Joffrey Lupul

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
he could be playing injured. remember that 'bruised' foot (and groin pull)? i don't remember what the xray showed, but playing a full schedule may not have given him a proper chance to heal.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Statistically, he has not been offensively better on the LW than on the RW (not significantly anyways).

However, he is noticeably better defensively on the RW as opposed to the LW.

I think Carlyle's instincts are right about this. Keep him on the RW.

(Just don't play him with Raymond).

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Wouldn't be surprised if him and Kadri go on hot streaks and put up PPGs in the coming 20 or so games.

Bolland's coming back and I bet Carlyle will match Dave's line with the other team's best line as much as possible. That will mean Kadri and Lupul will go up against 3rd line competition

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He's on pace for 27 goals and 27 assists over an 82 game season.

He earns the same money as David Clarkson.

Nahhh... he's fine.

mikebel111*

Wouldn't be surprised if him and Kadri go on hot streaks and put up PPGs in the coming 20 or so games.

Bolland's coming back and I bet Carlyle will match Dave's line with the other team's best line as much as possible. That will mean Kadri and Lupul will go up against 3rd line competition

Kadri has been great last month or
so. He stays as 2nd line C

Leafstreak

Nov 26, 2013
I dont understand why everyone is saying he is a bad defensive player. Sure his +/- isnt very good, but hasn't anyone noticed that he's been one of the 3 forwards out where we're defending a one-goal lead last minute of the game?

Most recent examples : Vancouver. MTL (Got the empty-netter)

mikebel111*

I dont understand why everyone is saying he is a bad defensive player. Sure his +/- isnt very good, but hasn't anyone noticed that he's been one of the 3 forwards out where we're defending a one-goal lead last minute of the game?

Doesnt mean much. Lupul is one of the worst defensive players on the team and thats a fact. I could even argue even the worst.

And randy likes to match lines. I guess that is a reason why. Plus that line was great last game. Well lupul not so much but randy usually rewards entire line even if one player wasnt good

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

One of the 3 forwards? Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Kulemin, Kadri, McClement are all forwards who have been used late in a game when the team has a lead. Randy matches lines. I don't think there's much room for debate...Lupul's bad +/- is a fair reflection of his poor defense this season.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Statistically, he has not been offensively better on the LW than on the RW (not significantly anyways).

However, he is noticeably better defensively on the RW as opposed to the LW.

I think Carlyle's instincts are right about this. Keep him on the RW.

(Just don't play him with Raymond).

You have the wings messed up.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Oh I meant this season, but I'll dig up the stats.

Yea I meant this season as well. There's a huge difference in his defensive play on the left side though.

There's a reason teams like Boston, New Jersey and St. Louis try to keep all their players on their strong side. It's easier to get out of your zone that way.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Lupul likes the left side because he can do 1 timers. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to do those 1 timers often for some reason this season. His highlights when he played with Kessel were always sick 1 timers that blew past the goalie in an instant

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Can anyone tell me what's going on with my favorite player? Is he playing injured? Hasn't been the same this year. He looks slow out there and his decision making isint very good. Last year he was flying and was making something happen every time he touches the puck. Can someone tell me what's going on?

Regression to the mean. Look at his career and see that this is his norm.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
It sucks JVR stole his spot on the top line. Lupul and Kessel were just as good as JVR and Kessel. Once Kadri starts developing im sure Lupul will find a way to score again.

Or once Bolland comes back make a line of Bolland, Lupul and someone else. Try that for a while.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Regression to the mean. Look at his career and see that this is his norm.

This is a pretty simplistic explanation. Regression to the mean isn't just some buzz phrase that is applicable everywhere.

Injuries, playing time, opportunity and age all played factors in those previous years. Regression to teh mean isn't fair nor is it correct to state right now. It's a little bit more complicated than that

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
This is a pretty simplistic explanation. Regression to the mean isn't just some buzz phrase that is applicable everywhere.

Injuries, playing time, opportunity and age all played factors in those previous years. Regression to teh mean isn't fair nor is it correct to state right now. It's a little bit more complicated than that

Fair enough, but I was trying to be simplistic here.

He'll get injured almost every season and give you the occasional hot streak but what you see is what you get until he really starts to fall apart. I'm guessing his hot couple of seasons was just that. Still a dangerous player in spurts.

Last edited:

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
what where people actually expecting out of Lupul this year? PPG? that's not realistic. He will finish the year around 30-30 that's awsome production for a second line winger. People need to stop crying about his defensive play and look at his offense. Some teams don't have any 30 goal scorers, we have the luxury of having one on our second line. We should appreciate that more often.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
what where people actually expecting out of Lupul this year? PPG? that's not realistic. He will finish the year around 30-30 that's awsome production for a second line winger. People need to stop crying about his defensive play and look at his offense. Some teams don't have any 30 goal scorers, we have the luxury of having one on our second line. We should appreciate that more often.

He needs 13 goals and 26pts in 22 games to finish 30/30 , he's also never had a 30 goal season .

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

So you want people to dumb down their knowledge and understanding of the game just so Lupul doesn't have to be criticized? Just because he's a forward doesn't mean that points are all that matters and poor defense is excusable. Give your head a shake. If a guy like Kessel (who doesn't even like to take a hit) and is a far superior offensive player than Lupul can make strides in his defensive game and look like he gives a damn when he's in his own end of the ice, what excuse does Lupul have? Absolutely none. If you like wearing your rose tinted glasses, that's fine. But don't tell people they're crying just because they choose to see things for what they actually are.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
So you want people to dumb down their knowledge and understanding of the game just so Lupul doesn't have to be criticized? Just because he's a forward doesn't mean that points are all that matters and poor defense is excusable. Give your head a shake. If a guy like Kessel (who doesn't even like to take a hit) and is a far superior offensive player than Lupul can make strides in his defensive game and look like he gives a damn when he's in his own end of the ice, what excuse does Lupul have? Absolutely none. If you like wearing your rose tinted glasses, that's fine. But don't tell people they're crying just because they choose to see things for what they actually are.

I'm not saying Lupul shouldn't be criticized, every player deserves to be criticized. Lupul has made tons of strides in his game, he's not the same player he was for the ducks. I just don't understand the blind rage some fans have. People went from throwing Kadri in every proposal possible, praising Holland as his replacement, labelling him a bust to now again worshiping the ground he walks on in a matter of 3 weeks. Players have cold streaks, some players don't play as good overall as they do when there scoring. When Lupul is scoring and his motivated his defensive game will come around. Give it a couple of weeks a rested Lupul will score a couple of big goals, and everyone will be on his Jock again praising him as our "real" captain.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It sucks JVR stole his spot on the top line. Lupul and Kessel were just as good as JVR and Kessel. Once Kadri starts developing im sure Lupul will find a way to score again.

Or once Bolland comes back make a line of Bolland, Lupul and someone else. Try that for a while.

JVR + Kessel > Lupul + Kessel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad