Prospect Info: John Beecher signs ELC - 925K AAV

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
How was kreider's offensive upside viewed when drafted? Because they do sound similar.
Quotes I dug up from Chris Kreider's draft:

"It's the first thing [his speed] that stands out when you see him. He had 33 goals in 26 games at Phillips Andover. He's an elite, elite athlete physically, mentally. He's ripped. He blew through the combine in Toronto and he still has room to grow. He'll get thicker. He's gonna be a one or two year player wherever he goes. That's for his family and advisors to decide. He's a very intelligent kid. He can shoot a puck at full speed from the tops of the circle. He gets a lot of breakaways because he's so bloody fast. He's got that Alexander Mogilny-type speed. He's going to a great school. He can get the puck almost anytime he wants."

"Chris is an excellent skater with explosive speed and acceleration. His short-distance speed is exceptional. He sees the play ahead of time and knows what he's going to do with the puck as soon as he gets it. He is an excellent passer and playmaker. His foot speed, combined with his anticipation and quick stick, gives him the ability to create turnovers and gain puck possession. He is a constant threat to develop breakaways on the penalty-killing unit. He has both an excellent wrist and slap shot, which he disguises well and releases quickly. He can score goals in a number of ways."

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's great to hear. I missed the interview.
Sweeney said he was on such a stacked US program he wasn’t put in many situations to show his offense

He said he improved second half and Bruins did a lot of work on him and think he could develop that area

He said if his offense doesn’t ‘pop’ he would still be a very hard player to play against

Floor is probably Kuraly and that’s good

He also said Michigan sees him as a top 6 center which is huge

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Basically exact same thing other than this guy being a center. Krieder was never thought to be goal scorer just nose for net, speed and 200 foot player. I don’t think CK scored much in college iirc

In 114 career NCAA games, he scored 49 goals.

15 goals in 38 games (Freshman)
11 goals in 32 games (Sophomore)
23 goals in 44 games (Junior)

To the pros.

Reactions: Lo97

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sweeney said he was on such a stacked US program he wasn’t put in many situations to show his offense

He said he improved second half and Bruins did a lot of work on him and think he could develop that area

He said if his offense doesn’t ‘pop’ he would still be a very hard player to play against

Floor is probably Kuraly and that’s good

He also said Michigan sees him as a top 6 center which is huge

They drafted a kid who should play in the NHL in some capacity. I love the pick. I know people wanted the flashy players who fell, but as it's been said, they fell for reasons. It's not just because the Bruins didn't want them. They all (that I've seen mentioned) fell to the 2nd round. It will be very interesting to see where Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink ends up going. It would be awesome if Boston can get back into the 2nd to draft one of the fallers, but I'm sure they'll be gone by #40 overall.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They drafted a kid who should play in the NHL in some capacity. I love the pick. I know people wanted the flashy players who fell, but as it's been said, they fell for reasons. It's not just because the Bruins didn't want them. They all (that I've seen mentioned) fell to the 2nd round. It will be very interesting to see where Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink ends up going. It would be awesome if Boston can get back into the 2nd to draft one of the fallers, but I'm sure they'll be gone by #40 overall.
I’d have been happy with many of the available players there

Robertson
Vlasic
Kaliyev
Lavoie
Brink
Etc

Philosophically if your vision is an elite puck moving D that defends well, big 200-foot, 3 zone centers that can skate and have balance, and fill in on the wings - take shots (they already got Pastrnak & DeBrusk at age 23 and 22) that’s a winning formula

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Funny but the Bruins are drafting big and physical lately and the Habs small and skilled

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
2. Beecher was buried under the best centers in the entire draft. The same cannot be said for Senyshyn. Soo Greyhounds were good...but not close to the USNTDP this year.
The SOO Greyhounds set a franchise record in points that year while leading the league in GF and third in GA so they were very good that year.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The SOO Greyhounds set a franchise record in points that year while leading the league in GF and third in GA so they were very good that year.

Good team...great results...lots of guys drafted overall. But still, this year’s USNTDP was in its own class. Look at how many players were drafted in the first this year. Which forwards went in the first from the Soo? Jared McCann? Nick Ritchie? Not exactly generational talents...

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I like the pick. I don't know enough about who else was on the board as I don't follow the prospects very closely leading into the draft, but center prospects is a big area of need and this kid looks to be promising. You're never going to get a sure fire #1 center at pick 30, but getting a guy that at least should make the NHL is big.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Good team...great results...lots of guys drafted overall. But still, this year’s USNTDP was in its own class. Look at how many players were drafted in the first this year. Which forwards went in the first from the Soo? Jared McCann? Nick Ritchie? Not exactly generational talents...
Does make you wonder how they may have over benefited statistically and for a scouts eye from each other’s talent - it’s got to hit a tipping point somewhere.

31 spots and kaliyev was passed on every single time. That's not a red flag to you? I wanted him but Beecher was a solid pick.
That alone shouldn’t raise flags - it’s the reason/s teams passed on him that would. Like Pasta dropping to the mid 20’s because of injury. Sure there were red flags about his ability to stay healthy but they took that risk with the pure skill, creativity, and value at that pick that balanced out the scales in his favor.

The real question is why he fell- was it inconsistency and lack of compete at both ends of the ice?

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Kaliyev still not drafted though.

Fair enough. I never like the Bruins picks when they are made and that includes Pastarnak and MacAvoy so it's not like I take myself for an authority on subject or anything.I'm almost always wrong either in not liking the pick or the guy I choose is even worse.

Like anyone else, I choose a prospect and voice disappointment when they choose someone else, which they always do. The only time they picked the player I wanted was Hamilton and look how that worked out.

It's when other posters come in here and start belittling others for simply posting their opinions that things get ramped up. It's crazy how so many posters want to stifle others from simply expressing their thoughts on a message board. Which is exactly what it is intended for.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Fair enough. I never like the Bruins picks when they are made and that includes Pastarnak and MacAvoy so it's not like I take myself for an authority on subject or anything.I'm almost always wrong either in not liking the pick or the guy I choose is even worse.

Like anyone else, I choose a prospect and voice disappointment when they choose someone else, which they always do. The only time they picked the player I wanted was Hamilton and look how that worked out.

It's when other posters come in here and start belittling others for simply posting their opinions that things get ramped up. It's crazy how so many posters want to stifle others from simply expressing their thoughts on a message board. Which is exactly what it is intended for.

You made it clear you just crap on the picks just because, Not sure how this translates into an opinion or expressing thoughts. The board gets cluttered up with so much nonsense my eyes start to bleed and then I log off and come back later lol

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad