Joffrey Lupul

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I remember the lines after Clarkson returned from suspension and before Bolland injured himself and since TO had that great start I expect RC will roll the lines like that if Bolland returns healthy.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Bolland/Clarkson
Raymond/Kadri/Kule
? or McLaren/McC/Orr

When Bolland returns TO is up against the cap again so I'd expect Bodie, Aston and Holland to be sent back to the Marlies.

mikebel111*

I remember the lines after Clarkson returned from suspension and before Bolland injured himself and since TO had that great start I expect RC will roll the lines like that if Bolland returns healthy.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Bolland/Clarkson
Raymond/Kadri/Kule
? or McLaren/McC/Orr

When Bolland returns TO is up against the cap again so I'd expect Bodie, Aston and Holland to be sent back to the Marlies.

Why do posters keep on putting raymond and kadri together? They were terrible together. Bolland and raymond had nice chemistry together early in the season.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
have weird feeling hes saving himself, playing cautious hockey, less physical.

guy is glass but has some decent playoff performance history, im ok if he lights it up in the playoffs and provides good leadership.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
With jvr and kessel playing so incredible, lupul has dropped to 3rd favourite winger in Toronto. All the way from first a couple seasons ago, when he was being proclaimed toronto's next captain (even by me).

I know he hasn't looked the same, but neither did Grabo/Kulemin and MacArthur once they lost the 1st liner perks.

How much has lupuls pp time regressed since the emergence of jvr?

Lupul produced a lot better than JVR on the top line, and again last season. I think he was moved to help shift the scoring, not because someone took his job. I hope it is just a slump (nobody is saying Kadri is underproducing because of age) and not because he has an ongoing undisclosed injury issue.

Sometimes players just slump or have an off year. 30 bad games doesn't make a player a dud and 30 good games(or 15) doesn't make him a stud. The club as a whole had a couple of brutal stretches and came out of it. He should too.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lupul produced a lot better than JVR on the top line, and again last season. I think he was moved to help shift the scoring, not because someone took his job. I hope it is just a slump (nobody is saying Kadri is underproducing because of age) and not because he has an ongoing undisclosed injury issue.

Sometimes players just slump or have an off year. 30 bad games doesn't make a player a dud and 30 good games(or 15) doesn't make him a stud. The club as a whole had a couple of brutal stretches and came out of it. He should too.

Yeah, everyone is happy with JVR, but I see no reason to think Lupul wouldn't continue to produce more if he were put back in the same spot with Kessel. It'd be nice to see if JVR would work with Kadri, but at the end of the day, both lines are playing pretty well and it's probably not worth trying to fix something that isn't broken at this point in the season.

Durkin67

I think the difference is JvR's net presence. It creates space for Kessel. Lupes is also a shooter. Clarkson does the dirty deed on the 2nd line to open up space for both Lupul and Kadri. They just need time to find that rhythm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Lupul were on Team Canada, could he buy into the team concept of defence first approach? This is the question Nonis may have to answer. I am not so sure.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Lupul was a point per game player on the 1st line. When he came back from injury last year, he continued to rampage despite being on the second line. It doesn't matter what line you put him on, if he's on the second line that means he goes against teams secondary defensive units, and when he's in beast mode he eats them alive (as demonstrated last year when he came back from injury) Both him and Kadri have been pretty inconsistent this year, but I think that Kessel's line will cool down in the coming stretch, while Lupul and Kadri heat up. I love how our team looks when fully healthy, 3 dangerous lines.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
When he isn't contributing offensively, he is completely useless

Exhibit A: Tonight

I think that is biggest criticism on him by most. Whether he looks good putting up the points is irrelevant so long as he's putting up the points but the defensive side you can't hide from. People rest the laurels on his offensive game as if that's all you need to look at to determine how well he's playing.

There was one Leaf that was repeatedly caught trying to skate through two defenders when there was a safer route to take to ensure puck possession. On most attempts he turned the puck over...he also wore #19. I'm not trying to rag on the guy but fair is fair. His defensive play has been noticeably atrocious and it should be called out just like how every other player gets their fair share under the bright lights of scrutiny.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
I hope you're being facetious because that's a pretty extreme summation of his ability as a player.

Very talented and very capable, but very little will to make a consistent effort. Classic case of slacking after a big pay day. Based on the how Lupul has been playing of late, scrub status is not far off.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If Lupul were on Team Canada, could he buy into the team concept of defence first approach? This is the question Nonis may have to answer. I am not so sure.

how i wonder what people think they are describing when they call Canada's performance at the olympics "defense first"

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
as if the thing that made Canada dominate the medal round of that tournament was a collective commitment to a "defense-first approach"

forget the fact that the team was better, to a man, than any of the teams it faced.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Lupul probably couldn't have participated in the perpetual motion machine of dominance that was Canada's team at the olympics. this is due to the fact that 1) he's not as good as all the players on team canada at the olympics 2) he doesn't play on a team filled with the best players at the olympics.

of course the most important matter is Lupul's commitment to playing defense. did you see how dominant Canada's defense was? they defended so voraciously that opposing teams would choose to score on their own nets to avoid having to continue attempting to penetrate such a defense. as Randy has already said, what more proof do you need of the importance of defense?

MrLegend28*

Very talented and very capable, but very little will to make a consistent effort. Classic case of slacking after a big pay day. Based on the how Lupul has been playing of late, scrub status is not far off.

lol no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad