• #30rd by McKeen’s Hockey
  • #49th by Central Scouting among North Americans
  • #49th by EliteProspects.com
  • #41st by TSN/Bob McKenzie

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ranked 30 to 52... a bit of a safe pick. Again.

At least NBCSN put his upside at middle 6 instead of bottom 6 like Frederic...

After hearing them talk about the 6'2 RW scorer ranked 19 I am underwhelmed.

At least he has speed. And all the intangibles the Bruins crave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97 and EvilDead

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm kind of excited about this pick. He looks like the type of player we are a a bit short of in the prospect pool. I am looking forward to his development. Nice pick, Donnie.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He was the second guy on my list behind Brink that I wanted to see the Bruins get.

I still think Brink should have been the guy, but Beecher is a nice consolation prize. Studnicka ( 6'2 ), Frederic ( 6'2 ), and Beecher ( 6'3 ) down the middle after the Bergeron/Krejci era comes to a close is a real possibility.

Reactions: Ladyfan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
John Beecher's Player Profile

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Buried behind the NTDP's ridiculous center depth is this powerful two-way center in the mold of David Backes. Beecher is impossible to knock off the puck, and his shot is so heavy it can knock a goalie off his skates."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 12th: "Possesses an all-around, solid 200-foot game and can play with the pace desired in today’s NHL."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Nov. 7th: "The type of player every team needs in that he plays the game the right way. Won’t dazzle with offensive ability, but will do enough of the little things to maintain top-six minutes."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Nov. 5th: "Beecher has top-six talent written all over him, but it’s not easy to distinguish oneself on a team loaded down the middle. He’s a powerful skater with excellent agility and does phenomenal work on the penalty kill."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Oct. 2nd: "One of the more cerebral players in this draft class in that he’s not flashy and doesn’t dazzle you with any particular part of his game. However, with his size and ability to play a complete game, he almost always finds a way to contribute."

Last edited:

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
I don't hate it.....kid looks like he can fly and you build your team down the middle G, D, C

They now have Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher and are in good shape. I also definitely buy in to the fact that this kid was stuck behind Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield on the USNTDP and his offensive numbers would have been more impressive if he was getting the PP time and playing with more talented wingers.

Was hoping for Lavoie or Kailyev.....but I'm OK with this pick....can't believe the Canadiens took an American over Lavoie to be honest

Reactions: EvilDead

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don't hate it.....kid looks like he can fly and you build your team down the middle G, D, C

They now have Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher and are in good shape. I also definitely buy in to the fact that this kid was stuck behind Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield on the USNTDP and his offensive numbers would have been more impressive if he was getting the PP time and playing with more talented wingers.

Was hoping for Lavoie or Kailyev.....but I'm OK with this pick....can't believe the Canadiens took an American over Lavoie to be honest

Smurf > Québécois

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
John Beecher's Player Profile

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Buried behind the NTDP's ridiculous center depth is this powerful two-way center in the mold of David Backes. Beecher is impossible to knock off the puck, and his shot is so heavy it can knock a goalie off his skates."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 12th: "Possesses an all-around, solid 200-foot game and can play with the pace desired in today’s NHL."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Nov. 7th: "The type of player every team needs in that he plays the game the right way. Won’t dazzle with offensive ability, but will do enough of the little things to maintain top-six minutes."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Nov. 5th: "Beecher has top-six talent written all over him, but it’s not easy to distinguish oneself on a team loaded down the middle. He’s a powerful skater with excellent agility and does phenomenal work on the penalty kill."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Oct. 2nd: "One of the more cerebral players in this draft class in that he’s not flashy and doesn’t dazzle you with any particular part of his game. However, with his size and ability to play a complete game, he almost always finds a way to contribute."
Reading these make me feel good about the pick

Reactions: TCB

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
With a late first round pick the bruins select a 6-3 200+ pound left shot center from the USA who presents good value as he was stuck behind two stud centers who went much higher. Frederic (matthews, Keller) or Beecher (Hughes, turcotte). Basically he’s Frederic but faster. I’ll take a fast frederic for like two and a regular speed Frederic for line 3.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The USNDTP is reason alone for this pick. 7 of the first 15 picks came from it. You’d have to be a moron to take a US kid first round these days who didn’t make that team. I’m happy Fredric looked bad so go to the well again.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Since 1989.

The Habs have taken 12 Americans in the first round of the NHL Draft.... and 2 Quebecois.

Reactions: Lo97 and CptxMorgan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I imagine the Bruins hope they have three centers set for a decade.

Studnicka (2nd line)
Beecher/Frederic (3rd/4th lines)

Where does the 1st line center come from?

I suppose the grand slam result is:

Studnicka
Beecher
Frederic
Kuraly

The bottom three seem redundant. We'll know in a few years.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think Beecher is more Coyle than Backes ( in terms of power forward-ness ) but we will see. Good prospect for us.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Thanks for posting....like this.

Projection and Comparison

Beecher has the size, skating and defensive game to be an effective forward in the NHL. His offensive game shows flashes but questions remain. Will he produce more with more ice time and some opportunities on the power play? Is there untapped offensive potential there? The team that drafts him could have a real steal if they are willing to be patient. His game is reminiscent of Sean Couturier, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad