Joffrey Lupul

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Depends what your expectations are for a $5.25M UFA contract.

Stephen Weiss - 4 points in 26 games for $4.9M
Patrice Bergeron - 38 points in 57 games for $5M
Martin Havlat - 10 points in 28 games for $5M
Joffrey Lupul - 34 points in 51 games for $5.25M
David Clarkson - 10 points in 39 games for $5.25M
Nathan Horton - 11 points in 18 games for $5.3M

While some of those names may have conveniently been cherry-picked your point is certainly worth noting.

ForSpareParts*

I have no idea why our own "fans" keep harping on this point. Oh what, for once one of our players hasn't been crucified for underperforming based on ridiculous expectations set by the outlandish Toronto media and fans? What a shame.

He has been a heart and soul player for us the previous two seasons that he has played for us. He's performing at a 27G-54pt pace this season which is far from terrible anyways. I think the Olympic break will give him some time to regain his focus and perhaps allow some injuries to heal.

You have to remember, he set the these high expectations for himself. We received him as a salary dump in the François Beauchemin-Jake Gardiner swap and if he finishes the season at his current pace, it would actually be arguably the best statistical season of his career not in a Toronto Maple Leaf sweater.

Why are Leaf fans so quick to jump down our player's throats?

Fans have got to stop perverting the term: "heart and soul" when describing players.

Wendel was heart and soul, but that term has also been used by fans to describe Grabo. Grabo is heart and soul?!!?!!? Other honourable mentions:

Mike Brown
Jay Rosehill
Ian White
Dominic Moore
And now Lupul is heart and soul?!

Leaf fans seem to not notice defensively disinterested players like Lupul.

His fans must be checking his stats every day saying: "look! He's on pace for 50 points! What a heart and soul guy"

Give me a break.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He was scoring at a pace which he likely wasnt going too sustain.
Regressing imo

so 34 points in 51 games is a better sample size than 104 points in 110 games which is what he played at prior tot his year?

I prefer the bigger and more optimistic sample size. It's like everyone in this thread already said, he's not playing with his usual intensity. When he does play with that intensity, he's an entirely different beast.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
While some of those names may have conveniently been cherry-picked your point is certainly worth noting.

Cherry-picked? They're all very close to his salary range. The only thing I cherry-picked was leaving RFAs out of the equation and cap circumventive contracts like Hossa. I put Weiss in there because he was a recent signing in the same range. I should have placed Filppula in there as well, but forgot, so here he is:

Valtteri Filppula - 41 points in 56 games for $5M

Here's a few more:

Tomas Plekanec - 33 points in 59 games for $5M
Ales Hemsky - 24 points in 52 games for $5M
Brian Gionta - 29 points in 58 games for $5M
Shane Doan - 31 points in 45 games for $5.5M
Shawn Horcoff - 16 points in 57 games for $5.5M

GilmourClarkScores

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Can anyone tell me what's going on with my favorite player? Is he playing injured? Hasn't been the same this year. He looks slow out there and his decision making isint very good. Last year he was flying and was making something happen every time he touches the puck. Can someone tell me what's going on?

Somehow it's David Clarkson's fault

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
In reality he's not doing that bad for a second line player, what's really gotten him down this season is his defensive play imo. He's still a pretty attractive asset that could be moved if need be.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's easy to blame an injury but I think it's just a tough tough patch of hockey he's going through.

He's played his off-wing for quite a while as well, which he's said numerous times he's not comfortable with, but Carlyle insisted in playing him there while Raymond completely sucked on the other wing.

I don't think there's a right answer here. I think he was never as good as he was last season or when he was acquired, but he's better then what he's showed recently. He's been weak on the puck and not making good decisions either.

Hopefully the Olympic break will give him some much needed time off to refocus. He can definitely take over a game when he's playing with emotion and moving his feet, but we haven't seen any of that lately. We need to see his fire a lot more, especially down the stretch.

Well said!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Cherry-picked? They're all very close to his salary range. The only thing I cherry-picked was leaving RFAs out of the equation and cap circumventive contracts like Hossa. I put Weiss in there because he was a recent signing in the same range. I should have placed Filppula in there as well, but forgot, so here he is:

Valtteri Filppula - 41 points in 56 games for $5M

Here's a few more:

Tomas Plekanec - 33 points in 59 games for $5M
Ales Hemsky - 24 points in 52 games for $5M
Brian Gionta - 29 points in 58 games for $5M
Shane Doan - 31 points in 45 games for $5.5M
Shawn Horcoff - 16 points in 57 games for $5.5M

Some people have just fallen behind the times. Gone are the days where 5 million dollars was for elite players and everyone but your best players made 1-2 million.

The average salary of a cap spending team is now around 3 million dollars. You can hardly get an NHLer who can stay out of the pressbox for less than 2 these days unless they are on an ELC.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With the exception of about 10 games or so, he's been dreadful this season.

His production has been on par with a 2nd liner, but his defensive play and intensity have been below average at best for the majority of the season. Pretty much a 180 from the last couple of seasons where I thought he was one of the best "complete" players on the team.

Phoenix is in desperate need of a winger fighting against Dallas/Vancouver for that last wild card spot. They are looking for a winger with Hanzel/Vrbata I think. I would offer Lupul + in a deal for Yandle and move Gardiner for a cheaper Kadri winger option with some size.

Leafstreak

Nov 26, 2013
Thing is he'll always be a 25-30 goal man. Last year was his "coming-out" party in which he was started to get recognized throughout the league as a legit scorer so now he's no longer taking anyone by surprise.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Phoenix is in desperate need of a winger fighting against Dallas/Vancouver for that last wild card spot. They are looking for a winger with Hanzel/Vrbata I think. I would offer Lupul + in a deal for Yandle and move Gardiner for a cheaper Kadri winger option with some size.

it would probably take lupul and gardiner to get yandle. would be nice though

phaneuf-gunnarson
yandle-gleason
rielly-franson

then we wouldnt have any wingers though:cry:

Masked Superstar

Jul 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I know what you mean though he isn't dominating games the way he was at the end of last year. the way Kessel is playing it is overshadowing a lot of others but he is getting good numbers (as I am sure has been pointed out). if you trade Lupul you spend the next 2 years looking for secondary scoring

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

How about names like Jeff Carter, Evander Kane, Ryan O'Rielly, Ryan Kesler, Bobby Ryan.

All with a quarter million dollars of Lupul's cap hit, all scoring between 25 and 30 goal paces, 50-60 point paces.

Which is exactly what Lupul is playing at.

Fair contract is fair contract

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
he's off the top line and the top power play in favour of JVR.

just not getting the same opportunities as last season.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
he's off the top line and the top power play in favour of JVR.

just not getting the same opportunities as last season.

Pretty much. He's still producing at a decent clip, just not getting the prime icetime and situations that he got before. Depth!

I do wish he would clean up his neutral zone play though. Seems to be turning over the puck a little too much of late, but I'm not too worried.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
So? Who cares if they signed as an RFA or UFA. They're all wingers, all have similar cap hits, all around the same play as Lupul.

The fact they signed as RFA's actually make Lupul's contract better looking IMO.

I don't think you understand the significant difference between RFA and UFA contract values. The negotiating power significantly swings in the player's favour when they become a UFA. Thus, in almost all cases, UFAs are overvalued and RFAs are undervalued. This is a rare case where Lupul is not overvalued, but that doesn't mean you can then compare him to RFAs who negotiated their deals under different circumstances.

So yes, it's a good contract, but if those players were to sign their deals as UFAs they'd all easily be making more than $6M.

Nonis was impressively perceptive enough to lock Lupul in at that contract value when he did. Had Lupul gone to the open market, hoo boy.

All of this circles back to what is expected from a $5.25M UFA. I'd say Lupul's points pace places him right where he should be for that salary.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Lupul has been fine. He hasn't taken over games like last year but his production has been acceptable.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
^ Agreed, but he just looks weird out there. His passes are missing, his hands seem to have gotten worse, just awkward. Production is definitely there though.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
^ Agreed, but he just looks weird out there. His passes are missing, his hands seem to have gotten worse, just awkward. Production is definitely there though.

I agree with this. Im not worried though. Every player goes through peaks and valleys. If a 25g, 50 pt season constitutes a valley I'll consider us lucky.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He's managing to produce but he's looked quite off most of the year while doing it. I'm not so concerned with how he manages to put up points while not looking as sharp offensively. The greater concern is the way he's playing when he doesn't have the puck on his stick. Of all the players in the ball park of ice time as him, he is easily the worst defensively of the bunch and that's something I would hope an older player will figure out and try to address. People like to call him the heart and soul of the team...the true captain...well improving that area of his game and being an example to the rest of his younger teammates would be a step in the right direction in actually earning that kind of reputation.

mikebel111*

I think he is regressing but at the same time, IMO its because of his lack of effort. Get that motor running joffery!
Hopefully he comes back better after break

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad