Joffrey Lupul

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Just curious, would a Lupul for Byfuglien deal be workable? Wondering as the contracts are similar, so are the ages and +/- and Maurice has Buf playing on the wing again. This is not a proposal or something like that, just a question about whether or not I'm even in the right ballpark.

Another slow, lazy, bad defensively D-man? No thanks. We need someone that will actually help.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lupul and Clarkson, not earning their 5.25 contracts this year.

This guy is getting a pass due to Clarkson's bad year. Not enough focus on him.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lupul and Clarkson, not earning their 5.25 contracts this year.

This guy is getting a pass due to Clarkson's bad year. Not enough focus on him.

Well for one thing he's not getting a pass. People have been on his ass all year.

Secondly, he's still on pace for like 25/25. That's barely underperforming his contract.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well for one thing he's not getting a pass. People have been on his ass all year.

Secondly, he's still on pace for like 25/25. That's barely underperforming his contract.

Barely? He hasn't been the force he was for us in his previous years, just call it for what it is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yea, But it's not even close who's under achieving more.

Lupul could still conceivably get 25 goals this year.

He was signed as a core player by Nonis, he was supposed to be up there with Kessel and JVR as our go to fwds.

He needs to play better, I am sure he would be the first to admit it.

If Kadri, Lupul, and Kule can get on a run, we make the playoffs. It's as simple as that for me.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Barely? He hasn't been the force he was for us in his previous years, just call it for what it is.

No he wasn't the force he was but the force he was was being underpayed. 30/30 would be great production for a 5.25 guy. The PPG player he was before was stellar value.

You could switch him with JVR and he'd play just as well if not better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No he wasn't the force he was but the force he was was being underpayed. 30/30 would be great production for a 5.25 guy. The PPG player he was before was stellar value.

He is a difference maker when he is on his game, this year other than shootouts, he has not been that difference maker.

If he shows up the last 19 games, when it matters, I will be more apt to forgive his season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He is a difference maker when he is on his game, this year other than shootouts, he has not been that difference maker.

If he shows up the last 19 games, when it matters, I will be more apt to forgive his season.

No forgiveness necessary IMO. One of he or JVR was going to get the short stick and play on the second line instead of on the first with Kessel. We could just as easily be having this conversation about JVR.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Well now I have heard it all, don't even group Lupul with that bum. That's embarrassing Lupul at least contributes, off year yes, but he is not some void and for his money you can't rip into him, no way.

And to add, you know what, when a player likes playing his off wing leave him on it. Talk about disturbing his pattern wtg Randy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well now I have heard it all, don't even group Lupul with that bum. That's embarrassing Lupul at least contributes, off year yes, but he is not some void and for his money you can't rip into him, no way.

And to add, you know what, when a player likes playing his off wing leave him on it. Talk about disturbing his pattern wtg Randy.

Comparing, who said that?

Lupul earned his contract on the level of play he has displayed the last 2 seasons.

85 points, 83GP. 1.04PPG +9

This season

36 points, 55GP. .65PPG -9

No excuses, he is healthy now, he needs to do better at 5.25M

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Comparing, who said that?

Lupul earned his contract on the level of play he has displayed the last 2 seasons.

85 points, 83GP. 1.04PPG +9

This season

36 points, 55GP. .65PPG -9

No excuses, he is healthy now, he needs to do better at 5.25M

Not much. I mean... he's on pace for 54 points. 5 million isn't star-money anymore. A productive weekend could put him where he needs to be.

What do you need to see from a second liner making 5?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the issue was signing him in the first place. The guy is basically our version of Matt Moulson, or a better Clarke MacArthur.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
He's not going to get you PPG results playing second line minutes, it's just not possible with our first line scoring like it does. Even at .6 ppg he's still well worth his contract, but I will say he's a lot less noticeable this season. I feel like most of his points have been coming at a lot less important moments, he's not been a game changer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not much. I mean... he's on pace for 54 points. 5 million isn't star-money anymore. A productive weekend could put him where he needs to be.

What do you need to see from a second liner making 5?

I am confused, you do not see a big difference in production, nevermind he goes weeks not scoring, only to have big games in sporadically.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I am confused, you do not see a big difference in production, nevermind he goes weeks not scoring, only to have big games in sporadically.

Confused about what? All I asked was what you expect from a second liner making 5 million.

Yeah there's a difference in production but it's about what I would assume from a guy who goes from 1st line and 1st PP to 2nd line and 2nd PP.

Did you expect his production to remain constant?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If Lupul needs to do better at 5.25, Then where the hell does that leave Clarkson at the same money?

It's probably not farfetched to think Lupul has already scored double in terms of goals than Clarkson will get in the whole year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Confused about what? All I asked was what you expect from a second liner making 5 million.

Yeah there's a difference in production but it's about what I would assume from a guy who goes from 1st line and 1st PP to 2nd line and 2nd PP.

Did you expect his production to remain constant?

I expect Lupul to play closer to the level that he is capable of, that is to his previous 2 seasons with us.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Amazing how a guy on pace for like 23 goals and 50 pts is being ragged on.

Hes not stellar defensively, but hes earning his salary.

Points aren't everything. Lupul is a lazy player that does nothing on the defensive end.

I'd rather have Lupul work hard for 40 games and be on IR for the other 42 than have him cost us goals for 82 games because he's coasting.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Amazing how a guy on pace for like 23 goals and 50 pts is being ragged on.

Hes not stellar defensively, but hes earning his salary.

Yea exactly. He's providing solid production for his salary. I would like to see him limit his turnovers better, but he's definitely not holding this team back.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If Lupul needs to do better at 5.25, Then where the hell does that leave Clarkson at the same money?

It's probably not farfetched to think Lupul has already scored double in terms of goals than Clarkson will get in the whole year.

Clarkson is sunk cost, he's not a good hockey player so just assume that anything good he does is a bonus for the Leafs.

It makes it easier to deal with his terrible contract if you think of it that way.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Points aren't everything. Lupul is a lazy player that does nothing on the defensive end.

I'd rather have Lupul work hard for 40 games and be on IR for the other 42 than have him cost us goals for 82 games because he's coasting.

I certainly never expected a selke level effort out of him. Almost our entire team has defensive deficiencies, and picking on Lupul seems rather silly, especially considering his living up to his contract on the offensive side of things.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

How many goals against has he been responsible for with his defensive zone coverage? And his precise passing on to the sticks of the opposition. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad