Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
OEL has had better production by far. If that’s the measuring stick. 8x8 should be all it takes.

Planning on future UFA availability is folly....very McPhee’esqe.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Hey Tinner, there will always be those that complain about players in down years. The more rational fans get it and don’t start pissing fire when a guy shows he’s human and has an off year.

Welcome to the salary cap world.

True that. But it’s easy to get swept up in emotion and to give out contracts based off of career years and end up in situations that cripple your team going forward too

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
OEL has had better production by far. If that’s the measuring stick. 8x8 should be all it takes.

Planning on future UFA availability is folly....very McPhee’esqe.

I do not think that is how his agent will think especially considering the weak pool of Dmen this year.

Personally I would go with youth anyhow

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Look at the UFA group of D the year after this one. It’s impressive to say the least. Having cap flexibility will be nice while letting young players grow

Again comes down to cost. Carlson’s agent says the number STARTS at 8x8. That was before the OEL news too...
So you're prepared to basically punt next year to get the kids some experience and wait for FA D in the offseason?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So you're prepared to basically punt next year to get the kids some experience and wait for FA D in the offseason?

Not really. Kids would be a fall back. TDL if it does t work

I’d definitely explore a replacement like the aforementioned Justin Faulk. There would be other options

We have a compliment of picks, some decent D prospects and a good piece in Grubauer to bid with

Reactions: calicapsfan

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Not really. Kids would be a fall back. TDL if it does t work

I’d definitely explore a replacement like the aforementioned Justin Faulk. There would be other options

We have a compliment of picks, some decent D prospects and a good piece in Grubauer to bid with

I can agree it's an option but imo it's not something to be relied upon, more like a Plan C or D. Deadline deals have rarely worked out for the Caps ... for various reasons, as you know (Feds/Huet being stellar exceptions). Very much a crapshoot regarding players available/assets lost/impact in the room and on team chemistry.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I think we'll be fine with or without JC next year. Besides, I know of a great D-man available who already has his name on a cup!

jeff-schultz-of-the-washington-capitals-poses-for-his-official-for-picture-id90792971

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I agree.

I’ll say this. Whatever BMac does I’ll support 100%

Best GM we’ve ever had and really one of the best in the league
I really had to laugh when I finally saw the post-game interviews after Game 5 in Vegas. Even right in the moment, with the Cup there on the ice with him, MacLellan was so analytical and technical. All the players are gushing and crying and he's talking about the pieces and the scouting and the adjustments. Dude's got a one-track hockey mind. I like it, and it makes me confident that he won't let emotion drive his choices now.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Kuzy and Orlov were younger with more upside. Carlson has peaked and not sure he can repeat what he did this year.

I suspect GMBM will put a final offer of 8x7 and let him walk if he wants more. And even that I feel will end up being sucktastic in a couple years

Let’s go with hungry youth!
Yeah Kuzy and Orlov aren’t great comparables since they were RFAs; Oshie is better since it’s obvious the contract won’t look great at the end but it made more sense to pay one guy who’s a beast in the playoffs every year than 2 guys who disappear. We’ve seen many members of the supporting cast turtle in the playoffs, McPhee was so concerned with value and less about team needs and what was redundant.
Why wouldn’t the vets be able to do the same next year? Is Niskanen THAT much worse of a PP QB?

If so you forget the year before last where he took over for JC

In 2016 I felt one of our issues vs the Pens was JC on the PP. that’s why we went with Niskanen and went out and got shatty in 17

This past year was an aberration for Carlson. Don’t lose sight of that
I felt like the got Shattenkirk so Carlson could play more 5 on 5 minutes because he ran out of gas the year before.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I just don't get it. Just won the Cup, screw putting forth your best effort for the next 3 years with one of the greats of all time to get another..gotta pinch those pennies!!

Reactions: calicapsfan

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah Kuzy and Orlov aren’t great comparables since they were RFAs; Oshie is better since it’s obvious the contract won’t look great at the end but it made more sense to pay one guy who’s a beast in the playoffs every year than 2 guys who disappear. We’ve seen many members of the supporting cast turtle in the playoffs, McPhee was so concerned with value and less about team needs and what was redundant.

I felt like the got Shattenkirk so Carlson could play more 5 on 5 minutes because he ran out of gas the year before.

Good call on Oshie. But in the post article it was Orpik who pressed Bmac to resign Oshie due to his integral part in locker room and positive outlook. Good call on their part

Also shows how much weight Orpik words carry that Bmac would listen to him.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He turned 28 in January. Why do you believe he has peaked?

In terms of point production this year was an abberation.

Also maybe just my eyes but he has lost a half step or so over the years.

I love Carlson don’t get me wrong. But if we are giving him 8 year 68 million+ it’s reasonable to critique value

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I really had to laugh when I finally saw the post-game interviews after Game 5 in Vegas. Even right in the moment, with the Cup there on the ice with him, MacLellan was so analytical and technical. All the players are gushing and crying and he's talking about the pieces and the scouting and the adjustments. Dude's got a one-track hockey mind. I like it and it makes me confident that he won't let emotion drive his choices now.

Yeah true. I also love his candor. It’s great for the fans, media and I bet agents and players really respect it. He’s the opposite of poker face McPhee who had adversarial relationships

Remember the Carrera bombshell article?

Also when Witt was going to retire due to McPhee at one point. boynton went back into draft because of him. Chris Simon sat out part of a season over like 50k. Petty stuff

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Elliotte Friedman just said “he’s probably not going to get [8x8.25M] in Washington.”

Reactions: BobRouse

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Because of supply demand alone, not to mention ongoing desperate and dumb GMs, almost annual bump ups in the cap, I think Carlson will get an offer of 9M, maybe more. Sure Jay Feaster is gone but George is still reeling for not getting Pronger. The list of overpaid D must be well documented by now. 2 of recent note: Wideman 5M+, Green 6M+...

I cannot be the only one unafraid of life on the PP without John Carlson.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRouse

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If we lose Carlson it’s next man up. There will be growing pains.

If Niskanen does take over PP we will have to lighten his PK load. Getting a Good pk damn will be essential.

I saw what Friedman said too. I suspected as much. The extra million-1.5 mil for us is HUGE.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I just don't get it. Just won the Cup, screw putting forth your best effort for the next 3 years with one of the greats of all time to get another..gotta pinch those pennies!!

See it wouldn’t be that exactly. The opposite could be true. We sign him to that deal and Wilson gets his raise we will likely lose all of DSP, Kempny and Beagle and a few extra mil left over for another Dman

Those 3 were pretty critical to our cup run and aren’t easily replaced either.

It’s really a no win situation unless JC hooks us with a hometown discount and I won’t fault him for not doing so since he has been underpaid for years

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Like RH said there are teams with immense cap space who need a RD like him. To them they can easily afford it. Vegas isn’t paying guys like Ovie, Kuzy and Backstrom. Obviously that showed in the finals!
Sure, other teams can give him more per year, but only the Caps can give him the full term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad