Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
You all make it sound like 500k a year is nothing. His looking 8 or more years and it adds to 4 or more millions. No matter how much you make, that money is absurd to just throw away.

And its propably not about getting 7,5 from us and 8 from elsewhere. After the season (and career) he has had i can easily see few teams coming in hard. Benning has billions of cap space to use and is rumoured to be very active currently. McPhee was seriously after EK in the TDL, knowing EK will ask for 10 millions after a year, and bulked only for the assets he has to give. I can see him offering 9 mills for Carlson and save all his assets, no? At that point it gets to about 12 mills total difference compared to 7,5 aav.

If he signs 8/8 with us, its a home discount and we will be lucky to have him.

JC has already played plenty of his prime years with a discount deal, so downballing here is also not a smart move to keep him happy. The players do have a lot of pride in play aswell.

Im a little concerned for the fact we were testing the water for a big fish RD (like EK) at the TDL too. That might mean Brian already knew JC wants to test the FA. Or it might mean nothing, who knows.

My ”take it or leave it” number would be 8,5 but obviously would play hardest of the hard ball to get it done with less before july 1. If its not enough Mike Green is a serious option. He would be only a partial replacement as he cant replace JC on ES, so we would need Djoos to step up his game or get another guy to play top4. It should leave us cap space to make a big splash on TDL though so there is a chance we could survive losing JC.

Jun 15, 2007
Ekman larssson just got an 8 year 8 mil extension with coyotes. How does this affect carlson?
If you're cynical you might say that means more teams are willing to open the vault for Carlson since they missed out on OEL. Which of course drives his price up.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I guess I don't have a walk number. Carlson reportedly has said he wants to stay and I think it gets done. If he leaves they are screwed and any plan would be a significant step backward. Orlov just isn't an option. My guess is they would use Niskanen as they have in the past. Bowey isn't an option. I am not sure he is even good enough to make the team. To plan on him on pp1 as the facilitator of their best source of goals is awful.

There may be a right shot defenseman that is solid on the pp that could be gotten. A Justin Fault perhaps. If he walks there are no good options. only bad and worse.
Are you down on Bowey in general or just next year?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d be shocked if Carlson didn’t sign at 8/8. If he wants to stay in DC, he will sign a deal just like that.

He saw Alzner get trashed in Montreal. He saw Green lose consistently in a Detroit. He just won the Cup in the only home he’s ever known. He seems a simple guy. He’s lined up to make more money than he probably ever dreamed of. Unless he gets some really bad advice, or he really doesn’t like someone in the coaching staff etc....he’s here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you down on Bowey in general or just next year?

I am not necessarily down on Bowey. Defensemen take a while to develop. Based on this season there is no sure thing that Bowey isn't beaten out for a spot by a younger defenseman. If his game improves enough to make the team and play 3rd pair every game, he is still in no position to take a primary role in something as important as the Capitals power play.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Is it?

Green is often injured, and sucks in the playoffs. Why give him minutes? ****ing Kempny was better for the Caps.

As for Carlson, they must re-sign him, and anyone suggesting otherwise is a clown.

Not taking Green at Vet Minimum? Yes, that’s silly. He can get waived. He can get banished to Hershey without penalty to the team. The ceiling is FAR higher than the floor. Frankly, their isn’t a floor to a vet signing a minimum contract.

Of course Kempny was good. That’s irrelevant to Green. The premise is that we’ve lost Carlson, so what do we do? We’d pass up Green at a Vet minimum? Seriously? That’s just LOL.

So again.....it’s silly to say that.

Edit —And why so harsh? Calling people clowns? Turn it down a notch. We are Cup Champs. No place for vitriol.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrnEggsNHam

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not that it means much (or anything), but Carlson posted on Instagram a picture of his house with the front fence decorated with signs made by Caps fans. The caption is: jc7474 Was amazed by all the support that stood with us over all these years! Caps family!

He’s so staying. He can sign an 8m contract and suck balls for 2years, and we simply won’t freaking care. Picture this:

Caps fan “Carlson is playing like crap!!!”
Buddy fan “yeahs, but he was a huge part of our Cup win 2yrs ago....???”
Caps fan “oh hell yeah!! Champs!!!” (As warm haze falls over them both)

Now he signs with random team X for 8.5m

Team X’s fan “Carlson Sucks, whyz did we Pay that guy to ruin our salary structure??l
Buddy fan “totally, I’m gonna bomb his Twitter acct w Rantings and ravings, and yell at him all next home game!!”
Team X’s fan “with you, I’m gonna text All our buddyz to do the same thing!! Who’s bringing the Beerz???” (As angry vitriol spills out and carries over)

Huh. I wonder —

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not taking Green at Vet Minimum? Yes, that’s silly. He can get waived. He can get banished to Hershey without penalty to the team. The ceiling is FAR higher than the floor. Frankly, their isn’t a floor to a vet signing a minimum contract.

Of course Kempny was good. That’s irrelevant to Green. The premise is that we’ve lost Carlson, so what do we do? We’d pass up Green at a Vet minimum? Seriously? That’s just LOL.

So again.....it’s silly to say that.

Edit —And why so harsh? Calling people clowns? Turn it down a notch. We are Cup Champs. No place for vitriol.

I ask this as a huge Greenie fan......Is Mike Green a guy you see winning a Cup with? The load the top 6 just carried, I just don’t see him having that makeup.

But since a vet minimum deal is a fantasy.....

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I ask this as a huge Greenie fan......Is Mike Green a guy you see winning a Cup with? The load the top 6 just carried, I just don’t see him having that makeup.

But since a vet minimum deal is a fantasy.....

Again, we lose Carlson in this scenario, right?

We won’t win the Cup again anyway. Unless they somehow manage to trade for Karlsson, E. Even a Faulk fantasy trade may not do it.

So— Green would plug a hole. That’s all.

And NO Chance he signs for vet min anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson or no, Mike Green isn’t helping win a Cup, so I’d pass in a “fill the Carlson gap” last gasp move.

I’d rather be more creative in the trade market (or maybe a Nisky type add in UFA if lucky) to fill that loss more capably.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Carlson or no, Mike Green isn’t helping win a Cup, so I’d pass in a “fill the Carlson gap” last gasp move.

I’d rather be more creative in the trade market (or maybe a Nisky type add in UFA if lucky) to fill that loss more capably.

How many current Caps (and coaches/GM) were said couldn’t help “win a Cup”? I’m not trying to change your mind, but if this season just proved anything, it’s that some old adages don’t live forever.

Just saying....

Reactions: Roshi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad