Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
beecher is Frederic’s body with kuralys skill. Perfect 3rd line center.

Stud
Coyle
Beecher
Frederic

Future down the middle. Possession nightmare for teams. Also may be a bit of an overreaction to the problems Boston had with possession against St. Louis

Reactions: DKH

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd be very surprised if Beecher doesn't end up as a winger when he turns pro.

I might be a bit disappointed if this is the case- depending on how the org looks. The team needs centers to replace Berg-Krejci. People have also talked about Studnicka playing RW. JFK has gone home and who knows if he will be back? Frederic? Maybe there is something there but his first call-up was rather ass.

Reactions: Strafer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You made it clear you just crap on the picks just because, Not sure how this translates into an opinion or expressing thoughts. The board gets cluttered up with so much nonsense my eyes start to bleed and then I log off and come back later lol

Yeah, more censorship . Not sure when I said that but your free to interpret anyway you like.
If it makes your eyes bleed maybe this is not for you.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Reality is most centers at the amateur level end up as wingers. Top end kids have been likely the best players on their teams for years and the best players play in the middle.

His hockey sense isn't reported to be really high. Not that it's bad, just not exceptional. From that video I saw his hands aren't great, he bobbled a lot of loose pucks and passes. Little bit of Sean Kuraly-like tunnel-vision when carrying the puck on the rush. On the broadcast Burke said he sees this kid as a future big-bodied winger and I agree with him.

His strengths are his skating relative to his size, and his size/strength. Those attributes to me say he's eventually going to be a winger. Playing center in the NHL is really hard in today's era, so much responsibility all over the ice. My first impression are a better skating Pat Maroon.

I'm not trying to be a debbie-downer, I actually have no issues with the pick at all, this organization needs a big-bodied winger in the system as that was one area it's been lacking recently.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Reality is most centers at the amateur level end up as wingers. Top end kids have been likely the best players on their teams for years and the best players play in the middle.

His hockey sense isn't reported to be really high. Not that it's bad, just not exceptional. From that video I saw his hands aren't great, he bobbled a lot of loose pucks and passes. Little bit of Sean Kuraly-like tunnel-vision when carrying the puck on the rush. On the broadcast Burke said he sees this kid as a future big-bodied winger and I agree with him.

His strengths are his skating relative to his size, and his size/strength. Those attributes to me say he's eventually going to be a winger. Playing center in the NHL is really hard in today's era, so much responsibility all over the ice. My first impression are a better skating Pat Maroon.

I'm not trying to be a debbie-downer, I actually have no issues with the pick at all, this organization needs a big-bodied winger in the system as that was one area it's been lacking recently.

Ya, I dont see that. Kid plays a shutdown role in the middle, is great at faceoffs and pk. I also think he's an underrated passer with a good shot but he does need some work. I think he is a center as a pro. Agree to disagree.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins select big center John Beecher at No. 30 in NHL Draft - The Boston Globe

The pick alone caused some drama on the draft floor when the Bruins were placed on the clock just after 11 p.m. General manager Don Sweeney stood up when the Bruins were called and huddled with his assistants, including scouting boss Scott Bradley, and they were still talking at the table when the three-minute time limit expired.

Sweeney later noted that the internal debate was whether to make the pick on Beecher or choose a couple of options: 1. Move the pick in a deal that would bring a current NHL player to the Bruins; 2. Trade down, likely for a pick in the second round, that also would have brought the Bruins another pick in the draft.

“All of the above,” said Sweeney, when asked about those options.

Beecher likes to consider Blake Wheeler, the former Bruin forward, as his prototype.

“I try to model my after a guy like Blake Wheeler,” he said. “I mean, you watch him play, and he’s a big guy. He can skate at the same time. He’s really developed his game since he’s been in his league. He gives me something to shoot for. He’s a leader on the [Jets]. He does everything the right way.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Fair enough. I never like the Bruins picks when they are made and that includes Pastarnak and MacAvoy so it's not like I take myself for an authority on subject or anything.I'm almost always wrong either in not liking the pick or the guy I choose is even worse.

Like anyone else, I choose a prospect and voice disappointment when they choose someone else, which they always do. The only time they picked the player I wanted was Hamilton and look how that worked out.

It's when other posters come in here and start belittling others for simply posting their opinions that things get ramped up. It's crazy how so many posters want to stifle others from simply expressing their thoughts on a message board. Which is exactly what it is intended for.
I always have some favorites .
But I always gave the benefit of the doubt to management.
After all they are the ones who have multiple info from different scouts. We all know It's not a proven science trying to project a teenager a few years into the future.

I'm always on board with the picks, until fans over evaluate a prospect and a chain reaction follows from other fans with no clue just blindly posting why x players is not on the team.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Agree with a lot of this.

I think his floor is very clearly an NHL player. His size, skating, defensive ability. He will be an NHLer. Now whether he is a 4th liner or a top 6 player will depend just how well his offensive ability comes along. Feels like a safe pick in the sense they got an NHLer at 30.

BruinsNetwork

Don't agree with you or Burke on this one. Nothing personal, but I think he's far too reliable of a center to be switched to wing.

Beecher was leaned on really heavily by the USNTDP in defensive and crunch-time situations, especially for face-offs and penalty killing. He's definitely at the top of the draft in regards to two-way ability and face-offs as well. I could see if this were someone who had more high-end traits and wasn't very strong down the middle, but that isn't Beecher.

Think that Beecher is easily one of the most agile, quick, big-bodied skater in the draft. Haven't seen someone with his size and reach possess his agility and skating in a while. Watch him in and around the net, especially after gaining the zone off the rush on a straight line. He can literally stop on a dime and gives defenders fits trying to gauge him as a result of him simply being able to do things most big-bodied players can't. He's an excellent two-way center.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins select big center John Beecher at No. 30 in NHL Draft - The Boston Globe

Beecher likes to consider Blake Wheeler, the former Bruin forward, as his prototype.

“I try to model my after a guy like Blake Wheeler,” he said. “I mean, you watch him play, and he’s a big guy. He can skate at the same time. He’s really developed his game since he’s been in his league. He gives me something to shoot for. He’s a leader on the [Jets]. He does everything the right way.

Blake is actually a pretty darn good comparison.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't agree with you or Burke on this one. Nothing personal, but I think he's far too reliable of a center to be switched to wing.

Beecher was leaned on really heavily by the USNTDP in defensive and crunch-time situations, especially for face-offs and penalty killing. He's definitely at the top of the draft in regards to two-way ability and face-offs as well. I could see if this were someone who had more high-end traits and wasn't very strong down the middle, but that isn't Beecher.

Think that Beecher is easily one of the most agile, quick, big-bodied skater in the draft. Haven't seen someone with his size and reach possess his agility and skating in a while. Watch him in and around the net, especially after gaining the zone off the rush on a straight line. He can literally stop on a dime and gives defenders fits trying to gauge him as a result of him simply being able to do things most big-bodied players can't. He's an excellent two-way center.

Funny thing is when the Bruins acquired Coyle, Burke said the exact same thing about Coyle, in that he didn't see him playing in the middle and should mainly be a winger. And I don't agree with Burke in Coyle's case, I have zero interest in moving Coyle to the wing and find him to be a much better center where he keeps his feet moving and he's more engaged.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Sounds like Kuraly.

BruinsNetwork

Sounds like Kuraly.

His motor and commanding presence down the middle is similar, but he's got much higher potential and naturally better puck-skills and abilities than Kuraly.

Funny thing is when the Bruins acquired Coyle, Burke said the exact same thing about Coyle, in that he didn't see him playing in the middle and should mainly be a winger. And I don't agree with Burke in Coyle's case, I have zero interest in moving Coyle to the wing and find him to be a much better center where he keeps his feet moving and he's more engaged.

I agree and I always felt that Coyle was much better served down the middle than wing. I think that Beecher is much closer to Coyle than he is Kuraly, as well. Potential to be one of those high-end, go-to, two-way commanding centers who's a bastard to play against. His speed, skating and agility is actually absurd for someone of his stature.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I might be a bit disappointed if this is the case- depending on how the org looks. The team needs centers to replace Berg-Krejci. People have also talked about Studnicka playing RW. JFK has gone home and who knows if he will be back? Frederic? Maybe there is something there but his first call-up was rather ass.
Krejci and Marchand First 20 a mess

Over the years from Reggie Leach to Geoff Courtnall to Joe Thornton and Barry Pederson and Al Secord lots of early struggle

Sweeney has said Studnicka and Frederic could start out early as wingers even though end up centers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Krejci and Marchand First 20 a mess

Over the years from Reggie Leach to Geoff Courtnall to Joe Thornton and Barry Pederson and Al Secord lots of early struggle

Sweeney has said Studnicka and Frederic could start out early as wingers even though end up centers

Barry Pederson?

Did you mean Allen Pedersen?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like the concept the plan

You want to have an identity I’m all in on a stocked D and big fast center group with jam

My favorite game of the 24 the Bruins just played was the 4th game against Carolina. They were on the road and no Chara and the D transition was as good as any game I can remember the Bruins playing in years

Ironically that’s supposed to be the game Bergeron hurt his groin - probably because he wasn’t used to all the skating the way the D was retrieving pucks and flying out of the zone

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Barry Pederson?

Did you mean Allen Pedersen?
Ha ha.

Al Pedersen was as nice a person as you could ever met

I have no idea what he does now but I’d bet if it’s not hockey he’s probably not even told his coworkers he once was an NHL player if they didn’t know

Barry Pederson struggled his first month and I think they returned him to Junior

Barry Pederson is my Fred Lynn - always will be my favorite

He was such a great player before the tumor and subsequent trade

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I like the concept the plan

You want to have an identity I’m all in on a stocked D and big fast center group with jam

My favorite game of the 24 the Bruins just played was the 4th game against Carolina. They were on the road and no Chara and the D transition was as good as any game I can remember the Bruins playing in years

Ironically that’s supposed to be the game Bergeron hurt his groin - probably because he wasn’t used to all the skating the way the D was retrieving pucks and flying out of the zone

I was praying he wouldn't play with that broken jaw and referencing how good we looked that game vs Carolina without him.

Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad