was by far the best d-man at Hershey and that he stood out from the rest.

That was more managing the roster and his years before free agency. Still, he immediately looked like a defensive stalwart...Bowey has just been average at best. I think he’s a legit NHLer and could be good even one day, but underwhelming so far for me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m happy with 8x8.

If they can’t do it, they should trade for EK. That’s B2B Potential at its best.
And with Orpik coming off after next season, thinks ease up.
Bura, Gruby, Picks, Orpik all available.

Could we do something along the lines of a 1 year deal for Wilson/Kempny at a lower rate knowing we will have more money after Orpik....

I don’t see Wilson or Kempny agreeing on a 1 year deal.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I don’t see Wilson or Kempny agreeing on a 1 year deal.
I would only sign Kempny to 3-4 years max anyway. Wilson might do it He'd still be a RFA and could get a better longterm deal if he improves even more which I expect he will. Will be super interesting to see how BMac navigates this off season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also re: Mike Green

If the Pens signed him to league minimum this summer....I’d be hard pressed to find 5 outta 1000 hockey fans that would say that’s bad for the Pens. If you found 5, they’d all be Caps fans. LOL

Pittsburgh is actually one team (among a few others) that I think Green would be an awful fit on. A right side of Letang, Schultz, and Green... all totally redundant players.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
How did Bowey look on the PP in Hershey? Wait, did he even get significant PP time? I seem to remember him as having offensive upside when we drafted him.
Little to no PP time in Hershey. Djoos was alongside Chris Bourque on the first unit for a few years. Bowey would get some time here and there, but nothing significant which I always found odd. Aaron Ness was pretty much the guy if it wasn't Djoos.

This year a majority of the PP time went to Ness, Colby Williams (beginning of the year) and Hobbs. LuJo got 2nd unit time toward the end of the season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I dont care how bad our PP may look sans Carly, I don't want Mike Green back. It's too likely he will be on the ice late in a loff, and do that thing when he thinks he passed the puck, but whiffed.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Little to no PP time in Hershey. Djoos was alongside Chris Bourque on the first unit for a few years. Bowey would get some time here and there, but nothing significant which I always found odd. Aaron Ness was pretty much the guy if it wasn't Djoos.

This year a majority of the PP time went to Ness, Colby Williams (beginning of the year) and Hobbs. LuJo got 2nd unit time toward the end of the season.

Excellent feedback - thanks much. Did Hersh feature the same PP setup we do in Washington? If so, was it ever effective with a left hand shot/D up top, feeding a RH shot in Ovi's office?

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Excellent feedback - thanks much. Did Hersh feature the same PP setup we do in Washington? If so, was it a left hand shot/D up top, feeding a RH shot in Ovi's office?
Not necessarily. When healthy it was usually something like this:

Barber/LOB in the "Oshie" spot in front of the net for deflections and dirty goals
Boyd in the "Backstrom" spot along the boards
Bourque and Ness alternating at the points, both LH shots
Constant rotating door of the 5th guy who kind of played down low and also gave a net front presence.

Needless to say their PP was atrocious.

When Hobbs was out there as the RH sot they'd set him up for some one-timers but not at the "Ovie" spot

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I would only sign Kempny to 3-4 years max anyway. Wilson might do it He'd still be a RFA and could get a better longterm deal if he improves even more which I expect he will. Will be super interesting to see how BMac navigates this off season.

3 or 4 is what I’m thinking for Kempny.

Willy I’d sign for 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad