Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think there's a lot to like about this kid but I also think the Bruins could have stood to add a guy with more high end offensive ability. Suzuki would have been ideal but he was gone so this is fine. I still think they have yet to acquire their future first line C but there's time.

this seems like a better pick than Frederic though. The fact that this kid has wheels & agility immediately sets him apart from Frederic in my mind.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
NHL Draft: Five Underrated Prospects in 2019 - Overtime Heroics
FEATURED

NHL Draft: Five Underrated Prospects in 2019

John Beecher

John Beecher is an American born center. Last year, he played for the USNTDP and recorded 15 goals and 28 assists in 63 games played. He also posted three goals and added an assist in seven U18 World Junior Championship games. While, as a center, these numbers won’t blow you away, he was the 3rd/4th line center behind Jack Hughes, Trevor Zegras and Alex Turcotte.
Beecher plays a power game and he does it well. He constantly goes to the net and that’s where he gets his goals. He is also a good playmaker. His skating is awkward, but it works for him and should work in the NHL. He is great in the defensive end, able to block shots, hit and has great positioning. There are some questions about his offensive upside, but he’s a great all-around player.

Reactions: BMC, Krupp and TCB

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Low offensive upside, but has size and toughness, projected as a 3rd liner...

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I think there's a lot to like about this kid but I also think the Bruins could have stood to add a guy with more high end offensive ability. Suzuki would have been ideal but he was gone so this is fine. I still think they have yet to acquire their future first line C but there's time.

this seems like a better pick than Frederic though. The fact that this kid has wheels & agility immediately sets him apart from Frederic in my mind.

Suzuki is a perimeter player they say. Then I remember Gretzky hinding behind the net. :huh:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Will play in the NHL in some form. How high is to be seen. I see a 3rd line center that will be good defensively.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
If not Beecher, I would have taken Lavoie over Kaliyev. Hamilton fans do not love Kaliyev. Lazy, moody, and a future contract dispute in the making. Bruins always seem to draft players who want to be there. You need to want to be a Bruin. Beecher may not have top-end skill but he does have elite speed, good hands and size. Seems to have heart as well. Keep in mind...Bruins just lost game 7 due to compete level...not lack of skill.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The more video I watch, the more I love this kid. And the more I understand why the Bruins took him, because everything I've seen so far screams "prototypical Bruin".
  • He's an exceptional skater. Legitimately might be faster than any player currently on the Bruins' roster. He's gonna be a terror at 4-on-4.
  • Worked hard on the backcheck and in his own zone. Lost track of how many times he caught up to opposing players from behind as they were about to cross the offensive blue line. Also used his speed to get to loose pucks at both ends of the ice.
  • He's big, he's physical, and he appears to have a bit of a mean streak.
  • Looks like he's got a pretty good wrist shot, although it looked a little inaccurate at times.
  • He's not David Krejci in terms of passing, but I saw him make several good passes, and his speed creates opportunities and easy passing lanes.
I'm legitimately sold on the pick.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It was funny, as DS stands around and chats before the pick the analysts argue between the two flashy names that the Bruins should pick from...oh, they are so awesome and talented...but as DS reaches the stage we hear that one kid is a one trick pony and the other is lazy...

Boom. I’m out. And I’m sure DS was too..

DS is not going to coincide with the big board. You can count on it. He’s got his own way.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
He was the second guy on my list behind Brink that I wanted to see the Bruins get.

I still think Brink should have been the guy, but Beecher is a nice consolation prize. Studnicka ( 6'2 ), Frederic ( 6'2 ), and Beecher ( 6'3 ) down the middle after the Bergeron/Krejci era comes to a close is a real possibility.

No way they replace Bergy/Krejci

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I imagine the Bruins hope they have three centers set for a decade.

Studnicka (2nd line)
Beecher/Frederic (3rd/4th lines)

Where does the 1st line center come from?

I suppose the grand slam result is:

Studnicka
Beecher
Frederic
Kuraly

The bottom three seem redundant. We'll know in a few years.

That comes when they finish last with that line-up.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I wonder how many people here saw Bergeron and Krejci being a dominant 1-2 punch for 10+ years in 2003/2004.

So many salty wannabe GMs here. So entertaining. The draft is a crapshoot after the top 10. Stop pretending like you're experts.

All you're doing is hating on people for giving their opinion. How is that any better? I don't know anything about this kid but I'm not going to bash on people for not liking the pick. This is a message board. You need thicker skin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad